IGNORED

here's some music i've been listening to recently

kokoon

i've been on a black/doom/ambient binge recently, and i want to share with you guys some great stuff i've came across lately.

Smorzando+Smrad.jpg

Smorzando - Smrad

this is special. it's something you can listen to right after (or even between) you run out of Paysage d'Hiver albums. it's not like it's a PDH ripoff, but there are some strong parallels. both guys come from Switzerland. both create *really* immersive atmospheric black metal. smudged, texture-heavy blizzards of rage. but smorzando feels more energetic, less depressed. it still sounds desperate, the vocals are very emotive screeches. if you like Paysage d'Hiver, Nordlicht, Darkspace, Trist and the rest of the crowd, check this out.

sample it:

fauna.jpg

Fauna - Rain

killer black metal from peers of Wolves in the Throne Room. actually, Fauna are kind of integral to the "cascadia" metal scene that's been brewing in the recent past. they've been a great inspiration of many bands (WITTR included) and they're still kicking. they play a live a lot, but their live appearances are more like rituals in the woods. i know that might put off some of you, but before judging - check out the music. recently re-released Rain is an hour long epic, just like they're doing it live. it's totally absorbed me, i'm listening to it a lot. it's beautiful, sad, brutal, uplifting... all at once. if you're a fan of any metal, but especially folk/black, you might really really like this.

this is the only clip i found online:

Skagos+-+%C3%81st.jpg

Skagos - Ást

i could compare Skagos to Drudkh like many do, but i won't. i think they really stand on their own as one of the most interesting bands, at least if judging by this year's full-length release. again from the cascadian region of Canada, influences of the scene there are unmistakable. black metal they play has a very strong feeling of nature, not unlike WITTR. but they do it in their own style - a bit rougher, maybe, but still very melodic and emotive. i'm a bit short of words here, i can just add that it's "beautiful" :)

check it:

-------------------

i'll finish right here for tonight, there are maybe five more releases/acts that i'd like you guys to let you know about.

i know it's quite possible i'll be totally ignored with all this, and watmm being an "idm" board. but i just had to let somebody know. if you dig some of these, let me know right here in this thread. or if you already know the stuff and would like to share your own opinion. in any case, i'll be really glad if anyone responds :)

Smorzando - Smrad

don´t know if related but smrad means bad smell in slovak language :D

Yep, it's the same in slovenian. Stink, actually. I cant figure out why this title, though - there's nothing stinky about this record.

messhuguh is pretty lame actually

this skagos shit is great. from vancouver island i guess? any way, love it. the rest i've dappled in before, good stuff

and lol at idm nerds mocking metal.

don't get me wrong, i can dig some meshsuhguh but a lot of their shit is just boring. and lots of halfbaked metal fans think they are the best thing out there which i just can't take seriously, that's just silly..

I will check these out this weekend, I have a soft spot for black metal when done right.

nice, let me know what you think here in this thread.

messhuguh is pretty lame actually

this skagos shit is great. from vancouver island i guess? any way, love it. the rest i've dappled in before, good stuff

and lol at idm nerds mocking metal.

i knew for sure you were going to dig Skagos :)

yeah, they're from vancouver island.

also, make sure you really check out Fauna - Rain. at 63 minutes it's a bit a tough nut to crack, but you'll probably really really like it.

why do you guys keep bringing up mesuggah in this thread? am i failing to see some obvious glaring similarity to the stuff i posted, or is it just it's the only "metal" you guys know/listen to? if it's the latter, download the stuff i wrote about and get workin.

Archived