IGNORED

Quaristice/ Versions/ Quadrange EP

thehauntingsoul

i think i've just let go of my attachment to Autechre always having to sound complicated. after the bar was set so high in complexity with Confield's insanely complex fragmented drum patterns and Draft's masterful bass drum fart melodies that the stuff afterwards (at least at first) left me wanting something deeper and more mysterious, a feeling i felt from draft and confield but didn't immediately get from untilted or quaristice. I also don't really see Quaristice as an Autechre returning to their back catalog type of project, i see it as possibly one of the most extreme changes in direction the have done. it took me a while to appreciate what they were setting out to do in Quaristice.

I did know that it took me some time to really like the last eps so I started to listen to quaristice for 3 month nonstop after it came out

then I went to autechre live and all made perfect sense

now it reminds me a lot of speedy j - a shocking hobby just in autechre style

its really pop music if you get the way they build up the beats

You also have to look at them shaking their head to their own liveact to really get into the autechre groove

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think i've just let go of my attachment to Autechre always having to sound complicated. after the bar was set so high in complexity with Confield's insanely complex fragmented drum patterns and Draft's masterful bass drum fart melodies that the stuff afterwards (at least at first) left me wanting something deeper and more mysterious, a feeling i felt from draft and confield but didn't immediately get from untilted or quaristice. I also don't really see Quaristice as an Autechre returning to their back catalog type of project, i see it as possibly one of the most extreme changes in direction the have done. it took me a while to appreciate what they were setting out to do in Quaristice.

Hooray!

I adore Quaristice. Mmmm, luv luv luv.

i feel like with quaristice, ae are clearly changing the way they make music, both conceptually and physically (gear). there are a lot of great moment on quaristice, but i find that a lot of the ideas, that may have sounded really cool or interesting in the studio are somewhat lost. the songs don't have the same production value as earlier releases, and i feel that the mixing makes a lot of parts far too muddy, and there are some nasty frequencies that i would assume would be EQ'd out (or down).

overall, it's one of their most interesting releases, and clearly their most raw. this album isn't good for the same reasons other ae albums are good in that they are complex, technical, perfectly EQ'd or thoughtfully arranged, but because we're seeing how sean and rob jam out together.

the whole album just reeks of informal, whereas every one of their other releases (ae lps+eps) strikes me as meticulous, convoluted and precise.

tkakanren is great, steels is a nice ambient percussionish intro for that song. outh9x is one of my fav ambient tracks ever, along with nofour. fol4 is also really awesome, it sticks to the beat moreso than fol3.

more later, but my basic conclusion is that ae are trying to do something totally different. untilted couldn't be any more precise, so they are trying a new direction. the next release will be the one that may define their short term future, for better or worse.

Guest Enter a new display name

As I re-listen to "fol3", this track coincidentally reminds me of "Mutism" by Basic Channel (which is from '93-'95). Sean mentioned Basic Channel as excellent producers in BarcodeZine's interview from last year. This band might be one of Rob and Sean's influences, I don't know... Anyway I hear too many similarities.

[youtubehd]eixg32kZD1k[/youtubehd]

its really pop music if you get the way they build up the beats

I have this theory that by 2008, most of Ae's production had become so unbelievably complex and inhuman that they just decided to release "Pop Music" to protect the sanity of the human population.

You once described 2001 album Confield – a record that enraptured Thom Yorke, no less – as “pop music” compared to material you could have released. On the Autechre scale, how do you see Quaristice?

Both: Pop music!

Sean: Even more so.

there are some tracks that i just can't stand.. like bnc castl :rolleyes:

bnc castle. 100% with you on that one. so pissy sounding :(

I fucking love bnc Castl! It's perfect pandemonium killer robot stabbing chaos.

Just wanted to say that 'The PlclcPc' is way better than 'The Plc'

Also on the topic of improper mixing, really there are only a few occasions I notice this. The plc has a stupidly overdriven bass drum that sounds muddy and awful unless you have a flawless sound system. Usually in my car I need to crank the bass down by 2/3. On my headphones it sounds fine, but I think it's just that the dynamic range here is wider (and more specifically deeper) than most sound systems can handle. Also FwZe is really the only time I've been irritated by a mixing job that Ae has done, and it's really because the wooshes and swishes are just waay too loud in the mix and it either means constantly readjusting your volume during the track, or either letting your ear drums take a severe beating or just listening to the track at a low volume.

and also while we are on the topic of eardrums taking a severe beating, I have my suspicions that Ae are masterminding a plan to make us all deaf by systematically inserting noises scientifically designed to incur hearing loss. Examples:

Ipacial Section has a very high pitched whining tone consistently throughout that is almost impossible to hear but once you notice it, its almost impossible not to hear.

SonDEremawe has that really loud sine wave

Fwze has the loud wooshing as I already discussed

There are many more but I would need to do some serious research to make a complete list.

eh they can be. my ears are apparently more sensitive to highfrequency percussion like that on ipacial section, uviol, netlon sentinel. but i can tolerate most everything except uviol.

there's not much of that on quaristice, just really muddy parts at times.

so far no one in here has mentioned that Quaristice is the first album that Sean and Rob say they collaborated in real-time together and even jamming together on. Most of their previous work was a distant form of tape and sound file sharing, they even state that songs on previous albums might be solo tracks by either member.

I hope thats the drink talkin.

Just sober up and return to reality.

songs on previous albums might be solo tracks by either member.

i'd love to know which ones were solo tracks, just to understand what kind of sound each member is known for. though i have a feeling that their individual sounds are pretty close these days, something i like to refer to as 'genesis syndrome' - where you start writing like the other members in the band after long enough, and vice versa.

i think you might need to get some new speakers, the sounds on all the songs you listed are not that abrasive

yeah I definitely do need new speakers. The PLC sounds fine on my headphones though, crisp and clear and great bass, the mix sounds fine but in a car the bass in that track tends to make the whole body rattle and shit and it buzzes like crazy so I have to turn it way down. Maybe my bass speakers are blown though...

I will defend my claim against FwzE though because I know it's not my speakers, I've heard it on 4 different audio sources and it sounds the same. The whishy high-end noises are way too loud in the mix compared to the bass IMO and I tend to crank it up so I can hear the bass and everything else a little better but the FwzE noises fuck my ears right up. That aside I don't think I have any complaints about the mixing of the album, mainly I meant to indicate to others that If you feel the same way about Quari being shittily mixed you might just not have a good sound system, like I said the PLC will sound especially terrible if you don't have a decent sub

oh and modey: I'm pretty sure it was discovered on the boards here some time ago that Pule was just one of them, can't remember who though but for some reason I'm thinking Sean. I agree though it would be awesome to know which is which. To expand on that I think it would be brilliant if Sean and Rob put Ae on hiatus for a year so they could each release a solo album. It would be awesome to hear the separate styles and then later to go back and feel out which person did which track. Obviously they would have to resume Ae afterwards though, if they permanently broke up it would be a tragedy

Just wanted to say that 'The PlclcPc' is way better than 'The Plc'

agreed. was listening to versions today, it has some really great moments. the plc just annoys me, the changes are too jarring imo.

Quaristice was the first album I ever owned and heard in entirety by Autechre. I basically started on an odd release to get into them. I didn't like it at first, but I was persistent.

Altibzz has its own thread for a reason. It's mostly just a cool little ambient piece that somewhat sets the stage for the album. It's pretty and stuff and easily likable. Though when I first got into Autechre, I initially only liked the mechanical clicking songs, so I was reluctant towards ambient pieces. This song helped me come around to it.

The Plc is interesting. Originally it annoyed me, but now it entertains me. I never select it on whim and generally only listen to it when going through Quaristice. The last half is really cool to me. I love the part that sounds like the a little voice with the click associated with it and how they garble it, it's as though it's having a dispute with the rest of the song and butting in.

IO is easily one of my favorite songs off the album. It's almost evil sounding for every right reason. The whole synth (I think synth, organ synth, I don't know) line is neat too. Then the song takes the typical Quaristice twist and takes it out. Followed by the odd echo'd bass hits, which I really like too. The whole song entertains me a lot and has a great transition into...

plyPhon. The whole reason I got this album (that video is awesome). I don't know how to describe, but the way the song moves around in its soundscape is just awesome. I wish I could say more about my favorite song off of the album, but I really can't.

Perlence is neat. Takes too long to start in my opinion though.

SonDEremawe seems silly, but nonetheless, I like it. *shrug*

Simmm bores me. I guess I don't get it, but it just bores the crap.

paralel suns is pretty. If I ever needed something to sleep to, I'd put it on, but I don't have speakers. It's probably my favorite entirely tranquil Ae song.

Steels is really good. I saw a lot of hate for it awhile back, but I quite like it.

Tankakern has a good intro. I really like the intro, the last half I don't like.

rale, I used it for a game I made once. It weirded people out, but it was awesome. The song is delightfully dark and consistent.

Fol3 is great. I love all the whooshing sounds going on and around. All the little whooshes followed by a light "clap clap." Haha, it's fantastic.

fwzE, the whooshing in this isn't that bad, stop complaining. >_> I actually got one of my friends to listen to it, and he hates my music, but he liked it. It's a playful song, as is bnc Castl, and it's good for that.

90101-5|-| is very cool. I associate it with chenc9 a lot, and I don't know what else. I quite like the other versions of it too.

bnc Castl sounds oddly dated, but then like someone remastered it. Not to say it's bad at all.

Theswere feels like an interlude for what would play when I walk into my house after school.

WNSN, I used it for that game I made as well. People flipped out.

chenc9 I love the bass noise in the beginning. The last minute drags on too long.

Notwo is like a slower Altibzz.

Outh9X give me the creeps.

so far no one in here has mentioned that Quaristice is the first album that Sean and Rob say they collaborated in real-time together and even jamming together on. Most of their previous work was a distant form of tape and sound file sharing, they even state that songs on previous albums might be solo tracks by either member.

Yeah its sounds much like it and I like that very much

Archived