IGNORED

Quaristice/ Versions/ Quadrange EP

thehauntingsoul

I feel that Altichyre (first track on Versions) is the most emotional ambient piece they've released since 'VLetrmx'. It's a great chord progression and definitely one of the best melodies they've composed; I just wish it were longer.

I agree with this sentiment completely.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Greg Reason

As far as ae ambient shit goes I'm pretty much obsessed with nuNr6d. Special mention for the Nos (Notwo, Notwotwo, Nofour) and outh9x also

As far as ae ambient shit goes I'm pretty much obsessed with nuNr6d. Special mention for the Nos (Notwo, Notwotwo, Nofour) and outh9x also

nofour is great. the ending with the slowly fading pads and then these saw-y machine-like chords, pure bliss.

i love love love the second half of notwotwo off of quadrange...the ambient stuff on the quars is so awesome. Also, the little alien crys/moans around 2:50 of the plc ccc off of quadrange are so creepy/amazing lol.

My own little quaristice mix i've been listening to lately is:

rale - quaristice

outh9x - quaristice

tankraken - versions

the plc ccc - quadrange

perlence subrange 3 - quadrange

wnsn - quaristice

9010171-121 - quadrange

notwotwo - quadrange

plyphon - quaristice

perlence range3 - versions

theswere - quaristice

9013-2 - quadrange

Guest Garkken

Also, the little alien crys/moans around 2:50 of the plc ccc off of quadrange are so creepy/amazing lol.

I believe that The Plc CCC - this is the best track from Quadrange EP.

I´m very fond of quadrange, I like the comprohensive feel of most of the tracks. Long, and thorough with lots of variation and "faults" now and then later edited out for the main release. It has the feel of a soundboard recording of the quar-sessions and heaps of ambience/space to it as well. The secluded yet deeply engaging opposite of quaristice. So opposite anything Æ put to record before this one itself. Great for atmospheric moments or plain old raving. Thats a rare combination!

Cover art is weak though.. designed in the DR my arse.

i've probably listened to these albums more than any of their others. for some reason these all have a real high replay value for me.

maybe it's because i know pretty much how it was made (moreso than their other albums) and what gear they used (some of which i own). also the fact that it's pretty much a jam album with minimal/no overdubs - it really presents a rare view of their working methods. i can see into their editing & decision making process by comparing the shorter and longer versions of the tracks on the various albums to see what they edited out of the shorter versions, and also by comparing to some of the 'proto' versions from the Untilted live sets.

people have been saying this is an 'aquatic' sounding album. Sean said something in an interview about this album, saying that when they were jamming the songs were coming out really nice and 'queasy' (he meant this in a positive way :lol: ). to me, that term really captured the whole 'quaristice' vibe for me. these are all 'queasy' sounding albums. very digital & sterile sounding in a way, and yet so complex & squiggily sounding in terms of the movement & transformation of the sounds used.

my Quaristice:

(i perserved their track order, but when there was a superior version of a track available elsewhere i just swapped it out)

Altibzz

The PlcLCpC (versions)

I O (Mons) (versions)

plyPhon

Perlence Range3 (versions)

Simmm

paralel Suns

Steels

Tkakanren (quadrange)

rale

Fol3

fwzE

90101-5l-l

Theswere

WNSN

chenc9-x (versions)

notwotwo (quadrange)

Outh9x

it's been said for a while but i think now that oversteps is out people are going to start saying quaristice is amazing.

it´s always been like that. after 20 rounds of oversteps i´m digging myself into the whole quaristice/ versions/ quadrange thing again and i really enjoy it. it is better than before oversteps. weird.

Yep, a standard rule/mechanic in the Ae universe.

I wonder what that reflects though.

Quaristice was an instant hit with me though - I find it very available even to the casual listen. It was untilted / Conf that required AGES of dedicated listening to reveal themselves.

i'm a bit behind tbh, i'm only just really getting into untilted now that i've heard oversteps.. and only really got into draft when quaristice came out.

though i did have a listen to quaristice lastnight and enjoyed it more than i did after the initial excitement!

once the newer albums come out you get something to compare it to. its like two paintings next to eachother, you are automatically referencing the two rather than just looking at one and together they can build/breakdown eachother. Perhaps also it becomes easier to see what focus or whatever was driving the albums/songs because of a development in the next that is on the same path.

Perhaps also it becomes easier to see what focus or whatever was driving the albums/songs because of a development in the next that is on the same path.

yeah, exactly.

on my lunch break earlier today i had to go to the supermarket, i smoked a cigarette outside, felt weirdly dizzy and listened to 9010171-121 from quadrange. all of a sudden that track touched my heart, funny feeling because it´s not a particularly emotional song.

I listened to the original Quaristice yesterday and noticed a whole crapload of depth and detail that I hadn't before, although it could just be a co-incidence. Either way, I'm really loving Quaristice again, more so than when it was first released even, and I was really into it from day 1.

one of those 901s (i can never remember what's what) has a badass acid line at the end. i'm noticing that a lot of those tracks are very very similar except the end.

it's been said for a while but i think now that oversteps is out people are going to start saying quaristice is amazing.

This has probably been the case for every AE release since LP5!

Yeah, ignore him. He never actually contributes anything new or even remotely worthwhile.

• 4 months later...

I am reeeaaaalllly digging Quadrange and Versions right now. Stuff like range3, The Plc ccc, and the ambient tracks notwotwo, Perlence Suns are just brilliant.

Also I've taken it upon myself to modify my track titles. Basically my convention is adding modifiers to the end of some of those 90101's, perlence's, and plc's that get confusing to distinguish. For example

9013-2 . ambient

because its an ambient track

Perlence range 7 . funk

because its funky as hell

90101-61-01 . suppressed

because the melody on this one in those submerged frequencies

Edit:

WHY couldn't they have included an Altibzz extended mix

the quaristice releases still haven't sunk in with me since it's release. all other previous releases have within a few listens. but i think i contribute that to downloading the releases via bleep and not having something to look at and read while listening to the new release i have in my hands. yeah... i'm old school like that. i have oversteps and waiting for move of ten to come in the mail. oversteps already sunk in.

with that being said. my fave track from the quaristice era are:

Quaristice:

simmm

OI

rale

fwze

theswere

WNSN

i dislike the chenc tracks and quite honestly are the only ae tracks on any release that i skip.

Versions:

IO (mons) i actually like better than Quaristice version because of it's length

perlence range3 has lots of what is left out of the original hence i like this version way more than the original. This track reminds me of the weird little brother of outkast's "rosa park" track.

chenc9-x i basically like from 4:45 and on. don't like the first half, but the second half makes up for it. probably because it sounds like another version of perlence.

quadrange:

the plc ccc

perlence range 7 especially at 5:41 when it turns into a hip hop groove with bass on those hits

perlence subrange 3 my fav of the perlence tracks

perlence losid 2

• 4 months later...

Archived