IGNORED

VMware image of chrome OS

kaini

Woop! Cheers Kaini. Reckon I'll give this a look over the weekend. No doubt some client is going to ask dumbshit questions about this at some point so I better be prepared...

it's probably the purest implementation of a thin client i've ever heard of. everything's "in the cloud" :facepalm:

very interested in giving this a whirl. you need to create an account but it can automatically link with your facebook. nifty

also it's about to get slashdotted into oblivion so grab it before the server melts, i reckon.

Haha, cloud computing's the future! They're emphasizing simplicity apparently. I hope that doesn't mean you can't actually DO anything because all the slightly complex tasks are hidden. Kinda like how you can barely customize Chrome browser because the options menu is naff.

Nabbed it. Probably give it a go today if I can pry myself away from Far Cry 2 for a bit.

there's some fucking sweet customizations if you go with the developer channel of chrome

nabbed also, but i just installed planescape:torment and diablo and i feel an rpg binge coming on

I don't get it. Yet another Linux distro but because it's by Google and has links on your desktop to google's online services it's worth an orgasm?

LOL watching that demo...so they've moved the concept of the dock to the top of the screen?

Persistent windows - always on top...

Cloud computing is for the birds. What about when your net access goes out? What happens when the server that has your shit stored on it goes out?

Don't get me wrong, competition is always good, so hopefully ChromeOS becomes a viable competitor and pushes Apple and MS.

Cloud computing is for the birds. What about when your net access goes out? What happens when the server that has your shit stored on it goes out?

It's an interesting point, but the net just doesn't go out that much anymore. It's about as rare as a power outage, and will probably get rarer. And Google's storage is pretty much guaranteed to be more reliable than your typical user's home data storage solution.

I get a huge netbook OS vibe from this, but I don't know if I'd want a serious computing OS to be that reductive.

I don't get it. Yet another Linux distro but because it's by Google and has links on your desktop to google's online services it's worth an orgasm?

plus this

It's an interesting point, but the net just doesn't go out that much anymore. It's about as rare as a power outage, and will probably get rarer. And Google's storage is pretty much guaranteed to be more reliable than your typical user's home data storage solution.

What about when that whole middle eastern country got its internets lost cause a ship's anchor "accidentally" cut the cable?

and

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/10/10/t-mobile-microsoft-lost-all-the-sidekick-backups/

What about when that whole middle eastern country got its internets lost cause a ship's anchor "accidentally" cut the cable?

I'm talking about my own personal experience. YMMV.

You can't compare Google's datacenter capabilities to T-mobile/Microsoft. The Sidekick service was an acquisition they let rust, and when it finally crashed, there was no one around who knew how to fix it.

I know that the internet uptime is very stable, and I'm sure that any prudent IT person will have offline backups anyways.

Google replaces servers all the time though...and they do have issues:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/news/thread?tid=6258d92973764aa1&hl=en#all

Cloud computing is very cool for sure, especially when they can put the equivalent of Adobe CS4 online...I'm surprised google hasn't tried for that market yet...lol

Just saying, there can be issues...I'm sure google has some pretty smart people working on the problems though...lol

There's actually already a lot of good competition for a "photoshop online":

http://aviary.com/tools/phoenix

http://www.pixlr.com/editor/

http://www.splashup.com/

I think we'll pretty much see all user application development move to this online model in the next 5 years. It's a great workaround for piracy, too.

The only exception might be for really data-heavy stuff, like HD video and audio editing. But, maybe you just keep the data local, and pull the app from the cloud.

Very cool chaosmachine.

i would imagine that as the tubes are able to handle bigger and bigger dumptrucks though, and processors get more efficient, even HD video could be done in the cloud.

even though chrome OS isn't making me that hard, the prospect of it being something more than Linux became, more popular and more useful/practical i would be very happy.

i hope it doesnt die out like BeOS or Nextstep/Openstep (well that didn't entirely go away, it just turned into OSX)

i have many net outages with VirginMedia. and Orange Broadband are pretty shit too, also Tiscali.

with regard to Google's server reliability, need i point out the multiple major Gmail outages that have happened in the past 6 months?

either way, i'm going to try Google Chrome OS on my EeePC when it's released - as long as it has skype on there. if not, then it will be pretty pointless to me. i need Skype.

even though chrome OS isn't making me that hard, the prospect of it being something more than Linux became, more popular and more useful/practical i would be very happy.

i hope it doesnt die out like BeOS or Nextstep/Openstep (well that didn't entirely go away, it just turned into OSX)

i lost my BeOS Professional 4.5 install CD a few years ago. i am still ruing that day :(

exactly, awepittance.

the fact it is google means people will sit up and take notice.

any netbooks that come with a preinstalled linux build generally have a really crappy one - this will, in time, probably conquer the entire netbook market, i feel.

as much as i really fucking like windows 7, anything that eats into ballmersoft's market share has got to be a good thing. shame i still haven't managed to get it to fucking boot :facepalm:

BeOS was the shit. What a great OS it was for music production.

Kaini - the fact that it's Google might make people sit up and notice...depends on what they do with it.

Google have had lots of products wither away...

Of course user data would not be saved locally since all Google services trade user privacy for free services.

seen the EULAs?

all i'm sayin is i hope yo liek donkeys

Archived