IGNORED

the hafler trio

Guest Z_B_Z

he is a weird guy, i've heard several 'horror' stories from pretty well known artists in the experimental scene about him though, apparently he is ridiculously hard to work with

yeah, i can certainly see this. he was always responsive when i asked questions about his work, but his answers were difficult and hard to understand.. any attempt to draw more than a cryptic answer out of him was met with derision

what are the horror stories? autechre seemed to be able to handle him enough to do two releases with him..

mostly just stories involving very diva like behavior and burning bridges within the experimental community. i don't want to mention any names because even world wide the scene is still very small. One particular story i remember was described to me by a friend of a drone label owner who put out a very costly H30 special edition, apparently he got into debt because of the expense of this h30 project, he was so dedicated to it seeing the light of day that he refinanced his home to get extra immediate funds. When it finally came out (after some understabdle delays) Mckenzie started posting messages to several online mailing lists telling people not to buy this release because it didn't come out exactly how he wanted. It was a big enough deal that i think it soured a lot of people in the scene on working with him. I trust the sources implicitly that i heard this from.

This was EXACTLY the reason why I totally ignored the last records that came after THAT edition. The price tag of the edition is absolutely adequate (U*** who was half-financing it told me detailed about the printing process of the cover- well I wish a label would offer me this too…) but the behaviour is absolutely unbelievable.

He played in Hamburg some years ago and was playing at the Hörbar and asked several members of this club to give him some special things he absolutely NEEDED for his concert there. A friend of mine made a really crazed-out wizard coat for A.M. (he had wished to get one) ending up that he even don't looked after it when he got it. It was done with some much effort and work and then the guy ignored it like it was a bucket of dirt.

maybe the real experiment/art behind hafler trio now is to just pump out the same or pretty identical sounding drone release each time for a huge price tag while being a dick just to see how long people will continue to worship him. The final stage of this experiment will be Andrew Mckenzie releasing a 25 cd box set where each CD has almost 74 minutes of silence except for a brief 1 second wisp of sound. The press release will just say 'i hate the jews'.

Edited by Awepittance

the early discography .,.,, nevermind i was too distracted on the discogs page to find good recommendations because of this

h3o Jun 01, 2010

the youtube video included here uses copyright material which is unauthorised and illegal. I have asked the creator of this to remove it, and they have refused. I ask you here to remove it, as, as I say, it is illegal. I was never asked for permission to use this material, and have never granted permission, ever, for it to be used in any way in this manner.

./andrew m. mckenzie

the hafler trio

maybe the real experiment/art behind hafler trio now is to just pump out the same or pretty identical sounding drone release each time for a huge price tag while being a dick just to see how long people will continue to worship him. The final stage of this experiment will be Andrew Mckenzie releasing a 25 cd box set where each CD has almost 74 minutes of silence except for a brief 1 second wisp of sound. The press release will just say 'i hate the jews'.

I sadly bought some of his music blind and was really disappointed to discover that he only pressed one tone on a CD and putted it inside a several paper prints holding plastic case with some artsyfartsy explanations on. Don't get me wrong, his design is top notch but I think he could put more effort in his works.

The low point was the last remix he did for Fovea Hex. After delays and delays of the EP dued to Andrews health constitution he farted out a CD with a 60 min. violin key drone and some of fovea hex voice clicking to the 9nth degree on top. Die Stadt was asking for patience cause he was "making something very excellent worth the wait".

Sorry, I guess Andrew Liles/Thomas Köner/ or somebody else from the Die Stadt rooster would have done it far better.

The last collab with Autechre is also weak. Only Autechre did a good job as their side is the only I stand through the whole time. I don't understand why a musician with such a genius in tweaking sounds (and I think Andrew understand his craftmanship) is releasing music which is hardly one second of sound stretched out into an 1-hour opera.

• 2 months later...

I found this interesting:

http://totem.mennesk.../%5BBIN_005%5D/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Andrew McKenzie - DIEM Lecture

01: DIEM Lecture - Part 1 [57:39]

02: DIEM Lecture - Part 2 [69:10]

Lecture given at DIEM, Aarhus - Denmark 14-09-2006 by Andrew McKenzie / Hafler Trio.

BIN - 2007 [bIN DATA 005]

Doesn't exist anymore... Can someone help me in finding this, please?

BTW...that interview posted at the page 2 is fantastic!

Edited by xox

• 3 months later...
Guest Z_B_Z

thought I'd give this thread a bump and encourage everyone to listen to the Simply Superior teleconference podcasts on iTunes. they have been tremendously helpful for me in understanding the hafler output as well as andrew mckenzies point(s) of view in general. I've learned a great deal and found them to be very inspirational. much light is shed on the autechre collabs...in hindsight, most of what I've read about those releases on this board have been WAY off the mark...

I would appreciate input.

I listened to A Thirsty Fish a couple nights ago and found it to be absolute genius. It was also probably the most disturbing piece of music that I've ever heard. It sounds like what Stockhausen was meant to sound like, given a full understanding of modern technology.

It really is genius, a must hear. Be careful though, it might induce schizophrenia.

I purchased Ƴo & h³æ and I didnt really enjopy it.

This was back in the glory days of Soulseek. I was curious as to why AE would want to collab with hafler trio. I spent a long time downloading as much of their discography as I could. I had at least 20 releases downloaded with artwork I got off the net. I remember really liking a few of them... but they're long gone. Now I can't find anything of their's to DL.

they I've learned a great deal and found them to be very inspirational. much light is shed on the autechre collabs...in hindsight, most of what I've read about those releases on this board have been WAY off the mark...

very interesting take, i would characterize it as 'on the bullseye' Sean booth admits (in said podcast) what many people in the autechre forum theorized that Sean booth/rob deferred heavily to Andrew on the release, meaning it is for the most part an H30 release and not Autechre. which aspect of the board discussions was 'way off the mark' in regards to the ae/h3o collaborations? Sean Booth also strangely admits to never listening to the finished product and not having a surround sound setup, and that most people who have 5.1 setups are 'chavs'.

Seems to have a very non committal attitude about the whole thing, but maybe there is some sort of philosophy buried underneath that exterior i missed?

edit: best part about the simply superior podcast is that clearly Sean and Andrew have read watmm, at least the autechre subforum

Edited by Awepittance

I listened to A Thirsty Fish a couple nights ago and found it to be absolute genius. It was also probably the most disturbing piece of music that I've ever heard. It sounds like what Stockhausen was meant to sound like, given a full understanding of modern technology.

It really is genius, a must hear. Be careful though, it might induce schizophrenia.

i think the best H30 releases, including Thirsty Fish (which is my personal favorite) involve Chris Watson, the guy who went off to do a lot of field recording stuff later in his career. The sound collage aspect seemed to diminish over time. I could be totally wrong though, maybe Watson was not involved in Thirsty Fish

I wonder if Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill musician) was influenced by this (and my personal favourite) era of Hafler Trio at all? A Thirsty Fish could practically be the soundtrack to one of the games in his series.

Guest Z_B_Z

they I've learned a great deal and found them to be very inspirational. much light is shed on the autechre collabs...in hindsight, most of what I've read about those releases on this board have been WAY off the mark...

very interesting take, i would characterize it as 'on the bullseye' Sean booth admits (in said podcast) what many people in the autechre forum theorized that Sean booth/rob deferred heavily to Andrew on the release, meaning it is for the most part an H30 release and not Autechre. which aspect of the board discussions was 'way off the mark' in regards to the ae/h3o collaborations? Sean Booth also strangely admits to never listening to the finished product and not having a surround sound setup, and that most people who have 5.1 setups are 'chavs'.

Seems to have a very non committal attitude about the whole thing, but maybe there is some sort of philosophy buried underneath that exterior i missed?

edit: best part about the simply superior podcast is that clearly Sean and Andrew have read watmm, at least the autechre subforum

he actually gets more in depth on the releases in another 'episode' that doest feature booth..read the podcast descriptions in itunes to find the right one. it seems to be a project that is very much about circumventing expectations..

i think the best H30 releases, including Thirsty Fish (which is my personal favorite) involve Chris Watson, the guy who went off to do a lot of field recording stuff later in his career. The sound collage aspect seemed to diminish over time. I could be totally wrong though, maybe Watson was not involved in Thirsty Fish

i believe chris watson left after the first release..

i really don't mean to be nit picking, but how exactly is a series of releases that sound pretty much indistinguishable from a normal Hafler Trio release 'defying expectations'? is it because people would expect it to sound just a little bit like AE? After the first one i expected exactly what we got with the following 2. And don't get me wrong, i think the Autechre boys are one of the best acts right now at doing exactly that, defying fan expectations.. but these collaboration releases are probably the most predictable output they've done in over a decade. I'll check out the podcast too if that helps clear anything up.

So Chris Watson only worked on Bang an Open Letter? Since you know a lot more about H3o than the rest of us , at which point did the project start to go from a musique concrete' esque collage sound into very minimalist / drone territory? Or was it not a specific turning point

Edited by Awepittance

Guest Z_B_Z

So Chris Watson only worked on Bang an Open Letter? Since you know a lot more about H3o than the rest of us , at which point did the project start to go from a musique concrete' esque collage sound into very minimalist / drone territory? Or was it not a specific turning point

i wouldnt say im an expert on the hafler trio or anything, i just remember reading that at some point..i think i posted it earlier in the thread as well..the old brainwashed site had a ton of interviews and thats where i learned a pretty good amount about the project..cant really answer the second part, but i plan on purchasing some early/mid hafler realeases on ebay..i foolishly sold what i had a few years ago..probably for weed money..ask me again in a few months and i might have a better answer..

RE defying expectations, i dont remember everything that was said (and im paraphrasing here) but i do remember mckenzie saying that in general the parts that people think autechre are respnsible for, he is responsible for and vice versa. that autechre took a very analog approach to things and he digital. that the parts that sound digital have a very non digital source ie a plucked string attached to two cans..

Edited by Z_B_Z

• 1 year later...

do you still have this? anyone?

I found this interesting:

http://totem.menneske.dk/batch_totem/BIN/%5BBIN_005%5D/

Andrew McKenzie - DIEM Lecture

01: DIEM Lecture - Part 1 [57:39]
02: DIEM Lecture - Part 2 [69:10]

Lecture given at DIEM, Aarhus - Denmark 14-09-2006 by Andrew McKenzie / Hafler Trio.

BIN - 2007 [bIN DATA 005]

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

search bump

personality portraits aside, hell of a catalog

its possible to listen to "If You Want To Know The Time, Ask A Policeman" & many many others on repeat for extended hours & experience some kind of temporal event/shift, an utterly immersive experience

ideally find it suits remote mountain struts where there isnt another human being for miles, its adds an atmosphere to the natural world that is 50%fear/50euphoria at wavering peaks (no shrubbery), not studio sound quality replication but enough £-invested

in the right mood, AM can take you to some truly sublime places that defy this gimpy attempt at description

• 3 years later...
15 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

bumping this thread, appart from the Ae collabs what releases would you recommend for a total hafler trio noob ?

Seven Hours Sleep

The Sea Org

A Thirsty Fish

Kill the King

Mastery of Money

An Utterance of the Supreme Ventriloquist

Whistling about Chickens

A Small Child Dreams of Voiding the Plague

^there's ur primer :^)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1