IGNORED

Venetian Snares' best album?

thehauntingsoul

Guest Aserinsky

I'm coming towards the opinion that printf("shiver in eternal darkness/n"); is probably his most unique album. His older stuff anyway seems to appeal to me a lot more than beforehand: I guess there's a sense of unhinged creativity and spontaneousness about them which doesn't really reflect in his later Planet Mu / Timesiq releases, I'd certainly love him to turn towards a more 4/4 related, darker and more minial approach. In some ways, it's almost as if his music sounds better when it sounds like it's been produced on a 1992 Commodore Amiga.

Edited by Aserinsky

Venetian Snares is mostly all I listen to now (only fortnightly to cleanse myself), I'm scared he's slowed down his releasing, and while Fool the Detector ep is some of the best music ever composed and I must mention this fact regularly if only to convince 1 person to actually listen to the thing - very loud in the dark - it wasn't even released on cd. It did come out only last year, but his last album was 2010, and it was a compilation of tracks he made in days, and just a tester for his new sub label. It's 4 years since Filth.

I'm going to listen to winter in the belly of a snake tomorrow. He could totally eclipse that album now tonally, without having to resort to the familiar stabbing sounds. I really trust that he's more musical and an artist than he is a nerd and a sellout. If he was a nerd he'd make music like Richard Devine and if he was a sellout music like Squarepusher.

Seems to me that making breakcore in a tracker is about the nerdiest thing you could do besides turning down sex to do math homework. Richard Devine is probably the biggest of the IDM scene with all his product placement and factory preset whoring. I don't like Squarepusher but I don't see in which universe he could be seen as a sellout, he's a great example of someone doing exactly what they want even if its unpopular with core fans.

I mean at present. Squarepusher sold out to some degree with Shobaleader One: d'Demonstrator and Ufabulum. The whole daft punk copying tron helmet visual identity of Ufabulm that's present in the artwork, videos and live on stage, I thought the album was ostentatious and bloated.

By nerdy I mean that Richard Devine is far more motivated and fascinated by the technical aspect of sound design, he buys and shows off equipment on twitter, does sound design for companies. His music is like a journey into an alien world, he said himself 'i want to take the listener to another place'. It's not emotional melodic music. It's not something I can listen to for too long or be really engaged by.

Whereas Venetian Snares still just uses Renoise i think (as far as I know, he certainly used it primarily for years) because he has said he got to a point where he could create the music he heard in his head. I just see him more of an artist, his music never sounds technical to me, it never sounds like he's 'trying' to make electronic music, he's more effortless at it. I think his motivation to make music isn't fuelled by the desire to experiment with lots of new gear, but finding new ways to use what he already has, it's not the sounds he uses but the way he constructs them and the ease at which he does it. The compulsion to make music and express his emotions comes first. To me he's like Aphex Twin and could make engaging music using any tools. To me Richard Devine belongs to the Phoenecia/Xanopticon/Autechre group, whereas Venetian Snares belongs to the U-Ziq/Aphx Twin group.

I've never really listened to printf, it's rare to find cheap and I don't have decent download of it.

pure shredding idiot genius.

i celebrate his entire catalogue.

i like some bits more than others but i truly love the way his musical mind works and the non compromising career he has programmed for himself.

pure shredding idiot genius.

i celebrate his entire catalogue.

i like some bits more than others but i truly love the way his musical mind works and the non compromising career he has programmed for himself.

Yeah he's a dude that just loves to make music.

I dig almost all of his stuff.

Yes! Detrimentalist is awesome. Hospitality had huge tracks like Duffy and Hospitality..

I'm surprised theres not much love for Rossz or My Downfall. Some incredible production value on those. My downfall could have lost most of the wanky bonus violin parts but the rest was incredible =/.

In fact, the "wanky violin" is probably why he called it "My Downfall".

Edited by StephenG

Definitely prefer the older, rougher stuff.

My fave LP is still:

Venetian.songsaboutmycats.jpg

I fondly remember listening to it on headphones while tripping my face off, sat next to a fish pond, while staring at the cover and watching the cat's face melt and turn into a skull and then back to a cat. In time to the music.

Huge chrome box was the last album I listened to properly though I did get Detrimentalist and PomPoms and enjoyed them.

Went off him when he appeared to lose his sense of humour and made the those albums that sounded like earnest gothy post-rock with break-core beats.

my 3 free albums by the Snares man are

Doll Doll Doll

Huge chrome Cylinder..

Rossz

I also have a soft spot for meat Hole though seem to remeber it getting slated quite a bit when it came out but I think its lovely and dark and the drums sound beasty as fuck. For his more comedy fun albums my favourite is Higgins ultra low glue funk hits

He does seem to have slowed down a bit with the releases of late, but have a feeling his next album could be a good un!

It's a shame some of the best (earlier) albums he released on Planet Mu are only available on vinyl in a cheap cardboard sleeve with a sticker instead of proper cover art

Agreed.

I went out of my way to track down SAMC on vinyl because I wanted the big artwork and was disappointed to discover the above.

Damn, really hard to say... Despite all being stylistically breakcore there's some very different moods and aesthetics throughout the entire catalog.

I've always been partial to Rossz, cause that's the album that got me into Vsnares, and it's fucking brilliant. However if I had to round out a top 3 I'd probably include Chocolate Wheelchair and Huge Chrome Cylinder... But shit, the more I think about it idk, I may have to dive into another Vsnares binge soon. It's been a while

1. Rossz Csillag Alatt Született

(Everything about this Album is amazing. The Theme. The Artwork. That Aaron learned how to play a plastic violine for Hajnal.)

2. Winter In The Belly Of A Snake

3. Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding

4. Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms

I really enjoy Filth, its fairly brutal and I like the acid tones throughout.

"My so called Life" does have some great moments.

I have enjoyed his EP output over the past few years, Horsey Noises, Cubist Reggae, Fool the Detector and Affectionate have all been really strong releases and despite being "slower", full of interesting compositions and fresh ideas.

New stuff please

1. Rossz Csillag Alatt Született

(Everything about this Album is amazing. The Theme. The Artwork. That Aaron learned how to play a plastic violine for Hajnal.)

2. Winter In The Belly Of A Snake

3. Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding

4. Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms

I'd go with this, but not in that order. He has incredible tracks scattered over all his releases, he must release some of the best eps of anyone. But those four are probably the most cohesive wholes. I think Cavalcade is the best sequenced. I think My Half is his best track. It's somehow more direct and ear splittingly honest than anything else he's done i think. There's a point in the track where it's just like he intends to rip breakcore up to a degree he's never done before. He's able to express just pure moments of heart breaking anger in the form of breakcore. I can't imagine him even making a track like that. I think the way he uses trackers means there's no slow technical process from feeling something to expressing it through music. It just..happens. It..happens for the first time every time you hear the track.

I never seem to get bored of his music, i think because it isn't its aesthetic that I enjoy and get hooked on and then soon move on to something else that's immediately appealing but which is ultimately hollow. I can never quite get over how he just tears through sound, so loud and visceral it's like my speaker is going to break. The thrill of its breakneck speed doesn't diminish over time, and if it did it'd mean I'd be hungering for something more extreme and so far that hasn't happened. There's nothing beyond Hospitality. I listen to one of his tracks, or that one, and then I'm satisfied for another month. The best kind of addiction. I don't listen to anything as background music at a low volume. It's very loud in total darkness and it's euphoric or nothing. I think I'm going to stop preaching about venetian snares as I do to other music listening people, it's something you've obviously got to want for yourself. If you're ever left dissatisfied by the tameness of the music you listen to, he's always there, you can't just listen to it as you would anyone else, you've got to really desire it. And I'll send you my extra copy of Meathole that I own for some reason.

Edited by Suffocate Peon

^

I like how you put that. I feel the same way pretty much. People don't seem to appreciate Vsnares as one of "the greats" though.

I have to agree with Tok though that Rossz is my top album of his. My Downfall is pretty good though, I'd say it's Rossz - refined. But the theme of Rossz puts it above My Downfall for me.

And My Half is my fav track of his too. Fuck it tears things up!

Guest Ron Manager

Rossz is definitely my favourite and the only one I listen to with any regularity, but I get the impression with a lot of 'real' Snares fans that thinking Rossz is the best is akin to going into the Autechre forum and saying that Amber or Incunabula is your favourite... although looking over this page, Rossz seems to be getting a decent amount of love.

almost vsnares entire catalog sounds like high tempo patterns that constantly mutate with no real aim or guidance, and someone randomly flipping through the drum sounds being used while it plays out. ok the drum switching isn't entirely random. tbh i think his sound design is pretty good, and i think his mixing is pretty good. i just don't like any of his 'music'. maybe two or three times in each of his millions of 20minute long spastic freakout tracks, there will be a moment i DO like, and it will last less than 2 seconds, then go into something else that i hate.