IGNORED

your portable music player of choice

oscillik

mine is the Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Recorder

Sony_MZRH1_1.jpg

1. it has the best quality audio output i have ever heard on a portable music player - easily trumps the iPod (any model)

2. it has multiple methods of input for recording (optical, line in, mic in) with variable gain and mic sensitivity selector

3. can record MDs in the new Hi-MD spec which gives better sounding ATRAC3plus compression, along with Linear PCM recording and records onto the new 1GB MDs

4. media is VERY cheap, can be found on eBay for a bargain

5. battery is user replaceable

i love my Hi-MD recorder

you talk about the audio output, do you have a headphone amp?

i just use my ipod because i prefer a big library before music quality when i'm out and about

i have the same, and indeed the sound quality is pure as fuck, much more deep(deeper?) and wide(wider?) than the iphone's, without being over loud on the basses. A very subtle sound. But the fucker is quite expansive... 350€. besides what's your favorite eq/sound processing preset ? I always use the Studio preset, and sometimes the Amphitheater one if it fits the track.

However the piece of software for connecting the MD to a computer is craaaaappy. Sometimes it formats the disc, which turns any transfer of some precious recordings into a suspensefull experience.

P.S. Should i say "much more deep", "much more deeper" or "much deeper" ?

i just use my ipod because i prefer a big library before music quality when i'm out and about

nope, i don't have a headphone amp as i believe that the built-in amp should be sufficient. if a built-in amp isn't sufficient, then what's the point?

i see what you're saying about a big library of music, but i can actually fit 7 hours of Hi-SP recorded audio on a single Hi-MD so i'm ok :)

the mz-rh1 has a built-in amp :

HD Digital Amplifier More efficient than traditional analog amplifiers by using

less energy to produce the same signal. The audio benefits are higher

resolution sound quality, monitored noise reduction and accurate sound

reproduction.

But maybe is sony just blowing his own trumpet

Edited by Babar

i have the same, and indeed the sound quality is pure as fuck, much more deep(deeper?) and wide(wider?) than the iphone's, without being over loud on the basses. A very subtle sound. But the fucker is quite expansive... 350€. besides what's your favorite eq/sound processing preset ? I always use the Studio preset, and sometimes the Amphitheater one if it fits the track.

However the piece of software for connecting the MD to a computer is craaaaappy. Sometimes it formats the disc, which turns any transfer of some precious recordings into a suspensefull experience.

P.S. Should i say "much more deep", "much more deeper" or "much deeper" ?

yes, the sound output is very transparent. for example, i've noticed that when you listen to music on an iPod at low volumes the sound gets muddied up. whereas i can listen to the MZ-RH1 at really low volumes and still hear everything perfectly. as such i no longer listen to music at full volume, like i always used to with an iPod. so i'm saving a few years of my hearing too. mine wasn't too expensive, i managed to get mine for £198 through Amazon brand new in September.

with regards to the software, are you using the latest SonicStage? i've not encountered any problems whatsoever with it (running on Windows XP and then through Windows 7 64bit)

Guest Coalbucket PI

Recently got an iphone so I just use that because its convenient since I'm already carrying it on my pocket anyway..., but actually its a little annoying because you have to get it out of your pocket and unlock the screen to skip tracks or pause it. I have a 1st generation nano which is still really good and I prefer to use that, but I'm not about to carry an ipod and an iphone at the same time

Guest Al Hounos

Cowon S9

IMG_7151.jpg

From what I've read, it's the best sounding PMP out there. It sounds so good through my Sennheisers that I've started looking for a desktop headphone amp because listening on my laptop through my (unamped) DAC just doesn't sound good anymore by comparison.

It also has the best screen (AMOLED) on the market. Basically it kicks the iPod Touch's ass in the most important areas: sound and video quality.

It also plays FLAC, AVI, pretty much anything, and its UI source code is public so there's tons of user-made UIs out there. super customizable.

Edited by Al Hounos

Recently got an iphone so I just use that because its convenient since I'm already carrying it on my pocket anyway..., but actually its a little annoying because you have to get it out of your pocket and unlock the screen to skip tracks or pause it. I have a 1st generation nano which is still really good and I prefer to use that, but I'm not about to carry an ipod and an iphone at the same time

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=496831

Also works for iphones, but you won't be able to in/decrease the volume nor listen to the voice over stuff. Allows you to go to the previous/next track and pause.

much deeper

thanks

Also google tells me it's "all the more deep" instead of "all the more deeper".

Is it right ?

you don't want to carry an iPod nano and an iPhone at the same time? do you wear skin-tight pants, or are you just extremely emaciated and weak? i could understand your argument if it was based on a matter of the iPhone kind of making the iPod nano redundant, but your argument over not carrying both seems to be solely based upon the perceived practicality of carrying them both

Cowon S9

IMG_7151.jpg

From what I've read, it's the best sounding PMP out there. It sounds so good through my Sennheisers that I've started looking for a desktop headphone amp because listening on my laptop through my (unamped) DAC just doesn't sound good anymore by comparison.

It also has the best screen (AMOLED) on the market. Basically it kicks the iPod Touch's ass in the most important areas: sound and video quality.

It also plays FLAC, AVI, pretty much anything, and its UI source code is public so there's tons of user-made UIs out there. super customizable.

i've heard very very good things about the Cowon players. just the fact that they support FLAC playback is awesome, but personally if i want to listen to lossless audio i'll just put a record on my turntable. for portable music needs i don't mind sacrificing certain things. ATRAC3plus encoding is great sounding...there are a few occasions where i can hear artefacts, and that is mostly when i'm listening to later autechre releases (it's quite noticeable on Draft 7.30)

Edited by oscillik

Is it right ?

hmmm, i'm no expert on the English language, but i believe that would be bad grammatical syntax, regardless of what context it's used in.

i'm trying to formulate a sentence that would use "all the more deep" and still sound right, but i can't.

"balls...all the more deep....?"

Is it right ?

hmmm, i'm no expert on the English language, but i believe that would be bad grammatical syntax, regardless of what context it's used in.

i'm trying to formulate a sentence that would use "all the more deep" and still sound right, but i can't.

hmm let me have a try at it.

"I was fucking her all the more deeply that she was crying like a tortured baby"

Is it right ?

hmm let me have a try at it.

"I was fucking her all the more deeply that she was crying like a tortured baby"

touché, although there is an added "ly" there :p

I hope my zen xfi breaks soon so I can buy that Cowon S9 without feeling guilty.

i thought the Zens were supposed to be pretty decent too?

i use an ipod nano 8GB when working out/running mainly due to the size. it's really small and i cant find any other portable audio players that are that small and are 8GB

any other time i use the iphone

Cowon S9

IMG_7151.jpg

Ah, that saves me having to write a glowing review.

I fucking LOVE my S9.

I hope my zen xfi breaks soon so I can buy that Cowon S9 without feeling guilty.

My X-Fi really isn't. I've only had it for a year and I have to put an insane amount of pressure on 2 of the buttons. To select the previous track I have to press 4 buttons, really annoying. It crashes a lot. Has an awful filestructure so you can't easily put music on it. The random album feature isn't really random. Navigating on it isn't all that great... I wouldn't call it a good player at all.

The X-Fi 2 is probably an improvement because of the revamped interface, but I'm definitely looking for something else.

My X-Fi really isn't. I've only had it for a year and I have to put an insane amount of pressure on 2 of the buttons. To select the previous track I have to press 4 buttons, really annoying. It crashes a lot. Has an awful filestructure so you can't easily put music on it. The random album feature isn't really random. Navigating on it isn't all that great... I wouldn't call it a good player at all.

The X-Fi 2 is probably an improvement because of the revamped interface, but I'm definitely looking for something else.

The S9 it is then!

One thing I like about the Creative Zen and X-Fi is that it uses a mini USB cable.

My only gripe about the S9 is that it has it's own unique cable, which kinda fucks me off because if you lose it or something else happens, you know you're going to get charged a stupid amount by Cowon.

Guest Coalbucket PI

you don't want to carry an iPod nano and an iPhone at the same time? do you wear skin-tight pants, or are you just extremely emaciated and weak? i could understand your argument if it was based on a matter of the iPhone kind of making the iPod nano redundant, but your argument over not carrying both seems to be solely based upon the perceived practicality of carrying them both

I find the use of the phrase 'percieved practically' odd when youre talking about me and my pockets and my life, surely how I percieve it is the only thing of any importance? Anyway I think the iphone is pretty big for a phone already and I dont really like having it and the nano in one pocket, its just too bulky. Also I can fit more music on the phone. And yes obviously the iphone makes the ipod redundant for most uses (apart from the gym like someone else said), its just the controls that aren't as simple to use.

word to babar for that link, I will order one of those I think.

PS completely don't follow this thing about 'much deeper', what are you talking about? Isn't 'much deeper' the right way to say it?

Guest Al Hounos

My only gripe about the S9 is that it has it's own unique cable, which kinda fucks me off because if you lose it or something else happens, you know you're going to get charged a stupid amount by Cowon.

What's funny is that all the reviews say it's proprietary, but it's actually a standard USB connection for cell phones and small devices in Korea. So if you live in Korea it's actually pretty ordinary.

Not that that helps anyone else. :happy:

But it's amazing how unknown Cowon is. They make incredible stuff but have zero brand recognition. They really need to do some advertising outside of Korea.