IGNORED

your portable music player of choice

oscillik

Not sure if I posted in here before but I love my Fiio X5. A friend's mum gave it to me saying that it's too complicated and that she thought it's an iPod.. glad she's a fool

I uploaded my entire music library (171GB) to google music and stream it off there when im out and about. I have about 10 albums on my micro sd i switch up every week or so

Out of curiosity: Did you upload your files lossless and, if so, does google now allow you to re-download also as lossless? 

I once uploaded the majority of my music library to google music only to find out later that it downcoverts losless to 320 kbps MP3 and didn't save my lossless files as  lossless (so when my computer crashed/I went to download my "cloud saved" music library my files were no longer lossless). 

Yeah all my flac was converted to 320 kbps, doesnt bother me. I have my library backed up to external hd which will be my go to if god forbid my new thinkpad dies

I uploaded my entire music library (171GB) to google music and stream it off there when im out and about. I have about 10 albums on my micro sd i switch up every week or so

Out of curiosity: Did you upload your files lossless and, if so, does google now allow you to re-download also as lossless? 

I once uploaded the majority of my music library to google music only to find out later that it downcoverts losless to 320 kbps MP3 and didn't save my lossless files as  lossless (so when my computer crashed/I went to download my "cloud saved" music library my files were no longer lossless). 

Yeah all my flac was converted to 320 kbps, doesnt bother me. I have my library backed up to external hd which will be my go to if god forbid my new thinkpad dies

Ta- Yeah, learned my lesson and everything lossless is now on a backup drive. Guess Spotify took over my "not ultra HQ" listening experience now that I think on it. 

Right, back on topic: Fiio M3K based on recommendations from WATMM. Couldn't be happier - affordable, rock solid, great sound. The scroll function is a tad sensitive but that's my only "complaint." Syro sound redonk good on it. . . 

i bought a fiio m7 and it's great but it isn't. it's supposed to have 20 hours play time, i'd make a good guess that it's been less than 10 hours

i've only charged it 100 percent once  :shrug: i guess i'll trade it in for another one

I already posted about this in the stupid FWP thread, but I ended up reverting back to my 8-year-old HTC Desire android phone recently to use strictly as a music player, because the headphone jack is toast in my primary phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge). Funny how older phones can actually be more reliable in this manner, although the controls and interface on the HTC seem to have lost some functionality over time.

because the headphone jack is toast in my primary phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge).

Get a toothpick into that bad boy - If it's anything like mine it collects more fluff than my belly button.....

I miss the fix-ability of my S3 though. For 3 quid ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-replacement-assembly-headphone/dp/B00D42RXEW/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_4?keywords=samsung+Galaxy+SIII+headphone+module&qid=1553179110&s=electronics&sr=1-4-fkmrnull ) you could replace the entire sound module, no soldering - Just a few tiny tiny screws and a cable that you unclip and then reclip with the replacement module

because the headphone jack is toast in my primary phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge).

Get a toothpick into that bad boy - If it's anything like mine it collects more fluff than my belly button.....

I miss the fix-ability of my S3 though. For 3 quid ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-replacement-assembly-headphone/dp/B00D42RXEW/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_4?keywords=samsung+Galaxy+SIII+headphone+module&qid=1553179110&s=electronics&sr=1-4-fkmrnull ) you could replace the entire sound module, no soldering - Just a few tiny tiny screws and a cable that you unclip and then reclip with the replacement module

AFAIK the rear casing of my phone must be removed entirely, and the inner jack replaced altogether. And then some kind of hot glue or waterproof sealant is necessary to close it back up afterwards if I'm not mistaken. But I'm not sure it's worth the trouble for a 3-year-old phone at this point.

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, yekker said:

i bought a fiio m7 and it's great but it isn't. it's supposed to have 20 hours play time, i'd make a good guess that it's been less than 10 hours

i've only charged it 100 percent once  :shrug: i guess i'll trade it in for another one

Ever since owning this thing whenever there is a noticeable glitch sound (autechre, venetian snares) it turns the track off.

Has this ever happened to anyone? This is bothering me lately and I'm considering buying another one and checking it with glitch while I still can return it.

Anyone have experience with fiio x7 mkii ??

Edit: now I'm leaning towards the fiio m11 but I don't think I'll be able to find it locally. Meaning returning it from an online store, maybe amazon, if it does the glitch thing. Sounds like a headache. 

Edited by yekker

22 minutes ago, chronical said:

Got one of these, a Fiio X5. It's built like a tank and runs pretty well. It can actually drive my HD650s which surprised me ?

Yeah, my Fiio M3K seems to be able put out quite a lot of power. Fiio also makes headphone amps so maybe they just use the same circuitry in the MP3 players?

1 hour ago, zkom said:

Yeah, my Fiio M3K seems to be able put out quite a lot of power. Fiio also makes headphone amps so maybe they just use the same circuitry in the MP3 players?

Yeah seems like it. Looks like they know what they're doing! I can use my Fiio as a USB DAC/preamp too, never used it that way though. Interesting read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FiiO_X_Series

Edited by chronical

• 2 years later...

had an ipod classic back in like 2005, it crapped out at some point. had a cheap sansdisk player, that also crapped out sometime before 2013. been using an ipod touch 5th generation for the past 10 years or so, and it has held up remarkably well. dropped the fckin thing a few times, screens cracked to hell, but it still works. bought a new laptop recently, and wanted to use that as the excuse to finally get away from itunes. I've never liked itunes for most obvious reasons, but put up with it like so many people have to do.

so decided to buy a non apple mp3 player, cheap $50 one off amazon. it sounded like shit, audio was awful, gave it to the kid. then I bought one of the pretty decently reviewed ones again off amazon - HiFi Walker H2. the audio quality is OK, it seems to suffer from quietness issues though. messed around with EQ settings and again it was OK, not great, and probably not as good sounding as the ipod. but whatever, no more itunes. now the fckin thing has stopped powering on after about a week of use.

I don't know why I keep doing this. is it normal to still want an mp3 player? I dunno. I know the old smartphone thing is an option, but my old phones all had battery issues, which is why they got replaced. I really don't want to fork out for one of the expensive Astell & Kern's, or really spend too much at all on a new one, due to reasons mentioned above. it seems like any of the sub $300 mp3 players are all Chinese no name brands...

sooo has anyone bought a decent mp3 player recently, that is (a) not apple (b) not super expensive (c) pretty good audio quality and (d) has bluetooth? or am I chasing a white whale.

10 minutes ago, zero said:

sooo has anyone bought a decent mp3 player recently, that is (a) not apple (b) not super expensive (c) pretty good audio quality and (d) has bluetooth? or am I chasing a white whale.

TBH I believe yr chasing the white whale. I gave into the whole phone-is-my-portable-audio a while ago now when foobar became available for Android.  Best no-nonsense music app by a long way.

Good evening Mr Zero (GMT)

Still use my Sony Walkman for playing tracks not on Spotify. Stuff like Skee Mask, Aphex Soundcloud and CDs like AFX Remixes For Cash. I guess I can now delete Tool and King Crimson which I have on there as they are now on Spotify. Also got stuff on there like Autechre Warp Tapes, Quadrange EP, that Squarepusher NTS mix etc etc. Had all the Elseq sets on there but they are now on Spotify. I've tried but never really put effort into finding out how I can put all this stuff on an iPhone. I don't mind having two devices tbh.

Edited by beerwolf

1 hour ago, BobDobalina said:

TBH I believe yr chasing the white whale. I gave into the whole phone-is-my-portable-audio a while ago now when foobar became available for Android.  Best no-nonsense music app by a long way.

probably so. when all the "best mp3 player of 20xx" lists are either 4 figure $ audiophile geared splurges or Chinese no names, then it appears mp3 players are not what your average music enthusiasts go for these days. guess I have to give in and use the phone...even tho that runs antithesis to my personal mantra of not wanting to be disturbed when I'm going full on mind numbing backyard lawn chair zen dad leave me the hell alone with nature & tunes mode.

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Still use my Sony Walkman

I know yours is digital, but man this makes me yearn for the simplicity of popping in a tape/CD, and not really fidgeting with ur device after that. just zone out to the music and not pull the damn thing outta your pocket after every track to do who knows what with. long time ago I had a discman + 2-3 CDs that religiously used to accompany me on many a subway/public transit ride/walk through the city.

3 hours ago, zero said:

pretty good audio quality

as you probably know, this doesn't depend exclusively on the player itself... I believe most phones nowadays have good enough dac's so the audio quality is going to depend mostly on the head-phones/in-ears that u use (if you're using wired)... now, if you're using Bluetooth, almost definetly the player quality is not going to be considerable in relation to the head-phones/in-ears quality (explanation for this can be found on the Bluetooth headphones thread)...

so, long story short, any player is good enough, being it an android phone running vlc player or an ipod... I'd be happy to be corrected...

• Like 1