IGNORED

Machinedrum User Appreciation

acidphakist

2 hours in, havent even started loading my samples and im in love.

borrowed my pals juno-60 to go with it, ive got my first full live set on the 30th, genuinely finally loving production, after 4-5 years of faffing about getting frustrated at my tunes not sounding like the shit i adore.

I think I posted this tip recently in another thread but one thing I like doing is dedicating one of the tracks and one of the outputs of the MD to just playing a click and feeding that into the clock input of the Juno. Then the arpeggiator will only move on when it gets a click. So, latch an arpeggiated chord on the Juno and it'll only step forward when you send it the click so you can get more interesting rhythms for your arp.

It gets more interesting when you have two tracks playing clicks of different patterns but to the same output going into the Juno. Then you can mute and unmute the tracks to get variations on the Juno.

Great fun.

wasn't a good portion of the 2005 - 2008 tours mostly just MnM/MD and an MPC? And wasn't Quaristice basically tweaked out jams based on the tour material stored in the machines? Or at least this version of the truth somehow did establish itself as part of my world view.

(also, Perlence. fucking Perlence man.)

I was just kidding... waitaminute! are you too? is this double sarcasm? :emotawesomepm9:

Altibzz is a basically solo on Machinedrum.

Not MonoMachine?

Anyway...they showed with Untilted what can be done with MD & MnM.

But THEY showed! Listening all those youtube videos with Elektron stuff one could conclude that those machines are the worst pieces of instruments ever created.

Out of the four i'd like to have only MD & MnM. Analog Four i don't see as anything special really (sounds pretty normal to me and i don't need that) and i'm not crazy for Octatrack either.

IMO (even tho i haven't played with them) machinedrum is the best drum machine we have today and Monomachine sounds like nothing else; somebody could said bad sounding but i like its uniqueness...i'm bored with all those standard ANALOOOOG sounds and ''gimme analogueqeiugo or nothing'' attitudes... Your mama!

if you have a lot of other gear lying around, like rack synths or other midi capable drum machines I'd say the Monomachine is a better investment over an Analog4. If you're just getting started with serious synth gear purchases and want more a traditional framework to play with sonically, i think you made the best choice. Even though the monomachine might technically be more 'varied' than the Analog 4 in terms of just character of sound, it's more difficult to achieve bread and butter melodic synth patches on than with the analog4. The monomachine has several different synth engines that all have a very specific flavor to them, even just the FM engine to me sounds more 'weird' than a traditional yamaha FM. The only main disadvantage the Analog4 has as just a synth/sequencer is it doesnt have a built in poly mode yet and has 2 less voices/sequencer lanes, but in a few months it probably will have a poly mode in an OS update. The monomachine's main strength is it can sequence polyphonically, up to 6 channels of external midi gear. As just a synth I'm honestly not too fond of it. IF you really like very biting acidic synth lines though the monomachine's filter can get pretty intense, where you can duplicate the 'bite' of a 303 very easily but the tone is still rather different. I haven't achieved that same intensity off the Analog4 yet, maybe Phling can speak to this. I'd take a guess and say '90101-51-1' off Quaristice is using a monomachine for the acid line, but you're not going to easily get a sound like that. However on tracks like Chenc9 or Bnc Castl it sounds like they are using sounds (melodies on chenc9 but bnc castl the drums too) right out of the box with very little modification. Again some of my gear spotting attempts could be completely off base, someone here said that they were certain '90101-51-1' was all made on a modded mpc, even the acid line.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

hm i don't have very much experience with synths in general, the MD and Analog Four are my only pieces of kit worth mentioning, other than that I've noodled about with a few monosynths.

thus, i have only a vague idea of where to place the Analog Four ... I specifically haven't ever used a monomachine.<br /><br />but here's a blurb of thoughts i have about the Analog Four:<br /><br />Its seeming limitedness or lack of character compared to the MnM is deceiving.<br /><br />boring sounds come out of it if one makes boring patches... Interesting things are not easy to make, and require a good mix of intuitive tweaking and some planning / knowledge. I'm not very happy with the sounds and patterns I come up with at this point, it is not even the music i want to make.<br /><br />In my opinion the synth engine is actually not especially good at very simple patches, e.g. something like an old school techno rubber bass which may sound great & inspiring on a SH101, will sound quite lackluster on the A4. granted, i haven't had a chance to A/B compare. But I very often make a sound with it and put down a bassline or something, and think "hm, that kinda sounds like that classic stuff, but not quite there. something's amiss" and then i spend an hour finetuning envelopes and oscillator pulsewidths and legato settings and accents, usually ending up with a lame fake detroit thing.<br /><br />Compare to the Machinedrum: It <em>can be used</em> to <em>kinda</em> emulate something like a 909, it's what many people want, great. but it is not a 909. where the MD truly shines is doing completely weird stuff imho. And I'm entirely used to make weird sounds with it, it is what I bought it for.<br /><br />I think the Analog Four is very similar, just a bit young and under-explored at this point. There's so much you <em>can</em> do with it. But, something often pulls me towards trying to create "basic classic synth patches" and boring 4-bar old-school pseudo acid crap with it.. it's deceiving! I don't know what this is. likely some sort of insecurity of what to really create with the thing.<br />I wish I wouldn't know about acid and detroit and all that jazz at this point and could explore the synth with an unbiased mind.<br />Because it is a lush synth!

edit: lol walls of text

Edited by Guest

But THEY showed!

yeah this. hasn't happened with the analog four yet. (shudders at the thought of sean booth not even liking the analog four, what then huh? wat)

lol

Better sell yours before next interview with Ae came out cause this could actually be very true. Its street value could drop significantly afterwards.

But THEY showed!

yeah this. hasn't happened with the analog four yet. (shudders at the thought of sean booth not even liking the analog four, what then huh? wat)

I want a monomachine. The main reason by far that I don't want an A4 as much is the fact that it's only got a stereo pair of outputs.

I'd take a guess and say '90101-51-1' off Quaristice is using a monomachine for the acid line, but you're not going to easily get a sound like that.

Actually it's MPC1000. Rob described this track as "MPC acid". I don't know him or anything, but yeah, straight from the horse's mouth.

i think 'simmm' off quaristice is supposed to be 100% machinedrum + monomachine. remember some ae insider dude with a postcount of 1 showed up in a thread years ago and just dropped a bunch of knowledge. he said the clue to what was used to make that track was in the song title. i didn't get it at first but then later it hit me: simmm = machinedrum + monomachine.

not 100% proof i guess but a good theory considering the sound of that track & the gear they used to make that album.

So yeah, I finally got to play around with the two a little bit today. And I honestly have very little idea of what I'm doing. I know synthesis and all that I just don't know how to program the shit yet. And the MD manual's really thick so I'm intimidated by it. Any starter tips or anything would really help. (It's my first time using something that's not Logic)

it's tough to learn them both at the same time..

maybe completely ignore kits for now, and trick yourself into thinking they are both oldschool analog synths without patch storage. if you never load or save kits, the devices will act just like that.

so just switch them on and play... on the analog four, just tweak the knobs and put down trigs in the sequencer, or play with the keyboard.

on the machinedrum, you have to enter the kit menu, then go to edit, and assign machines to the tracks. machines are kind of like presets based on the different synth engines. see?

it already gets complicated.

definitely read the manuals, there's no way around this.

imo a big part of the elektron experience is a slowly decaying feeling of "WTF is going on.....??", enjoy it.