IGNORED

Machinedrum User Appreciation

acidphakist

If you want to get weird like the func hold and tweak can but don't want everything to be affected then use the Ctrl all machine. If you do not know the trick for this, PM me and i'll explain it.

Ah yes, forgot there was that other machine you could use - shall check that out

The Function+Knob trick certainly affects input machines, had quite a few funny instances of this happening live. I think for that P-locking-the-input-machine workaround to work correctly, you have to set a trigger on every single step, and P-lock every step in turn. I haven't tried it though. Might get my head into Machinedrum mode later today and report back.

very clever - shall give that a bash 2moro and see what happens.

Guest Chesney

Cool. The ctrl al machine is really underated for making off the wall sequences. Especially when you can make as many versions of the sound of the loop as there are steps in the sequence by just using the mutes.

• 3 months later...

I semi-impulsively bought a UW+ (used, but very close to mint condition) for a good price yesterday. Gonna sell my OP-1 to make up the cost. Took it home and within an hour had realised that I made the right decision. Somehow it's even more weird than the monomachine!

Looks like I'll be able to use the GND-IMP on an output to sync nanoloop as well, which is very nice. I could have done this on the monomachine as well, but one track out of 16 vs. one track out of 6 is a big difference.. Think I'm gonna play around with the RAM machines as well, resampling and warping nanoloop while it's playing for weird techno mayhem.

Yeah I'm thinking it'll be good to use the RAM machines to sample monomachine patterns as well, to help with pattern transitions.

Edited by modey

yeah transitions are something many people use this for I guess, personally I never had the patience / discipline to use it that way...

used them as a creative tool mostly...

try it with a random radio station or mp3 player.. e.g. record once per 16-steps, play multiple short trigs of the sampled input, apply some filter/delay/reverb etc...

also great for internal resampling, e.g. try this:

- start with an empty pattern

- load an empty kit

- make sure all tracks are unmuted

- load RAM R1 / P1 machines to 2 tracks

- load a single synth sound somewhere, e.g. an FM kick to track 1

- play the synth sound just on step 1, just so that you have a simple sound source so you can hear clearly what the RAM machines do

- record with the R1 machine on step 1, set R1 MLEV parameter to 63 (will record the internal sound at full volume)

- place multiple trigs on several steps in the P1 track.

now you have a sort of "programmable delay" for the synth sound.

e.g. start by tweaking the pitch parameter on the P1 machine just slightly. tweak other parameters... tweak the synth parameters.... shift the P1 trigs around, use p-locks, etc etc etc, you get the idea... lots of weird-ass tape-manipulation-like things can happen... and then you have 4 independent RAM buffers in total, each can be used on multiple tracks...

the RAM machines were by far the most interesting part of the MDUW imho,

Edited by Guest

yeah transitions are something many people use this for I guess, personally I never had the patience / discipline to use it that way...

used them as a creative tool mostly...

try it with a random radio station or mp3 player.. e.g. record once per 16-steps, play multiple short trigs of the sampled input, apply some filter/delay/reverb etc...

also great for internal resampling, e.g. try this:

- start with an empty pattern

- load an empty kit

- make sure all tracks are unmuted

- load RAM R1 / P1 machines to 2 tracks

- load a single synth sound somewhere, e.g. an FM kick to track 1

- play the synth sound just on step 1, just so that you have a simple sound source so you can hear clearly what the RAM machines do

- record with the R1 machine on step 1, set R1 MLEV parameter to 63 (will record the internal sound at full volume)

- place multiple trigs on several steps in the P1 track.

now you have a sort of "programmable delay" for the synth sound.

e.g. start by tweaking the pitch parameter on the P1 machine just slightly. tweak other parameters... tweak the synth parameters.... shift the P1 trigs around, use p-locks, etc etc etc, you get the idea... lots of weird-ass tape-manipulation-like things can happen... and then you have 4 independent RAM buffers in total, each can be used on multiple tracks...

the RAM machines were by far the most interesting part of the MDUW imho,

wow, great idea! Definitely gonna give that a shot.

maybe we should turn the chilled MnM comp into a discontinued Elektron box comp ;)

yes, good idea! we could not do it just as like as we haven't done the mnm comp

hence the wink ;) ha

huh, looks like it can do granular, and almost formant-esque synthesis..

this was all from a bunch of nanoloop percussion samples I crammed into one sample slot.. sounds fkn weird

http://0f.digital/audio/md%20weirdness.mp3

Edited by modey

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I bought one of these guys years ago, used it for one album in 2009 (most likely the wrong way), then basically put it on storage. The other week I decided to bust it out again.

I can't for the life of me find the TM-1 that goes with it.

The first thing I did was decide to upgrade the OS. I downloaded the C6 software and tried to update the firmware with a 1x speed but i couldn't get it to do anything. After flailing about for 20 min, I download Sysex Librarian on OSX and was able to update the firmware VERY FUCKING SLOWLY.

I'm having a great time with the MD, learning new things I didn't know about before, but I hate the shit factory samples they give you in the rom slots. I'd like to load it up some breaks and some synth tones for musical stuff.

AFAIK I can't load samples onto the thing through Sysex Librarian, so am I stuck repurchasing a TM-1?

TL;DR - I lost my TM-1, how do I get samples onto this thing?

you should be able to get samples into it and upgrade the OS without TM-1 using c6 but yeah, it's going to be *really* slow.

The TM-1 does nothing special except negotiate a higher transfer speed with the MDUW.

without it, basically establish a two-way MIDI connection between MD and your MiDI interface (in->out, out->in), then select the correct interface in c6 settings, and go. The two-way connection ensures that the MD can talk back to c6, making transfers more reliable. C6 is a piece of shit app tho, so it may still fail for some reason or the other.

Totally worth hunting for a used TM-1 imo, just because it's faster.

Yeah I can't get the C6 software to do anything for me. Everytime I try to send a wav regardless of what parameters I have I get an unhandled checksum error and sometimes to spice things up it gives me a wrong packet error.

Edit: I actually got it to work by setting the delay ticks to 5 whatever the hell that does beyond making it go even slower. Works now at least, cheers!

god damn, the physical modeling set is so good, it's pretty much exactly the kind of drum synthesis I want.

Looking at videos of the arturia drum brute makes me realise what a good decision I made by purchasing the MD :D

god damn, the physical modeling set is so good, it's pretty much exactly the kind of drum synthesis I want.

Looking at videos of the arturia drum brute makes me realise what a good decision I made by purchasing the MD :D

THIS!!! x1000

huh, looks like it can do granular, and almost formant-esque synthesis..

this was all from a bunch of nanoloop percussion samples I crammed into one sample slot.. sounds fkn weird

http://0f.digital/audio/md%20weirdness.mp3

Would you be willing to share the contents of the sample slot?

It's my nanoloop sample pack from this thread:

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/91633-nanoloop-2-sample-pack/?view=getnewpost

but I smashed all of the perc/chord/bass etc samples together into single files, so I could plock the start/end point and effectively use multiple samples in one ROM machine. It needs refining though; I need to place the samples on a 1/128 grid in order for the sample start/end positions to be accurate..

Edited by modey

Is there a way to generate a random kit?

As a software developer and musician, I feel like this would be a no brainer.