IGNORED

carl sagan's cosmos

Alzado

i was fortunate to acquire some extra special stuff recently and so I decided to get warm and toasty and watch Cosmos by Carl Sagan. Carl Sagan was like the really smart awesome uncle that lived in California and you only met him like once or twice but he's really awesome and your mom would always tell you these really awesome stories about how totally awesome and cool and funny he is. you would brag to your friends about how your uncle is so badass and awesome even though you really can't remember the last time you saw him because you were too young.

fuck yeah Carl, shine onn you crazy diamond.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like the shit at the end of cosmos on netflix. it's carl sagan 10 years later talking about what's new with the topic previously discussed.

nothing but admiration for sagan, he had a way of explaining things that was always interesting. he was never dismissive of the other side, but reasoned his way through logic to arrive at his own conclusion.

I have every episode on my laptop - when I first heard about it not long ago, I used to play through all the episodes as I went to sleep.. and because the episodes were on a quiet volume all night, they'd be on a constant cycle so that I hear Sagan's voice talking about the gases which make up Venus' atmosphere or talking about the speed of light as soon as I wake up in the morning. There is nothing else out there quite like this, whereby science is given out to the public in such simplistic terms and language. Anyone can understand Sagan's rhetoric. It's this sort of thing which kids should be given to watch instead of Disney fantasies. The physical world is much more interesting.

he had a way of explaining things that was always interesting. he was never dismissive of the other side, but reasoned his way through logic to arrive at his own conclusion.

exactly right

I love the way he speaks, he instantly draws you in and makes things that you didn't know about understandable. I wish there was a whole channel on TV with programs like this. I mean science channel is cool and all, but its pretty shallow.

I love the way he speaks, he instantly draws you in and makes things that you didn't know about understandable. I wish there was a whole channel on TV with programs like this. I mean science channel is cool and all, but its pretty shallow.

the discovery channel has turned into shit. it's all shows like "top ten predators" and "let's build EXTREME cars" and "day in the life of [type of deformity here]."

i think myth busters is the only good show on there now.

carl is, quite literally, my hero. no-one could explain science like him except maybe feynman.

my son bought me this on 7" for christmas. i rewatched all of cosmos not too long ago because of this.

carl motherfucking sagan.

It's this sort of thing which kids should be given to watch instead of Disney fantasies. The physical world is much more interesting.

i talked with my son's science teacher - i wanted to show his class one episode of cosmos a week

the teacher was up for it, but the school wasn't :angry:

the discovery channel has turned into shit. it's all shows like "top ten predators" and "let's build EXTREME cars" and "day in the life of [type of deformity here]."

pretty much, when old shows come on like that palaeontology one, it's so filled with nicely presented information. With debate between the main protagonists working in the field (in the US at least). You have to pine for a time when the programming directors actually wanted the science channel to contain science.

---

If you have the net though(duh), check out BBC horizon documentaries. Just recently they did one on measurement 'how longs a peice of string' ... or there's the latest in medical developments such as building replacement organs 'fix me' (this was really cool) ... unfortunately nowadays even the bbC seems to be giving in to their drama department. Or it's that the people that worked on reality TV have now gotten promoted and are spilling over into other areas of production. Because most science shows seem to need a human hook. This is achieved, via manufacturing some stupid competition between teams to deliver some point or fact. Or they will spent too much time following the thread of human drama in the piece, rather than just delivering the facts. -sie-

I blame letting women out of the house and into television. I mean just look at the films they like to watch. All romantic platitudes or base line emotional conflict, presented in a stiltingly slow predictable format. hello reality tV,

lolz... -ducks-

i blame dumb men as much as women. but i felt like being controversial yanoe.

;-p

If you have the net though(duh), check out BBC horizon documentaries.

there's a torrent doing the rounds with a metric shit-ton of horizon docus... great stuff

i think myth busters is the only good show on there now.

not in canada. worst show is probably time warp. mythbusters isn't bad. best thing about discovery, however, is the specials they have,

the ship of imagination is a nebula class starship

time warp was cool for one or 2 episodes, mythbusters is good. other than that history and discovery blow nowadays

yeah, i grimace when I see the ship of imagination. it's a bit corny. but otherwise, great series.

i mean, i kind of like it now... it's a device that works i guess.

it's just a little scary when it looked like it was just going to be him flying around smiling for the whole 7 DVDs.

it's not surprising when you consider that he was a pothead.

yeah, i grimace when I see the ship of imagination. it's a bit corny. but otherwise, great series.

it's just a little scary when it looked like it was just going to be him flying around smiling for the whole 7 DVDs.

looool

really? didn't think he could get much cooler but, alas.

Archived