IGNORED

LOST - Season 6

Rubin Farr

found this in a forum:

What happened is that the writers had this great idea for this island world. The island would be purgatory and the characters would have to work through their problems before "moving on" and no child could be born there. The writers thought the viewers (at least not most of them) would never figure out this great twist. They surely underestimated the viewers and the twist was the most popular theory by the end of season 1. Now what could they do? They could not continue a show for 5 more years were everyone had the show figured out. So the writers assured all their viewers that the island was not purgatory and to "stay tuned" for the real mystery to get answered. So 5 years later after that great first season the writers (maybe still in love with the original idea) chose to use the purgatory idea on the flash sideways. The main story could not be purgatory, as they promised us, so the next best thing is to build another story (flash sideways) in order to wrap up the main story (island). And that's that.

It's probably what happened haha. it would be strange for them to deny the island was purgatory over and over just to include it again as the key point in the finale.

either that or it was another masturbatory exercise where they self reference the first ever theory of the show as being the end. whatever.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how anyone could not understand that the flash sideways were a purgatory realm and that the island stuff DID happen is truly beyond me, Christian laid it out blatantly for all to hear

how anyone could not understand that the flash sideways were a purgatory realm and that the island stuff DID happen is truly beyond me, Christian laid it out blatantly for all to hear

this

and I am damn pleased with the way it ended....

what the fuck were the rest of expecting, a documentary style explanation of all the questions you've ever had about the show?

no, we all just got more show and an ending....

write your own show and then you can bitch about it not going the way you wanted.... :ohmy:

Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

yep

bit lame but shouldnt be confusing

write your own show and then you can bitch about it not going the way you wanted.... :ohmy:

i'm going to - it's called showrunners, and it's about the struggles of two hollywood jerkoffs in making stuff up as they go along for six seasons of an unexpectedly successful show-within-a-show called magic purgatory island.

i'm not sure purgatory is an appropriate label for what we saw in lost. purgatory is usually associated with some kind of suffering, trials or judgement before passing to the afterlife.

although you could say there were trials, it seemed to me more like a happy reunion than purgatory in its usual definition.

I love this attitude. Over 100 episodes and six years and no one knows WTF is happening on the show. Now you're a total fucking moron for nit understanding that when you are in "purgatory" you may have a different name or family or be married to someone elses love. You may even have an imaginary son. Duh.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

found this in a forum:

What happened is that the writers had this great idea for this island world. The island would be purgatory and the characters would have to work through their problems before "moving on" and no child could be born there. The writers thought the viewers (at least not most of them) would never figure out this great twist. They surely underestimated the viewers and the twist was the most popular theory by the end of season 1. Now what could they do? They could not continue a show for 5 more years were everyone had the show figured out. So the writers assured all their viewers that the island was not purgatory and to "stay tuned" for the real mystery to get answered. So 5 years later after that great first season the writers (maybe still in love with the original idea) chose to use the purgatory idea on the flash sideways. The main story could not be purgatory, as they promised us, so the next best thing is to build another story (flash sideways) in order to wrap up the main story (island). And that's that.

It's probably what happened haha. it would be strange for them to deny the island was purgatory over and over just to include it again as the key point in the finale.

either that or it was another masturbatory exercise where they self reference the first ever theory of the show as being the end. whatever.

this rings very true. very. also the smoke monster nanobot theory too.

this

and I am damn pleased with the way it ended....

what the fuck were the rest of expecting, a documentary style explanation of all the questions you've ever had about the show?

no, we all just got more show and an ending....

i had very low expectations for the finale. very very low. i knew there would be no more answer but figured that the timeline thing would obviously be concluded. they even managed to balls that up. completely. you don't feel that the entire alt timeline was pointless? the island stuff was fine, i would have walked away happy with that but the purgatory shit is just plain bad. i don't see how anyone could be satisfied with that.

this finale made me go into macdonalds, calm as hell, and giggle softly while i slaughtered every man woman and child in the entire building. then i didnt even kill myself.

why the hell was eloise pidgen trying to not get desmond to find out what alt timeline was about?

I love this attitude. Over 100 episodes and six years and no one knows WTF is happening on the show. Now you're a total fucking moron for nit understanding that when you are in "purgatory" you may have a different name or family or be married to someone elses love. You may even have an imaginary son. Duh.

it made no sense to me or anyone i watched it with and we were all 6 season viewers. i think maybe we were in denial

"I'm dead too"

oh

lost started off being idm then fans got all boc with it until it became autechre

Guest Dirty Protest

this finale made me go into macdonalds, calm as hell, and giggle softly while i slaughtered every man woman and child in the entire building. then i didnt even kill myself.

why the hell was eloise pidgen trying to not get desmond to find out what alt timeline was about?

Edited due lack of sleep =)

did that mean Eloise was dead? That entire alt timeline was "purgatory" so if dead Desmond was getting dead Claire to give birth to a baby in purgatory than Eloise was dead there too. Also you can have a baby after you're dead and not quite in heaven yet? Lol

Guest Dirty Protest

Heres the edit if my brain works this time. I reckon she wanted time to make it up with her dead son, or couldnt handle him knowing that she killed him. But frankly all of this is just gash.

Especially considering there is no time there. Christian explains that and then Kate says I couldn't wait for you to get here. Lolwut?

Guest alky

proper explanation of the numbers

dharma supply pallets dropping in the first couple episodes of season 1 (by this point in the timeline dharma was long gone??

absolutely no mention whatsoever of walt / walt's dad. walt was special or some shit, but no, lets just forget he was ever written into the show at all

smoke monster being explained away by making it equal a character. remember back in the day everyone was trying to give a real sci-fi explanation to it? 'cos that's the kind of show we appeared to be watching. yeah we all wanted to hear it was some dharma experiment or something, nanobots or some shit. not just, oh hey we found the smoke monster! it's this guy over here who can look like dead people because he fell down a brightly lit hole once.

whitmore's station in the plane fuselage in the snow which we saw for like 5 minutes once and never again

i'm sure there are more things the writers hope we just overlooked, but so much has happened i can't quite remember off the top of my head..

-------------------------

all in all though i did enjoy the finale, taking it on face value for what it was. the final scene with jack + vincent was awesome.

proper explanation of the numbers

dharma supply pallets dropping in the first couple episodes of season 1 (by this point in the timeline dharma was long gone??

absolutely no mention whatsoever of walt / walt's dad. walt was special or some shit, but no, lets just forget he was ever written into the show at all

smoke monster being explained away by making it equal a character. remember back in the day everyone was trying to give a real sci-fi explanation to it? 'cos that's the kind of show we appeared to be watching. yeah we all wanted to hear it was some dharma experiment or something, nanobots or some shit. not just, oh hey we found the smoke monster! it's this guy over here who can look like dead people because he fell down a brightly lit hole once.

whitmore's station in the plane fuselage in the snow which we saw for like 5 minutes once and never again

i'm sure there are more things the writers hope we just overlooked, but so much has happened i can't quite remember off the top of my head..

-------------------------

all in all though i did enjoy the finale, taking it on face value for what it was. the final scene with jack + vincent was awesome.

the shack.

wtf did the bomb do then?. i guess its detonation was the incident after all.

i'm pretty confident i've got lost figured. however there is one thing that does have me slightly perplexed and that is the turtle.

one minute it's there on the beach with young mib, then fake mum comes over and POOF turtle is nowhere to be seen.

did turtle ever exist? is turtle dead or just magnetic?

LOL

that was gold!

major lol concerning the fact that they didn't even fix the lost intro-logo for the last fucking episode. Ever since I first noticed it during the first season it's just as hilarious every time - how they fucked up the rendering or just the 3d structure of the text in that sequence.

example

lostpixels.jpg

JJ Abrams said he basically had 10 minutes to create a logo, he just threw the words into Adobe After Effects. He said he didn't care for the obvious flickering, it was even charming.

Archived