IGNORED

Monolith - Volume 1

homecharlie

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like the release. i'm looking forward to future releases from him, especially the track in that electronicexplorations mix.

the tuss similarities are quite obvious, but no where near a clone IMO.

You guys sure invent a lot of problems for yourselves over an EP on a record label.

yeah

haha, totally. If they knew what was who, this argument wouldn't exist. :spiteful:

--- ::

Anyway, to the release the last track is eminently repeatable, lovely stuff. The second and third are nice. And the first can fuck off, mostly.

Makes me look forward to that much anticipated release we've all been hoping about.

got sucked in by the hype. this sounds like a straight-up pastiche of Tuss-isms, though the tracks don't breathe quite like those on Rushup Edge. Almost like a weird joke. amazing if this isn't RDJ... who would go to such a length to sound so similar?

So far it's my favorite new thing Rephlex just released. It's not as willfully weird as The Tuss could be, it's a lot more streamlined and the synths do sound very different. I think Richard knows how to use dissonance to great effect in his music, while other people might be a little less confident about putting such grating sounds into their tracks and still have it sound lush.

Guest Otto Krat

Even the track's names look like the tuss:

Synthacon 9

Last Rushup 10

Syphonic Flash

Shiz Ko E

Rushup I Bank 12

Vigton 3 Stun

F-Tron

Death Fuck

22 Livingstones

Goodbye Rute

But they're indeed quite fun (nice) to listen to.

do we have hard evidence that monolith is not RDJ?

Yes, Monolith hangs out on watmm and took part in several rounds of the 'watmm monthly remix competition' last year, and I think its safe to say that RDJ would never do that.

(Check out the second track on round 2 of the remix comp by the way - the one by 'AnonB' - its by Monolith and its awesome)

edit: Also, Monolith is 'now booking for the 2010 Rephlex tour', which implies they're a real person not some secret alias.

Finally heard this, and it does sound like a bit of the Tuss, but I think he's found his own sound as well. He's done very well for himself and is only getting better with his production. It'll be interesting to see if he continues on the 'analogue and digital' (god I hate that genre name) route or moves to something else. Probably the former, which I would be ok with.

Archived