IGNORED

Monomachine User Appreciation

futureimage

i would personally like to thank Elektron for dropping the price of the monomachine so drastically. I was just a few days away from listing mine for sale on eBay when they did this. at first i was pissed because there was no way i was going to come even close to breaking even on what i paid for it (and i got it used to begin with).

so i figured there was no point in selling it just to lose money. i decided to keep it and really put in the time to dig deep & get the most out of it. to try and find something useful for me & some sounds & textures that were off the beaten path of what this synth is known for.

first thing i did was to try it as an fx processor for my octatrack and got fantastic results straight away. even before you route the inputs to a dedicated fx track, you have all the stuff that is built into each monomachine track by default (filters, delays, distortion, eq, bit reduction, envelopes...). when you start p-locking all of this stuff you can get some really complex warping of whatever you input. i set each track up with different settings & locks, then used mute mode and tapped the trig keys to bring things in and out dub style.

one of the keys to getting a monomachine to sound less like a monomachine is loading your own waveforms to use with the digipro machine. i was skeptical at first, but it's amazing how much you can expand the sonic range of the synth by doing this. you can also basically do wavetable synthesis using the double-draw machine to scan thru the waveforms with an lfo. just by using those 2 elements there is a lot to discover.

i feel bad about sleeping on this synth for so long. my octatrack was getting all of the attention, but the monomachine just didn't grab me much after the first couple months so it got neglected. as is typical with Elektron gear, you really have to put the time in and explore all of the options before the machine reveals what it's really capable of.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahh that sounds great, I didn't think of using it solely as an effect unit. I really should start working with it more often, perhaps when I move house in a few weeks I can get it set up nicely for regular jamz.

I wish I could find a place where I could actually demo this. The lack of proper synth shops here is really depressing :sad:

Moving to Ohio soon, though. Hopefully i'll have better luck there.

I wish I could find a place where I could actually demo this. The lack of proper synth shops here is really depressing :sad:

tell me about it! i've watched every single elektron related video on youtube, heard every single demo clip... 2000 euros for what? i'm still not sure! the only thing left is to read the manuals, what i'm doing now.

but what made me want to buy MDuw and MnM in the first place are untilted, quaristice, ae lives from 2005 and 2008.

• 4 weeks later...

went to the local synth shoppe to noodle around on the mnm today but somehow they don't even have the demo unit anymore *shrugs*

still no restocks! :catrage:

cmon elektron. can't wait nomo

i contacted a us retailer that their website says they deal direct w/elektron and they said they'd have restock mid may and i have been guaranteed one for then. here's the retailer and listing: http://vintageking.com/elektron-monomachine-sfx60-mkii

still no restocks! :catrage:

cmon elektron. can't wait nomo

i contacted a us retailer that their website says they deal direct w/elektron and they said they'd have restock mid may and i have been guaranteed one for then. here's the retailer and listing: http://vintageking.com/elektron-monomachine-sfx60-mkii

as i live in eu i could buy md from thomann but i'm planing to buy md and mnm directly from elektron. based on what you say i guess i'd have to wait for at least 20 more days for the restock. :(

Planning a trip up north in a few, weeks I suppose, IDK for sure how it's all going to unfold.

But a dream I do have is going to this shop there and maybe walking out with something from Electron.

http://controlvoltage.net

Looks so awesome! really excited to be back in PDX.

Can anyone break down the main differences between all the gear, machinedrum, momomachine, analog4

just a little basic info about the differences, just want a better idea of what they really do, what would be the most unique value.

All you Monomachine non-users go appreciate somewhere else. :p

:( but...but...

i've read the manual and i've been making music with mnm for about ten day now, in my head, of course. but as i see i'll have to edit a lot!

edit:

also, one trig button of my imaginery mnm is broken so yesterday i've sent it back for repair and i have to wait for at least 2 weeks for return. meanwhile i could imagine another mnm but not sure if i'd break some virtual law of intraimaginary causality. and what if i'd have to send another machine for reapir too? those 2 week would then be 10 months, right? similar time-stretching like that of the second level of dreaming in nolan's inception, right? not sure any more...

Guest Chesney

Astro tarot, pretty sure I and maybe others have listed the differences between the machines in one of these threads. There must be a few elektron based threads on the past few pages. Have a gander.

Can anyone break down the main differences between all the gear, machinedrum, momomachine, analog4

just a little basic info about the differences, just want a better idea of what they really do, what would be the most unique value.

In brief:

Machinedrum - drum machine with drum synthesis.

Machinedrum UW - same but with sampling.

Monomachine - 6 monophonic tracks with digital machines which do sine, noise, subtractive, FM, formant, digital waves, drum samples.

Analog 4 - 4 tracks of analog subtractive synthesis and (I think with the new OS update) some FM synthesis.

I dunno... I feel like the Monomachine is like the unwanted child in the Elektron family. I remember one of the Elektron guys giving me "good luck" for using the Mono live. Really odd :shrug:

I dunno... I feel like the Monomachine is like the unwanted child in the Elektron family. I remember one of the Elektron guys giving me "good luck" for using the Mono live. Really odd :shrug:

It's odd, I remember Cenk being kind of a sarcastic cunt to this guy who said that the Octatrack was difficult to use, but whenever anyone complains about the Monomachine, Elektron kind of ignores it.

I think they are just trying to upsell the more recent machines. There's not much they can do to improve the MnM or MD because the firmware's apparently stuffed to the gills already. Naturally the things that are still in development are more interesting to them, and they probably make more money off them too, especially with the recent price drops.

I wonder if they'll ever make the MnM/MD firmware open source. It'd be amazing if it were possible to do things like replace the digipro samples, or even just fix the bugs..

Archived