IGNORED

Monomachine User Appreciation

futureimage

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK so I guess this has officially started?

And do we have an official deadline?

I have officially plugged in my Monomachine.

I hope so. As for the dead line... Shall we say 1th of may? Of 15th?

I can master too (that's what I usually do regularly anyway).

So youll be our mastering guy? Goody goody

Yes, if everyone is fine with that.

Shoud ppl send unmastered tracks directly to you then?

Guest Chesney

Nah, been busy with the matrixbrute ha. Good thing about doing an Elektron machine comp is that I can do it any night anywhere so next few night when missus watches crap on TV i'll experiment on the MnM.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! Sorry for the late reply.

hey! great, great! now, wouldn't it be easier you to make a separate thread about this than me with pointing at you ...or? 

as for the deadline, shall we say the 1st of june? 

hey! great, great! now, wouldn't it be easier you to make a separate thread about this than me with pointing at you ...or? 

as for the deadline, shall we say the 1st of june? 

Yes!

What's the best substitute for the simple interface / hyper digital capabilities of the mnm?

For example, that sample on the octatrack default sounds called MNM Chord. That's a sound you couldn't make with subtractive or maybe even fm. What's the simplest route to those sounds besides mnm?

so is the deadline 6/1 or 5/15? the dedicated comp thread i think says 5/15

I'm saying May 15th since that was one of the first dates suggested.

What's the best substitute for the simple interface / hyper digital capabilities of the mnm?

For example, that sample on the octatrack default sounds called MNM Chord. That's a sound you couldn't make with subtractive or maybe even fm. What's the simplest route to those sounds besides mnm?

Can you upload that sample? I either deleted it or my (used) OT didn't come with it.

hmm, sounds like it could be the wavetable machine.. it does have quite a unique sound but I haven't played with many wavetable synths so I don't know for sure if it's a specific monomachine sound. Perhaps the combination of wavetable + digital filter makes it unique? Blofeld might come close..

Guest Chesney

does not sound that quirky. The waveform is filtered and hidden well because of the noise and your mind is taken away from it by the 2 oscs pitched differently. Sounds like a filtered square or could be a sid square because it sounds more brittle which would make sense why it's named mnm chord. Negative env of the filter with hp or maybe bandpass to give that noise it's sweep so it sounds more part of the sound rather than just noise over the top.

It might have helped if you gave us more than a split second stab, maybe a couple of bars of melody ;)

Def has it's digi character so not many synths could get it exactly but most synths with 2 oscs with noise and multimode filter could get the idea.

Waldorf's would do it fine.

does not sound that quirky. The waveform is filtered and hidden well because of the noise and your mind is taken away from it by the 2 oscs pitched differently. Sounds like a filtered square or could be a sid square because it sounds more brittle which would make sense why it's named mnm chord. Negative env of the filter with hp or maybe bandpass to give that noise it's sweep so it sounds more part of the sound rather than just noise over the top.

It might have helped if you gave us more than a split second stab, maybe a couple of bars of melody ;)

Def has it's digi character so not many synths could get it exactly but most synths with 2 oscs with noise and multimode filter could get the idea.

Waldorf's would do it fine.

there's nothing more to give, it's just that sample, but it's definitely more than 2 osc.

i slowed it down, it's actually an inverted 9th chord, the inversion where you play a minor triad but add the 2 as well

seems to be making extensive use of the base width filter with the envelope on both. also the noise as you mentioned, but there's also a flange happening, so it maybe uses an effect machine as well. my guess is the digi ensemble (yeah modey) with one of the noisier wave tables loaded in. a wave table sweep could also account for the flange sound.

but yeah, the blofeld seems like the best choice. i almost bought one a while ago but i read the build quality is bad and i'm worried about a knob going out.

Guest Chesney

Yeah, I didn't account for the chord played, should have mentioned that can only be done on a poly.

Could be right about the flange but I kinda just thought that was the filter res sweeping and messing with the noise. Or could be slight scan of the wave.

Blofelds are really underated for what they can do. but yeah, the knobs are shite. I have done mods on my keyboard version and replaced a knob on my desktop version. Great synth but quite a few downsides.

Archived