IGNORED

Monomachine User Appreciation

futureimage

sorry just had to post this little snippit I'm working on

http://0f.digital/audio/fr05_T7.mp3

just monomachine + alesis midiverb

recent achievements:
- fake sidechaining (reverb channel being ducked by bassdrum)
- using sample + hold LFOs to vary each note in a pseudo-generative manner (works really well with FM!)

- melodic percussion (again, FM is so good for this)

i like this

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks m8!

Also another thing I discovered recently is using the arp feature to hack triplets/micro-timing. I'd been using it for a while to make quintuplet arpeggios and such but using it on kicks is a good way to get that autechre style algorithmic trigger thing going on. When used with the SID mode and turning all keytracking off it's easy to alternate between the straight and arped kicks if you alternate between single notes and two-note chords.

Having this synchronised with a similar arp on the input channel—which in my case is the return from my midiverb—where each note triggers a single shot LFO tied to the AMP->VOL parameter can give that Autechre blown out sidechained reverb that they've been crazy about since Exai. I never even thought about sidechaining reverb but it really does allow the drums to punch while still retaining atmosphere.. and it also means that when the kick pattern is more dense/fast the reverb gets dialed back significantly so you can really control the atmosphere using the drums alone. I'm hoping to use this kind of thing in future live sets.

I'm still a bit wonky on transitions between different patterns for live use, since with my nanoloop setup it allows each channel to run patterns from different banks, at different speeds and lengths, so using the mnm is a bit of a limitation in that regard, but I'm getting there.

anyway, in case it's not obvious I'm finally getting excited to play with the monomachine again :D might have to start making some mnm videos soon.

Yeah song mode sounds interesting in that regard, being able to chop patterns up, but it requires so much planning. Plus I can't take one track from a pattern and use it with another pattern without copying/pasting..

That sucks dude. At least you didn't have tons of work already in it...plus the online Elektron community is pretty active, maybe seeking out help from some of the gurus at Elektronauts could lead to a solution.

Can I ask how you're recording audio constantly? This is something I've been considering implementing myself now that I'm working with a bit more hardware and doing some jamming, I'm curious to how easy this option would be for me to have as part of my setup.

I use Reaper and just record the stereo mix. It's perhaps not the most elegant solution but it's all there right away to edit down rather than having to fuck around with dumping an external recorder's data to the computer.

I'm considering upgrading to an audio device that can record each mnm channel to a separate track, but I do a lot of processing and routing of tracks within the mnm itself so it probably wouldn't be the same..

Unfortunately, there are no photos online of what the component side of the CPU board looks like, but from the limited research I could carry out, it looks like all the chips are in QFP packages, not BGA. The former allows me to resolder/reflow the joints, the latter would not. So, I'm hoping I can so a quick reflow of everything (with a shitload of flux) and the joints will be OK. I feel fairly comfortable doing this as I used to do this as a dayjob, and in plenty of ways still do. All my fingers are firmly crossed.

Will report back. I'd rather not send this thing back - I think the problems Elektron may be having are sourcing the SRAM chips for this very CPU board. If the Mk2s use the same chips as the Mk1 for the DSP RAM, it looks like they're pretty difficult to source now.

oh damn, good luck! Hope you get it fixed. I'm so bad with a soldering iron, I couldn't imagine reflowing precision gear like this.

First of all, glad that you got your MNM fixed futureimage! :music:

Modey, that's not as intriguing of an answer as I was hoping for...lol. But it works so who cares, right?! I've done the same where I just use Audacity to record everything for a bit (never done more than like 20-30 minutes at a time, but I imagine larger times could run into issues), but that only works for me for software or hardware...now that I'm regularly using both, I'm considering a separate recording solution. I've still got a working minidisc recorder, and on low quality settings this can record hours at a time, so that's an option, but the MD is old and has been twitchy the past few years. Was considering getting a dedicated multichannel MD mixer/recorder, but I'd have issues with hunting down a unit (they exist, they're just not always up on eBay for reasonable prices) and of course a big supply of MDs, as I've only got about 20-30 blanks. Wondering if DAT is a viable option, but at that price I wonder why not just dedicate a small desktop computer to just recording duties?

I dunno, mostly thinking out loud here. This isn't a pressing need for me, but certainly something I'm looking at solving over the next year or so. Back to wonderful MNM talk :)

I'll bite... I'm using a Zoom H1 when I record hardware and I'm pretty happy with it. It's basically like your MD recorder with 1/8" in & out, but its physical medium is micro SD cards, and it works as a regular USB drive when you want to pull your files off it. I use its 24-bit setting and record a little quiet to avoid clipping, then normalize without risk of data loss. I got mine new for $99 but they're pretty old now so I imagine it'd be easy to find a used one for much cheaper. It also has a built in stereo mic which is fun for field recordings. It's a nice thing to have around.

I would prefer to record straight into my laptop but I've been having issues with that... the H1 actually produces much higher quality recordings.

I echo modey's sentiment that it makes little sense particularly in the case of the Monomachine to record multiple tracks at a time. One of its great strengths is the internal routing and that's best captured in simple stereo.

Guest Chesney

I agree that capturing elektrons stereo outs is way better for the feel and timbre of the final result. Obviously it's way more limited in the long run so you have to be happy with your mix before it leaves for the recording but, I kinda like that, makes you jam with more balls and try ideas just so you get a good selection of usable bits to make a good varied track and makes you work with what you have when you have recorded it and makes you think more creatively.

I'll bite... I'm using a Zoom H1 when I record hardware and I'm pretty happy with it. It's basically like your MD recorder with 1/8" in & out, but its physical medium is micro SD cards, and it works as a regular USB drive when you want to pull your files off it. I use its 24-bit setting and record a little quiet to avoid clipping, then normalize without risk of data loss. I got mine new for $99 but they're pretty old now so I imagine it'd be easy to find a used one for much cheaper. It also has a built in stereo mic which is fun for field recordings. It's a nice thing to have around.

I would prefer to record straight into my laptop but I've been having issues with that... the H1 actually produces much higher quality recordings.

I echo modey's sentiment that it makes little sense particularly in the case of the Monomachine to record multiple tracks at a time. One of its great strengths is the internal routing and that's best captured in simple stereo.

I've considered the Zoom H line, heard good things but hadn't really considered the smaller/cheaper options. Seems I was wrong to exclude them, something like that might be just the solution that I need. Will definitely look into the H1, thanks sweeps :beer:

If we sharing snippets, get some of this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGmcfxBzBAR/?taken-by=finlayshakespeare

The Machinedrum's integration with the modular is blowing me away BTW. A decent MIDI->CV converter + sending separate trigs from the RAM machines is just giving me all kinds of vibeyMEGA VIBESvibey

here's the latest (from elektron to my usa retailer and forwarded on to me):

I understand exactly how you must be feeling, truly.

Having no information for a customer is very stressful. The machines have begun to ship from the Swedish factory after some serious production issues. There are so many backorders to fulfill and the shipments going out all over the world are very small.

Things like Analog series and Octatrack are in constant production and shipping so that's a different story.

As SOON as I know that I will have units coming in to fulfill your PO, I will let you know.
AND i decided to check on the status of my nanoloop 2 shipment and found that it hadn't reached usps yet. when i checked the deutsch post link it stated that it had been handed off to local shipping partners for delivery in AUSTRALIA!
MOOOOOOOOOOOOODEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

AND i decided to check on the status of my nanoloop 2 shipment and found that it hadn't reached usps yet. when i checked the deutsch post link it stated that it had been handed off to local shipping partners for delivery in AUSTRALIA!

MOOOOOOOOOOOOODEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

ooh, I wouldn't mind a 4th nanoloop cart :D

Re: the monomachine though, that sounds like exactly what I was going through last year. Many emails and phonecalls, with the distributor stalling me each time. Pretty much the same excuse too (manufacturing problems or waiting on some vital component). Constant promises of "the end of the week" or "any day now" until I actually got the call from the store saying that it had arrived.

MD and MnM are being discontinued. As a lot of people speculated when they went on sale back in the winter. Weird that Elektron denied it back then.

Goodbye Machinedrum and Monomachine

The original Machinedrum was introduced in 2001. The Monomachine in 2003. During the years both machines saw updates, both hardware and software, refining the already from the beginning very robust and truly unique sounding combo. Crispy, weird and gritty Machinedrum beats and Monomachine soundscapes are instantly recognizable. They have soul.

But all good things must come to an end.

Now, fifteen years after the Machinedrum first saw the light of day, the last batch of these soon-to-be legendary machines has arrived. They will remain on sale in the Elektron webshop for a week. Then they are gone forever. So if you want to secure a piece of future electronic instrument history, act fast.

Thank you Machinedrum and Monomachine. You will always have a very special place in the Elektron heart.

The last Machinedrum and Monomachine units can be bought from the Elektron website until Jun 21. Please note delivery times range between 1-4 weeks.

discontinued?! now i'm a affraid to buy them! but they've said they don't have replacements in plan. hmmmm

i have my trigger on the last step on paypal page. yay or nay? shit!

what if they releace new digital machines soon?!!!!! mamaaa

Yeah just get them, they're so good. Really quite saddened that Elektron have decided to cull them. I'm hoping they replace them with digital machines which are just as good, otherwise this is super lame on their part to be quite honest.

Guest Chesney

I'd like a machinedrum replacement with all the good features of the rytm but not the silly menu and tiny screen

I'd like a machinedrum replacement with all the good features of the rytm but not the silly menu and tiny screen

This. Machinedrum DSP + Rytm analogue filter and drive section + Rytm sequencer = GO.

Yeah, I hope they bring out a new digital machine. The analog stuff they have out at the moment is nice but I want digital sharpness/weirdness!

Archived