IGNORED

Monomachine User Appreciation

futureimage

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice electro vibes!

thnx! im trying to figure it out what (else) can i do with just the monomachine, synthetically and compositionally 

p.s. oh it's electro? i really didn't know where to put it

Nice electro vibes!

thnx! im trying to figure it out what (else) can i do with just the monomachine, synthetically and compositionally 

Is that the MnM reverb as well? If so, I haven't been able to have it sound that lush! I've grown to like the reverb on it for the parameter lock tricks that you can do with it to get some non-verb-like fx. But for Lexicon-like lushness I found it lacking unless I'm missing something.

This is all MnM as well:

I didn't really like the bbox sounds when I first tried them, but I really grew to love them with LFO and p-pock shenanigans!

Nice electro vibes!

Is that the MnM reverb as well? If so, I haven't been able to have it sound that lush! I've grown to like the reverb on it for the parameter lock tricks that you can do with it to get some non-verb-like fx. But for Lexicon-like lushness I found it lacking unless I'm missing something.

This is all MnM as well:

I didn't really like the bbox sounds when I first tried them, but I really grew to love them with LFO and p-pock shenanigans!

very interesting track! it's always fun to hear how versatile the mnm is

my track was mixed in daw, separate channels mixing and the reverb (and other fx) is iirc completely a vst

regarding the bbox sounds... i really like them and tend to use them a lot, usually letting them be as they are

Ah yes, that's the smart way of mixing! Actually having options! :)

I've let go of having to control everything and decided to create tracks in 2 or 3 hours to bounce them to stereo on a laptop. It's too stressful thinking about if things are mixed or composed correctly when I want to treat it like I was a 90 year old tending to a small garden for pleasure and peace. Always trying to discover new things with the MnM, it's really great. Best piece of gear I've ever bought.

I've let go of having to control everything and decided to create tracks in 2 or 3 hours to bounce them to stereo on a laptop. It's too stressful thinking about if things are mixed or composed correctly when I want to treat it like I was a 90 year old tending to a small garden for pleasure and peace. Always trying to discover new things with the MnM, it's really great. Best piece of gear I've ever bought.

Lovely.

I've let go of having to control everything and decided to create tracks in 2 or 3 hours to bounce them to stereo on a laptop. It's too stressful thinking about if things are mixed or composed correctly when I want to treat it like I was a 90 year old tending to a small garden for pleasure and peace.

Yeah I'm heading in this direction as well. Jam, record stereo mix, edit (sometimes heavily), master lightly, release. I don't mind if nobody listens because the process itself gives me satisfaction.

I'm glad I held on to the Monomachine btw; in a way, I have a love/hate relationship with it, in that sometimes I'm able to smash out super awesome sound design quickly, but other times I'll be digging at it for hours with nothing good coming out. That said though, it's been great to finally pair it with the Octatrack, even if only to get some different effects happening.

I've let go of having to control everything and decided to create tracks in 2 or 3 hours to bounce them to stereo on a laptop. It's too stressful thinking about if things are mixed or composed correctly when I want to treat it like I was a 90 year old tending to a small garden for pleasure and peace.

Yeah I'm heading in this direction as well. Jam, record stereo mix, edit (sometimes heavily), master lightly, release. I don't mind if nobody listens because the process itself gives me satisfaction.

I'm glad I held on to the Monomachine btw; in a way, I have a love/hate relationship with it, in that sometimes I'm able to smash out super awesome sound design quickly, but other times I'll be digging at it for hours with nothing good coming out. That said though, it's been great to finally pair it with the Octatrack, even if only to get some different effects happening.

I view that as time worthwhile in discovering things. There shouldn't be any pressure in creating good art since, for the most part, no one's listening. It can't always be hair raising fun every time we sit in front of the machines, so an amount of discipline is rewarding in its own way because there's still measurable progress. And sometimes you discover the shit tracks you recorded years ago and fall in love with them.

I have a similar relationship with the MnM, modey. It's like there's an invisible hump I have to get over before things start lining up and sounding good. How long it takes me to find it seems to be proportionate to how long it's been since I used it, like it has to "charge".

sometimes you discover the shit tracks you recorded years ago and fall in love with them.

Yes!

Ah yeah true. I need to spend more time just fucking around with no goal.. but still recording in case something good comes out :P

Regarding revisiting shit tracks and suddenly loving them, it's funny how that happens isn't it? I recently discovered a ton of effortless noise/avantgarde/shitcore stuff I recorded with friends 10+ years ago, and while it's still not great, it was an interesting time in my musical development and worth a listen for me at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Jealous of all you fucks and your monomachines.

I had a preorder for one back in 2016 when they went on sale. I waited months and months and sweetwater kept saying they didn’t know when the orders would be filled. After they were sold out on the elektron site I gave up hope and canceled my preorder in anger. Couple months later the sweet water orders started going thru.

Seriously so sad I don’t have one. I have read the manual like 10 times and always saw myself having one. Now I know I probably never will :(

My Digitone died, so between getting the Autechre sysex files and having a gig to prepare for this Friday, I've been pushed to use the Monomachine again.. glad I did; I'm getting it into even weirder territory than before.. this is a snippit of the first track from my set, OT+MnM:

I'm starting to experiment more with atonality/polytonality, it's exciting.

My Digitone died, so between getting the Autechre sysex files and having a gig to prepare for this Friday, I've been pushed to use the Monomachine again.. glad I did; I'm getting it into even weirder territory than before.. this is a snippit of the first track from my set, OT+MnM:

https://soundcloud.com/0f-digital/0f23rdb

I'm starting to experiment more with atonality/polytonality, it's exciting.

This is slightly arousing. Drums aren’t doing much for me but the rest is pretty nuts and very enjoyable.

damn Modey, what happened to your Digitone ??

CPU died, apparently. Audio clock error; the sequencer stopped mid-jam and wouldn't restart, and it stopped making sound at all. Gotta send it back to Sweden, which sucks because I actually visited the Elektron offices there two weeks ago!

It's great, but it's a very different machine to the Monomachine. The approach to synthesis is different even to the Monomachine's FM machines; it's more about creating an interesting sound to begin with, rather than shaping something with effects and filters.. which is definitely a valid and awesome approach. The sounds are very lush and expressive. When I get it back I'm keen to pair it with the Monomachine to see how they play together.

I was also about halfway through making a big soundpack for it; somehow I've been making more sounds than actual tracks with it. Luckily it let me do a sysex dump. I'll be selling that soundpack in some form when it's done.

damn Modey, what happened to your Digitone ??

CPU died, apparently. Audio clock error; the sequencer stopped mid-jam and wouldn't restart, and it stopped making sound at all. Gotta send it back to Sweden, which sucks because I actually visited the Elektron offices there two weeks ago!

sorry to hear that. elektron quality control ain't what it used to be.

I don't mind so much. I've got tons of other toys to play with in the meantime (OP-Z!!), and it's been a blessing in disguise to get me back into making stuff with the Monomachine.

Mannn. That’s why I sold the digitakt. It just felt risky to hold onto it. 

Hmm, I don't think that's fair really. They have 3 years warranty; I'm pretty sure any flaws in CPU manufacturing (if that's what it is here) will have been figured out by the end of the warranty period.

Archived