IGNORED

What's with black metal ?

YEK

Guest mafted

"As a frustrated and troubled youth, the metal community gave me a place to fit in.

Most of the worst subcultures in the world (gangs, cults, internet forums) thrive on accepting the lowest members of the social food chain. The fact that you were insufferable to anyone but metalheads doesn’t mean that there’s anything good about metal, it just means that dweebs tolerate other dweebs out of necessity."

fucking lol

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dese manz hatin
are the bands really as hardcore as some of the imagery they put out or is it kind of tongue and cheek?

I don't know. What I can say is, I'm really sorry, but it's true, the most braindead people in our A-level class (don't know the right term, here it's "Abitur", classes 11-13) were Heavy Metal fans. :trashbear:

Maybe heavy metal is their way to handle their gayness.

yeah...on the other hand many of the most intelligent people...or well those with the best grades at least (i.e. probably the worst lives) also used to be metalheads.

what a disease

There may be some lulzy aspects to BM, but it's quickly becoming my fave subgenre of metal.

Guest aeser

BUT! there are some true gems. for instance, Panopticon is from kentucky :)

i have yet to hear a single black metal band from the states that can hold a candle to the original early darkthrone/burzum/emperor/etc. since it got huge people centered on the bullshit aspects of it and it lost all it's meaning.

sure, the 99% scene is ridiculous and gimmicky. but a few outstanding acts come from the american west-coast.

the way i see the current situation is, scandinavian bands just can't get over the second/third wave values and aesthetic.

USA/france/slavic countries is where it's at atm.

my point is that where it's at atm and has been since around 1993 is dead. it's a dead scene and people keep skullfucking it's corpse to emulate what made it cool in the first place. it was a time and place and it's been done a long time now. like punk or anything else that really needs to just stop, you can keep emulating the people who were actually involved in it but unless you get a time machine and magically become a norweigan in the late 80's/early 90's you're just going to be emulating it, or creating your own new thing which has nothing to do with black metal.

Guest aeser

"As a frustrated and troubled youth, the metal community gave me a place to fit in.

Most of the worst subcultures in the world (gangs, cults, internet forums) thrive on accepting the lowest members of the social food chain. The fact that you were insufferable to anyone but metalheads doesn’t mean that there’s anything good about metal, it just means that dweebs tolerate other dweebs out of necessity."

fucking lol

people who bash metal understanding nothing about it like this are more boring and ignorant than the "i like everything but country and rap" dullards. like what you like, hate what you hate, it's only valid to yourself but discounting entire huge genre's of music dating back some 40 years now only does yourself a disservice. you're not ruining metal for anyone who sees the validity in it.

Hi guys I'm new to Metal, can you tell me which album to use best to rebel against my parents? Also, I couldn't find skull bits to make myself a necklace out of, but I got these old corks from the drawer upstairs and they look a bit like knee caps, will that be okay too?

i have yet to hear a single black metal band from the states that can hold a candle to the original early darkthrone/burzum/emperor/etc. since it got huge people centered on the bullshit aspects of it and it lost all it's meaning.

my point is that where it's at atm and has been since around 1993 is dead. it's a dead scene and people keep skullfucking it's corpse to emulate what made it cool in the first place. it was a time and place and it's been done a long time now. like punk or anything else that really needs to just stop, you can keep emulating the people who were actually involved in it but unless you get a time machine and magically become a norweigan in the late 80's/early 90's you're just going to be emulating it, or creating your own new thing which has nothing to do with black metal.

well what kind of bands exactly are you talking about? can you list some current bands that you think are stuck in 1993? i don't want to argue about those, but if it turns out we disagree - at least we'll know what we're talking about.

and when you say "that can hold a candle to the original early darkthrone/burzum/emperor/etc."... surely you don't mean that they should sound similar - cause that's exactly what we don't want, right?

Guest aeser

well what kind of bands exactly are you talking about? can you list some current bands that you think are stuck in 1993? i don't want to argue about those, but if it turns out we disagree - at least we'll know what we're talking about.

i just meant the vast majority of bands calling themselves "black metal" in 2010 fall into 2 catagories, ultra slick high production value (much of which has more in common with modern death metal than original black metal), which had nothing to do with the original ideals/goals/sound/culture of black metal, or bands who emulate the initial "kvlt" raw black metal sound of darkthrone/burzum/etc., but are still just cheap facsimiles of the originals. there are countless examples of this, one i will throw out to illustrate this idea is xasthur, a 1 man american (californian) kid who emulates burzum so hard he should be sending him royalty checks.

and when you say "that can hold a candle to the original early darkthrone/burzum/emperor/etc."... surely you don't mean that they should sound similar - cause that's exactly what we don't want, right?

my point is for example, darkthrone do not sound like burzum who do not sound like emperor who do not sound like mayhem, etc. yet they ALL sounded very much "black metal", and contributed in their own way. it was it's own thing in a time and place that is long gone. what it is replaced with is huge international worship of "black metal" which makes it so A: the earlier bands that are still around are largely "sold out" as in have nothing to do with the original black metal sound or vibe or ideals but rather are appeasing a market demand for a product that can be sold as "black metal"., or newer bands more inspired by the slick overproduced gloss metal bands of the mid to late 90's scandinavia than the originators, or people doing full on emulation of the original raw bands. i don't see it being possible for there to be authentic black metal made in 2010, to make new original sounding music which would be considered actual "black metal" and not just something new which should stand on it's own.

it's like punk or anything else, you can look at shit like discharge and the ramones even through stuff like black flag and the descendents and minor threat, and then look around in 2010 and what do we have? bands who were INSPIRED by shit like the offspring and blink 182, it's so far removed it has literally nothing to do with the original scene whatsoever so why do people call it punk when it doesn't sound like or represent anything that made "punk" what it was?

it's like, old gothic architecture in europe is impressive looking and i am a big fan of it, however they can in fact build some new building in a gothic style in say, orlando florida, they can follow the plans and styles, but it's not the same thing for many reasons.

i just meant the vast majority of bands calling themselves "black metal" in 2010 fall into 2 catagories, ultra slick high production value (much of which has more in common with modern death metal than original black metal), which had nothing to do with the original ideals/goals/sound/culture of black metal, or bands who emulate the initial "kvlt" raw black metal sound of darkthrone/burzum/etc., but are still just cheap facsimiles of the originals. there are countless examples of this, one i will throw out to illustrate this idea is xasthur, a 1 man american (californian) kid who emulates burzum so hard he should be sending him royalty checks.

my point is for example, darkthrone do not sound like burzum who do not sound like emperor who do not sound like mayhem, etc. yet they ALL sounded very much "black metal", and contributed in their own way. it was it's own thing in a time and place that is long gone. what it is replaced with is huge international worship of "black metal" which makes it so A: the earlier bands that are still around are largely "sold out" as in have nothing to do with the original black metal sound or vibe or ideals but rather are appeasing a market demand for a product that can be sold as "black metal"., or newer bands more inspired by the slick overproduced gloss metal bands of the mid to late 90's scandinavia than the originators, or people doing full on emulation of the original raw bands. i don't see it being possible for there to be authentic black metal made in 2010, to make new original sounding music which would be considered actual "black metal" and not just something new which should stand on it's own.

it's like punk or anything else, you can look at shit like discharge and the ramones even through stuff like black flag and the descendents and minor threat, and then look around in 2010 and what do we have? bands who were INSPIRED by shit like the offspring and blink 182, it's so far removed it has literally nothing to do with the original scene whatsoever so why do people call it punk when it doesn't sound like or represent anything that made "punk" what it was?

it's like, old gothic architecture in europe is impressive looking and i am a big fan of it, however they can in fact build some new building in a gothic style in say, orlando florida, they can follow the plans and styles, but it's not the same thing for many reasons.

more than anything it seems that it's you that's having difficulties accepting new approaches, new sounds and new bands. what makes the first-wavers "black metal"? as you said, they don't have THAT much in common. they were all part of a certain movement, a zeitgeist in that context if you will. then it all snowballed into a world trend. we both agree that the only way out of this is a way forward. or do you think there's no future for black metal?

it's 2010. bands playing what is now called "black metal" all take some ingredients from those times, from that scene. but a few new scenes have formed that all have much new to offer, at least to me. i was never trying to get a new "a blaze in the northern sky" from the new bands. different things. i dig new atmospheric black metal, mainly european. i dig the spiritually engaged black metal from the pacific northwest. i dig modern funeral doom/black.

are you sure you gave it all enough chance? i really don't agree that the vast majority are either ultra slick, or kvlt raw, i think that's a rushed categorization.

if you feel like trying some of the american bands i like:

- fauna/fearthainne/echtra

- fell voices

- ash borer

- panopticon

- aldrlag

- threnos

- skagos

- leviathan/lurker of chalice

- clair cassis (ex velvet cacoon)

... and more. or, you can tell me roughly what style/sub-genre you think still stands some chance, and we could find some interesting new stuff.

by the way, i just got an email from kunsthall, the next 4 paysage d'hiver re-releases are due in next two weeks. YAY!!!

by the way, i just got an email from kunsthall, the next 4 paysage d'hiver re-releases are due in next two weeks. YAY!!!

i thought they were already all rereleased on CD... is this on vinyl or something?

only 5 demos have been re-released on CD so far: Die Festung, Schattengang, Kerker, Paysage D'Hiver, Kristall & Isa.

upcoming: Winterkaelte, Nacht, Einsamkeit and Steineiche!

oh, if you're on the US west coast and have a chance of catching one of the Ash Borer tour dates (together with Fell Voices)... then i'll envy you very much.

Aug 1 2010 8:00P

Stab Mountain w/ Fell Voices, TBA Flagstaff, AZ, US

Aug 2 2010 8:00P

The Treehouse w/ Fell Voices Albuquerque, NM

Aug 3 2010 8:00P

The Trainyard w/ Fell Voices, Yazata Las Cruces, NM, US

Aug 4 2010 8:00P

The Broken Neck Austin, TX

Aug 5 2010 8:00P

TBA Houston, TX, US

Aug 6 2010 8:00P

Brock House w/ Fell Voices, THOU Baton Rouge, New Orlean