IGNORED

What's with black metal ?

YEK

is Nadja black metal? I like them/him very much

"drone doom" and lastfm has them tagged with dark ambient as well - but those styles often cross over to ambient black metal

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, me too, although I have trouble taking Striborg seriously, the music is a joke. Leviathan and Xasthur I like a bit more, but it's still a bit pathetic.

In other awesome news, although it's already a year old:

http://youtu.be/nJk9Ul1K_V0

One of the most famous exorcists tries to get the demons out of Mayhem's bassist Necrobutcher. Never thought I would've seen this happen. Pretty fun watch.

Very good conclusion, good documentary overall! I only cringed at Striborg (AGAIN) because of his enormous pretention to be some Norwegian troll in the woods LARP player (the scene with the corpsepaint and he's screaming in a cave with camera's and light's pointed at him, so true and kvlt). Xasthur and Leviathan honestly have something to channel their negativity with and sound more sincere, while that Tasmanian devil is just hollow. I've heard of a Striborg DVD which is just endless footage of very grimmm forests and treees, and biiirds, and leafss! I can't take that seriously anymore. Anyway, I've not heard alot from Striborg so I'm ranting mainly at his image, but if anyone here can show me some favorite Striborg tracks I'd check those out (the things I did hear were terrible).

I'm really looking forward to hearing that new project instead of Xasthur btw, should be interesting being all acoustic.

i mean, it is outwardly funnier having a guy with a goofy aussie accent from tasmania but in reality it's no less ridiculous than any other black metal dudes in that sense. living in relative isolation next to a forest is probably more BM than being a tattoo artist in california...

true but it's also a different take on what BM means to each artist as an outlet

Very good conclusion, good documentary overall! I only cringed at Striborg (AGAIN) because of his enormous pretention to be some Norwegian troll in the woods LARP player (the scene with the corpsepaint and he's screaming in a cave with camera's and light's pointed at him, so true and kvlt). Xasthur and Leviathan honestly have something to channel their negativity with and sound more sincere, while that Tasmanian devil is just hollow. I've heard of a Striborg DVD which is just endless footage of very grimmm forests and treees, and biiirds, and leafss! I can't take that seriously anymore. Anyway, I've not heard alot from Striborg so I'm ranting mainly at his image, but if anyone here can show me some favorite Striborg tracks I'd check those out (the things I did hear were terrible).

I'm really looking forward to hearing that new project instead of Xasthur btw, should be interesting being all acoustic.

I think it helped that I listened to the doc at work - I glanced and giggled at Striborg but whatevs. They've all worn corpsepaint but it seems Striborg is the only one who regularly utilizes it. He admitted to the duality of his life as a BM artist versus his "real life" which includes being a husband and father. The sincerity is there but it's totally a thing he can escape out of and enter into as he wishes. Wrest and Scott on the other hand are noticeably troubled. I didn't connect the dots of the court case against Jef Whitehead, which I had read news blurbs about, until part 2 when I looked him up on google/wikipedia. Quite a fascinating life - pretty obvious what has shaped his music. Scott on the other hand I still find absolutely fascinating. I gained a lot of respect for him. He doesn't act shy or reclusive or mysterious on purpose - you can see him physically react to certain questions with discomfort and uneasiness. He kind of reminds me of Dead of Mayhem, who bandmates always cited as being a quiet, nice person who seemed inescapably intertwined with death and depression. No idea what his backstory is, he seems to spell out his outlook on life pretty clearly, and I look forward to hearing more of his output. I like how straight up he was about listening to poppy music, and I love the part where he smiles as that black cat showed up. He seemed most at ease and even happy at that moment and it completely makes sense: most people suck but animals are either cool as fuck or just want to eat you - no bullshitting from them either way.

thanks for the Striborg recommendation too psn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The web shop is whack, though. Can't checkout.

Minimum order price 13,99eur :/ I know it's dumb but that's probably the reason they're still available. Check the online prices of the previous tape demos and order one quickly.

• 6 years later...

I recommend anyone interested in the music and scene, beyond all the purely wacky and shocking stuff, see if this is showing near you: http://www.blackmetalmovie.com/

link's not working but i guess you're talking about until the light takes us right?

Archived