IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never

Guest Z_B_Z

any fans? decided to check out their album "rifts" after i saw it was number 2 on the wires years best. not bad. like tangerine dream mixed with boards of canada. love the cover art.

333.jpg

some of it sounds a little too much like boc tho

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

definitely a fan. i like his sample-based music best, but i haven't found any of it released in audio form, which fucking sucks! all i know of are a compilation track and his youtube videos.

btw a compilation on his label called "Radio Scenic Glow" is worth checking out

His drone sideproject Infinity Window. I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

infinitywindow.jpg

Oneohtrix Point Never is ok, but ultimately it's someone titting about with the Juno 60 arpeggiator through some guitar pedals. I'm pretty sure I have 4 track tapes of me in 1994 doing just that, along with half a million other people.

Too bad you didn't release them this year, you would have been voted second best album of the year in The Wire.

The Wire end of year list is the aural equivalent of the special olympics.

ultimately it's someone titting about with the Juno 60 arpeggiator through some guitar pedals. I'm pretty sure I have 4 track tapes of me in 1994 doing just that, along with half a million other people.

and i'm pretty sure krautrock droneheads also recorded shit like this in the seventies; what's your point?

ultimately it's someone titting about with the Juno 60 arpeggiator through some guitar pedals. I'm pretty sure I have 4 track tapes of me in 1994 doing just that, along with half a million other people.

and i'm pretty sure krautrock droneheads also recorded shit like this in the seventies; what's your point?

That was my point. That at times it sounds unoriginal and self-indulgent.

ah yeah, not the most original stuff i've heard; that being said, that's actually why his sample-based music is my favorite—i really haven't heard a lot of music like that.

theres nothing wrong with being self indulgent as long as youre making good music. while i agree that his stuff isnt very original, id certainly say that its good music.

the problem with all this stuff (the more abstract hip-nogogic stuff)for me is that it seems to be 95% aesthetic and not much else you know?

i can see how it could be really good, but what i've heard just seems really unambitious and self-indulgent. just an endless stream of c10 cassettes to be listened to once. i can't really see anyone listening to stuff like this in 5 years time. not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it just seems to be way more style then substance than anything else i can really think of.

if it was krautrock, it seems like there's a lot of amon duuls and not many can/clusters etc. really trying to push themselves.

I do agree in general. Still haven't heard this album, but all of the other stuff from these scene is a bit too, shall we say, 'under-composed' for me.

I get similar vibes from Growing when listening to this stuff; not in the actual music as much as the likelihood that they can just churn out ten albums a year if they wanted. That's not a terrible thing, but sometimes the music ends up being...a bit disposable? But again, it depends on the release I guess, and Rifts does indeed compile a lot of good tracks.

so that might be very good ? ( i once saw Growing live & even if i kinda like what i've heard i was surprised how predictable it was : some electronoise drones like fennesz, ambarchi & sunn do for years... )

Archived