IGNORED

Sea Shepherd's stealth boat cut in half by Japanese

chaosmachine

To me there's a degree of logic to it because generally speaking the more intelligent something is, the more capacity it has to suffer. It's like when humans suffer, we usually have this whole baggage attached to it, of feeling sorry for ourselves and that often hurts as much if not more than the actual physical pain.

I think i know what you're talking about though. No animal has any more or less right to be alive than any other animal.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, sorry, stepping on ants whilst walking across the street isn't so bad, but justifying killing something consciously because they are less intelligent seems inherently wrong.

ps fuck the word conscious and fuck spelling it.

Another aspect on why whaling is "bad" is the lack of necessity in killing and eating whales. Whaling used to be for a multitude of products: lamp oil, wax, ivory and bone, baleen (which was used for combs and clothing products until replaced by plastic), ambergris, etc. Now it's a delicacy and nothing more. Its meat is often packed with metal traces and toxins.

Still, there are more brutal practices. Millions of sharks are caught, have fins cut off, and usually thrown back in the ocean to slowly die. Then there is all that Chinese medicine bullshit, including bears that are caged and drained of bile.

Guest EleminoP

there are other reasons whale killing is wrong, sure, but that's just the aspect of it that bothers me the most.

so stupid animals can perish? no biggie?

yeah. i guess it sounds dumb, but that's how i feel about it. i'd feel less bad about killing an ant or lizard than i would about killing a dog or bird.

you're pretty stupid. can i eat you?

What's wrong with killing whales, do we have a deal with them or something? I really don't see the difference between killing a few whales and brazillions of cows or pigs

That's why I don't kill anything to eat.

not to speak shit about ants but lizards can be pretty fucking smart. i don't get your comparison.

fucking staircase wit.

i've never heard of exceptional intelligence in lizards. i'm probably just ignorant though.

i eat meat, so i'm not the best person to advocate not killing animals. however, i think there's a difference between animals that have more developed brains and are probably more able to feel emotion, self-awareness, etc. than animals with more simple brains. does that make sense? i don't think that fish, lizards, and more underdeveloped animals should be killed in whatever way (like eaten alive, yuck)... i'm very much against the conditions in "meat factories" these days. (i don't do much about it though, so i'm a hypocrite, ok, i'll be the first to admit it)

buuuut, it makes me feel a tinge more emotional to hear about a highly intelligent animal being killed, like a whale, because they have some kind of awareness about it and so do the other whales that travel in their pod.

animals consuming other animals for food is a fact of the natural world. there's nothing inherently wrong about it.

but there is something wrong with the way humans currently do it. we don't respect ecology and each animal's rightful place in the world. we don't kill only what we need. we kill a staggering number of animals in shocking ways. and killing them to eat wouldn't be a problem, even in the case of whales, if we didn't also destroy their habitats on such a grand scale.

there's nothing wrong with being a part of the food chain. but we do not compete equitably or sustainably.

animals consuming other animals for food is a fact of the natural world. there's nothing inherently wrong about it.

but there is something wrong with the way humans currently do it. we don't respect ecology and each animal's rightful place in the world. we don't kill only what we need. we kill a staggering number of animals in shocking ways. and killing them to eat wouldn't be a problem, even in the case of whales, if we didn't also destroy their habitats on such a grand scale.

there's nothing wrong with being a part of the food chain. but we do not compete equitably or sustainably.

Go watch Avatar again, you fucking hippie

it sunk

"People die everyday to protect oil wells and real estate and we call them heroes and pin medals on them. I think protecting the diversity of oceans... is a far more noble cause."

I thought that was an interesting quote.

Guest we_kill_soapscum

anyone see Drawing Restraint?

the Nisshin Maru is like the WHOLE movie, and thats the one Sea is trying to fuck with the most.

so weird.

Archived