IGNORED

Teenage Engineering OP-1 - Pocket sized

Brandi_B

the_big_op1.jpg

More info: http://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1/

It's a Controller

OP-1 stands for Operator 1 and is a pocket size controller for your favorite software sequencer. Connect it to your laptop and it lets you control your sequencers transport with the common play, stop, rec, forward and rewind. Use it to control your software synthesizers with the 4 rotary encoders and 16 dedicated quick keys for fast selections.

…and a Synthesizer

When you disconnect the OP-1 from your computer you suddenly have a stand-alone portable wonder-machine with 8 synthesizer models, 8 samplers and effects like Delay, Flutter, Filters and EQ all built in. Use all that synthesizer power to record your work with the truly unique (at present time, secret) sequencer. We promise you a really cool and creative way to record your sounds and tweak them in a completely new way.

A portable wonder!

Use the magic step sequencer/arpeggiator to get the notes right. If that is not enough use the built in motion sensor that sense every shake or move you make and turn it into really cool sounds.

Then relax and sample a beat from the built-in FM radio or memorize a tune by whistle it into the built-in microphone. Play your piece to your friends through the built-in speaker. Or...convert it right away to mp3 and mail it to them.

I think this thing looks nifty. At first I was putt of by the small size and looks. But after reading it seems quite interesting. I don't think any price has been announced, I would hope <$1000. It's in beta right now I guess. It is certainly innovate, imo.

unless they've come up with something very fucking radical with the sequencer then this is a ponce gadget for iPhone/Macbook owners

you can almost get a 2nd hand Monomachnie for what they want and I'll stick with my DS for something portable

< £200 maybe but your mainly paying for that fancy screen imho

Guest abreaktor

unless they've come up with something very fucking radical with the sequencer then this is a ponce gadget for iPhone/Macbook owners

you can almost get a 2nd hand Monomachnie for what they want and I'll stick with my DS for something portable

this

this

Yeah agreed. I wouldn't want to buy THIS product per se. But I would like to see more like it that are cost effective and similar. I think korg could do it well and affordable, but they wouldnt.

Also it's not really pocket sized either. I did the mm to in conversion and its like 11 inches long and honestly a net book sized laptop isn't THAT much bigger. I still think it is neat though.

And also for the price they are likely to charge for this product in particular, people willing to pay that much have much better options in the price range, ie like above a mono machine, etc. lol if it is like 1700 bucks.

NAMM is coming up. This is one of the things buzzing...

Also new product announcements from Dave Smith and Yamaha in the synth department, but I don't have high hopes for yamaha doing anything I would be interested in. But it is supposed to be a "synth". And the DSI thing is supposed to be new and not one of their existing products in a box/rack/kb/hat

synthhat

thsi has been announced for ages... not sure when it will ever be real.

Yeah I saw mention of it a while ago, but if I am correct, it is going to be available for the beta testers this month. I could be wrong though, I need to dig up a HC thread.

Guest Dogboy73

There's a huge buzz around this thing but I'm not really sure where it has materialised from. Everyone seems to be talking about it (this & the newly announced DSI Mopho keyboard). Now that it has been previewed at NAMM the buzz seems to have stepped up a notch. Is it because the company is new & they're trying to make something that looks new? This does kind of look like another musical 'toy' for the Tanori-on, i-phone crowd. I think it has a lot going for it & looks like it would be fun to use. Nothing wrong with that but it remains to be seen is this is going to be something that goes beyond being a new member of the coffee table musical toys club (of which the i-phone, Tenori-on, Kaosillator etc are already members).

Guest Dogboy73

I think it'll go beyond that if they add real midi connections and not just usb.

I don't think it's fat enough to accommodate MIDI ports!

it's gotta have usb midi out and i wouldn't pay more than #399 for it new and would not have the least amount of noise from the audio out like the electribes do.

• 7 months later...

well, the built in FM radio sounds fun. Hipster artfags and budding noise musicians will eat this shit up.

Archived