IGNORED

3D Printer

Tessier Ashpool

From Wired:

Open Source 3-D Printer Turns Designs Into Objects

Added: January 8, 2010

Wired.com checks out MakerBot's Cupcake CNC 3-D Printer. Using PLA, ABS, or HDPE plastic, this open source, $950 kit allows the user to fabricate small objects of virtually any shape.

Crazy. Shit. I wonder what kind of software there is out there - would be so cool to build some crazy, surrealist shit and put it through the printer.

video here

Guest we_kill_soapscum

yea my mom is into design shit and was telling me about these last year. she designs stuff for moma and has to make prototypes and harder core people use these but she makes them out of cardboard and tape.

rep rap are another group doing this. They are onto the 2nd generation now which has basically the same kind of scope as the one in the OP. The idea is that each generation is going to have a wider and wider range of items it can make. It's also self replicating, so you can actually print a new reprap and give it to someone else. It seems pretty obvious that by generation 5 or 6, this thing could make what's happened with MP3's and movies look like a fuss over nothing. I actually think it's a good idea not to talk about it too much because the more it takes the world by surprise the better (like mp3's in other words). That sounds like hype but when you actually think of the implications it's really not.

In theory, it's exactly like a normal printer. There's a file(design) on the computer that the printer understands. Instead of ink, you working with melted plastic and it works from the bottom upwards, layer by layer, and as the plastic cools (dont know how quick) you're left with a solid 3D object. So you create the designs on a bit of software and can pass them round for other people to make. That's where the power is in this and the fact that range of goods you can make on these things is expanding with each new generation.

In theory, it's exactly like a normal printer. There's a file(design) on the computer that the printer understands. Instead of ink, you working with melted plastic and it works from the bottom upwards, layer by layer, and as the plastic cools (dont know how quick) you're left with a solid 3D object. So you create the designs on a bit of software and can pass them round for other people to make. That's where the power is in this and the fact that range of goods you can make on these things is expanding with each new generation.

That's awesome! Seems like everyone involved in these products is very collaborative in spirit - I can imagine this being friggin' huge once the price drops down and the design continues to improve. The sharing of designs among users is a great way to increase the enjoyment/value of something like this.

edit: just took a closer look at the RepRap - damn, so the idea is to make a maker that can make itself? Fucking HOT.

Makes me think of the nano-assemblers in Gibson and the Makers in Transmetropolitan.

*rubs hands*

Now, all we need is the nano-tech and augmented reality for everyone and I can die happy a happy man

yep, i just think of nano assemblers as 15th generation 3d printers. It's the same deal really and it will probably be a nice smooth progression from here to there.

It heats the plastic so it's gooey and sexy and then prints upwards layer by layer. You don't have to glue anything yourself.

Check this vid

http://vimeo.com/5202148

"Accelerating RepRap"

"RepRap doctor blade in operation"

"Stepper Extruder"

"Arduino Line"

"Venturi Vacuum"

"Polymer Valve"

These videos have some pretty idm titles.

• 4 years later...

Bringing back this ancient thread from the gorillionth page to ask: does anyone here have experience with self sourced 3D printers? I wanna build a Prusa i3 this summer but, as it always happens when trying to get into something new, I'm overwhelmed by information

Archived