IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Guest mapittwelve

interestingly i hear no Machinedrum 'midicommand' algorithmic sequenceing either. They jsut put out this external bxoes for the machinedrums that lets you do all these crazy modificatiosn to them one of them being algorithmic beats and melodies. it just came out 1 week ago so id be surprised if they had a chance to even use it yet. are you getting one Futureimage?

Do you have a link to what you're referring to here? I'm curious and can't find anything with a google search.

Thanks!

interestingly i hear no Machinedrum 'midicommand' algorithmic sequenceing either. They jsut put out this external bxoes for the machinedrums that lets you do all these crazy modificatiosn to them one of them being algorithmic beats and melodies. it just came out 1 week ago so id be surprised if they had a chance to even use it yet. are you getting one Futureimage?

Do you have a link to what you're referring to here? I'm curious and can't find anything with a google search.

Thanks!

http://ruinwesen.com/digital

Wesen is a brilliant guy.

Guest mapittwelve

Thanks!

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you! Much appreciated.

No prob. He's been working his tail off the last couple years learning every aspect of hardware development, and he's really come a long way. I'm going to buy one one of these days for sure.

What work? They've copied that tracks from recycle bin.

Quite a few people are actually enjoying oversteps... myself included. But let me understand this... do you also think see on see & ilanders are fake from the radio station promo or do you think those are real - then ae threw together a fake album & included those 2 real songs they just played on it to fool everyone?

Could be their way of giving everyone a preview of material from the album without revealing the whole thing. Then they put out this leak with those two tracks on it, and the rest fake (ie not from the real album), and they did it all on a German radio show to make it seem more underground and hush hush, like someone worked really hard to find this, so it's gotta be real! And everyone goes YAY we has liek and people stop looking, because like they already have it, and then BAM release day OH WTF NEW AUTECHRE!! :emotawesomepm9:

Haha I don't have a clue. Just bored.

What work? They've copied that tracks from recycle bin.

Quite a few people are actually enjoying oversteps... myself included. But let me understand this... do you also think see on see & ilanders are fake from the radio station promo or do you think those are real - then ae threw together a fake album & included those 2 real songs they just played on it to fool everyone?

I think that see on see & ilanders are most probably of all made by Ae and maybe other tracks too but an amount of effort that is put in untilted, draft and quaristice is much much bigger.

I think that only few of this tracks are going to end up on oversteps.

Known 1??? Shit! I hope not!!!

Treale??? Shit! I hope so!!!

Edited by xox

This seems really silly, I think people that are expecting ae to release two albums, one fake and one real, are fooling themselves. Pretty sure this is gonna be the album.

This seems really silly, I think people that are expecting ae to release two albums, one fake and one real, are fooling themselves. Pretty sure this is gonna be the album.

I'm pretty sure too even though I haven't heard it. I was just being silly.

their own fake it's possible, full time musicians of course they're going to have oodles of unreleased material and experiments. bonus material from autechre, i highly doubt it, we can't even get them to release the freekin Quaristice soundboard :rolleyes:

Guest Balance

I hope so, I'd be pretty gutted if it wasn't and I couldn't get it in higher quality.

Ok.... I'm not one to listen to leaks and stuff but I've been having a lot of fun getting caught up in the hype this time so I thought "why not".

Besides, since Draft7.30 came out, I've only been disappointed with everything Autechre have done, and I think I would have been doubly disappointed if I bought anything of theirs now without listening first. I listened to Quaristice in bits before finally buying it quite recently and actually found myself enjoying some of it.

So anyway, here's my initial thoughts:

*It's not that great. It's not bad either but I have a slew of better, similar sounding albums that I got for free from people on this forum or net labels. That said, a lot of that free music I would happily pay money for because I think it's nice to listen sometimes. But I haven't really been into generic IDM for a couple of years now. And that's exactly what this is.

*More melodic... hmmm... that's an interesting way to describe it. I'm not sure this is what I'd call melodies as much as a bunch of unrelated synth sounds bubbling one after the other in rapid succession. This is about as melodic as throwing a bunch of bouncy balls on a keyboard, just taping down some of the notes so it all stays in key.

*I think the album actually works best when there are beats. The melodies aren't anywhere near strong enough to hold their own cos they're just semi random twinkly sounds. However, with a nice rhythm going along with them, they suddenly transform into warm, drone-like atmospheres. Someone mentioned Gridlock, only heard a few of their tracks and I agree with the comparrison, I think that's a good thing.

*It's hard to comment on production and sound design on something so low quality but I can at least comment on some of the really obvious sound choices. Everything between Anvil Vapre and Confield had amazing sound design. The sounds were all earthy... in a mechanical way... if that makes sense... what I mean is that it sounded like the product of some kind of machine, or some kind of robot or in the case of Confield, something completely alien. Even Gantz Graf has a nice girttiness to it that sort of gives it this quality. Then Draft came out and that and everythign afterwards just sounded like a bunch of synths and drum machines to me. This might appeal to some but to me they've lost something. Oversteps seems to take this aesthetic the the extreme, almost in a way that I find a little more easier to swallow... very raw, unpolished synth sounds. They're boring but at the same time really nostalgic. Sometimes I'm in the mood for that.

*Every track on this album SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME. I think I could grow to appreciate the subtle differences (often I have to give pop/rock albums a lot of time to sink in for this reason) but again... variation is something Autechre do so well. Quaristice might have pushed this a bit too far but at least it kept me from getting bored. This album took me 3 sittings to get through, every 20 minutes I got soooo bored!

So yeah... this is only from one listen... I think I want to hear the final thing before I give it any further listens. Overall, it's got a nostalgic feel to it. It actually reminds me more of Incunabula to be honest, cos that album I find terribly boring and samey, I rarely listen to it. But when I do, it feels kinda heart warming... reminds me of when I first started listening to IDM. And so does Oversteps.

interesting review, i agree with most of your points about oversteps

os veix is where it goes down hill for me , so basically i really do like most if not all of the first 7 tracks , its the 2nd half that seems lacking to me, much more sketchish

do you prefer the first or 2nd half of quaristice?

if the first half was an EP i would find it a great AE release, the 2nd half seems to be a lot of filler and where there are beats and melodies they are meandering and undeveloped. There is one track i like towards the end, it's redfall. So in short i much prefer the 1st half

Edited by Awepittance

Guest Fat Roland

lol that would be awesome if Sean booth had a schizophrenic episode and put out a really cheesy plaid ripoff and his other personality was completely unaware of it

Fucking irl lol

Immense chortle! Poor Sean.

It would be nice for everyone if someone could repost links to the leaks because it would take 15 years to dig back into this thread to find 'em.

how in the fuck can anyone who has ever heard draft not think that it is perfect, in terms of sound design? untilted is strangely compressed (i still wish i could hear that album without all that compression) and quaristice sounds like a muddy mess to me in a lot of places, but srsly draft is the most cleanly produced album from ae which is nothing short of an incredible feat when you are familiar with the palette of sounds used on that release.

i was just listening to netlon sentinel, that song sounds really weirdly mastered to me as well. the beat could have been a lot bigger.

I'll be honest I don't think Ae would get one of those, they'd just use Max. Someone's already made a Max For Live patch which replicates the really cool turn-your-MachineDrum-into-a-melodic-synth mode.

Also Rob has been using Live since at least April of last year. Which, now with M4L, would reinforce Max usage.

where did you hear hes using Live? if he has that would explain why i think i hear the Ableton live instruments Tension and Collider on a shit load of these songs.

This is about as melodic as throwing a bunch of bouncy balls on a keyboard, just taping down some of the notes so it all stays in key.

I should do that next time I play a live set. Tape down all the black notes and start and end with a D. Behold, instant dorian! The scale of choice for every budding IDM artist

how in the fuck can anyone who has ever heard draft not think that it is perfect, in terms of sound design?

i kind of agree, it's one of the most impeccably mixed Autechre albums, even though some parts sound small and miniature it's meant to sound that way.

how in the fuck can anyone who has ever heard draft not think that it is perfect, in terms of sound design?

My point too but this release/Oversteps/leak/whatever it is it's not even like a shadow of Draft i terms of s.design or arrangement complexity.

if you guys want to 'recreate' some of those metallac rolling sounds in Krylon

- load up logic audio 8 or above (unfortunately mac only)

- put logic au 'Sculpture' in an AU instrument slot

- load the patch 'Warped - marble in a glass bowl'

- hold key down

Edited by Awepittance

Guest mapittwelve

I'll be honest I don't think Ae would get one of those, they'd just use Max. Someone's already made a Max For Live patch which replicates the really cool turn-your-MachineDrum-into-a-melodic-synth mode.

Also Rob has been using Live since at least April of last year. Which, now with M4L, would reinforce Max usage.

where did you hear hes using Live? if he has that would explain why i think i hear the Ableton live instruments Tension and Collider on a shit load of these songs.

i'm hearing some tension, too. on the leak, i mean. obviously this thread is full of tension. would love to hear the source on Autechre using Ableton.

where can I find M4L patches for MachineDrum? can't believe i've missed the boat on these.