IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Confirmation of the leak makes all the comments about technical simplicity, pre-made tools, etc. even more interesting. A good chunk of the fanbase seem to want Ae records to push the technical envelope above all else - if tracks are made with recognisable tools it's seen as a failure somehow. Since I don't use any of this software, as a listener the album seems almost austere in its rejection of technique, and creates its effects by very conventional means - dissonance, harmony, timbre, rhythm. The fact that it *sounds* so immediately Autechre is brilliant - they are about feel, instinct, sensibility, presence, not software development or hardware hacking. This record seems like a very deliberate statement to that effect - the arms race ends here. Quaristice attempted to break the forms by being casual instead of fanatical, but Oversteps is really quite a formal record. I have a lot of respect for that and I think this will be up there with their peak output.

Best post in this thread..

No way, best post is page 6:

I can't wait til you all find out this is fake for sure, it will be truly hilarious (but also truly sad, too) I wonder how many people will be listening to this fake in 4 months...

Followed by the Norman Records link. Timing was impeccable.

I don't mean to rinse this... but how on earth can people actually like known(1)? When I said it was horrible earlier, I didn't mean it was horrible in a frightening or confusing way. I meant it was horrible and ugly sounding because it is so, so amateurish. Apart from the detuned and stuttered main lead sound, it literally sounds like poorly sequenced MIDI game music (though I prefer most game music to this boring vomit of notes.) If I had a ten year old kid who was mucking about making his first sounds and multilayered pieces with a multitimbral synth - and known(1) was the result, I'd think, 'oh, that's pretty cute, that's pretty interesting...' I wouldn't be like, 'shit, what a weird racket - how the hell did he make that noisy mess?'

I can say this with complete confidence: if a new poster put known(1) and claimed it was his/hers, they'd be shot down, or at least told to work at it a few more years. Autechre are having a laugh with this release. What was I thinking praising it before? Such a cynical, cynical album.

Tremendous LOL. How can someone miss the point so comprehensively? Go and get your coat.

How did I miss the point regarding known(1)? This piece isn't something you can get or not get according to how you listen. I wasn't being analytical with it - it's pretty upfront. It's obviously a joke. Well, ha ha Autechre, you made an obviously dire sounding track.

I agree it was a bit strong calling the whole album cynical. I tried to go back to edit that to SOME of the album being so but it wouldn't let me.

lol@ all the people with eggy faces. This album is definitely one of my favourite autechre releases, might turn out to be my favourite in the end, but you know how it goes... haters be hatin'

Most haters aren't hating because we want to, though. Obviously, Autechre don't owe anyone anything, and I'd want them to always do what the hell they want - but this latest one just seems particularly lazy to me. I'd like nothing more than for the new Ae to totally blow away my expectations, maybe confuse me a little and make me go WTF? but ultimately be a quality product. This isn't quality.

Edited by Lianne

quaristice was lazy and devoid of any real emotion or drive, this is an engaging album. their latest albums have just been a bunch of increasingly uninteresting wankery to me, like the Yngwie Malmsteen of electronic music.

tbh i fail to see the point of you going on about how you not like it.

This is a good point. I think I said I'd stop a few pages back...

Third apology. I was just so looking forward to this - especially as Plaid hasn't done anything in ages, nor Boards of Canada, nor Aphex Twin (Analord, apart from no.10, generally isn't my thing), Schematic are bust, because Squarepusher has descended into drudgery - etc. etc.

I suppose new artists, who aren't so established, is where it's at. They have to fight for survival. I've honestly heard some stunning stuff off netlabels.

Anyway, adios. Enough venting - I promise I'll keep away and allow those that love this new Autechre to do their loving (which I imagine will increase in number now that the leak is most definitely shown to be real.) :)

quaristice was lazy and devoid of any real emotion or drive, this is an engaging album. their latest albums have just been a bunch of increasingly uninteresting wankery to me, like the Yngwie Malmsteen of electronic music.

haters be hatin'

LP5 and EP7 in my mind redefined the way FM synthesis can be used, really pushed it's boundaries

which parts in particular?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7bWakDWqI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuK7NStpULc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN359HOxBx8&feature=related

Edited by Awepittance

quaristice was lazy and devoid of any real emotion or drive,

altibizz ans Simmm are some of the warmest and generally "emotional" ae songs this side of LP5

+notwo

+Paralel Suns

+Outh9x

If Quaristice didn't have these tracks I probably wouldn't have given the rest a chance.

hahaha, I guess I'm a hater. I leave this thread now, I'm happy there's a new autechre album on the way, and that it's one I like. I will buy it and listen to it and have happy thoughts. I will not think too much about these megathreads. bye bye!

ps. I never listened much to quaristice, I never got into it.

Edited by Gocab

quaristice was lazy and devoid of any real emotion or drive,

altibizz ans Simmm are some of the warmest and generally "emotional" ae songs this side of LP5

+notwo

+Paralel Suns

+Outh9x

If Quaristice didn't have these tracks I probably wouldn't have given the rest a chance.

+Perlence[xx]