IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

• 2 months later...

To my own taste, I'd always ranked krYlon as a sort of mid-tier Oversteps track, but on skimming the album today I'm going to promote it.

I'd forgotten just many distinct sections there were and the emotional richness is just overwhelmingly great. There's also a little bit of funk sneaking in towards the end that I'd failed to interpret before, which isn't something that I'd really associate with the album before.

Speaking as someone who tends to place beats at the top of my music diet, I really hope they revisit this kind of territory in the future.

Edited by Panoptic Sweep

To my own taste, I'd always ranked krYlon as a sort of mid-tier Oversteps track, but on skimming the album today I'm going to promote it.

I'd forgotten just many distinct sections there were and the emotional richness is just overwhelmingly great. There's also a little bit of funk sneaking in towards the end that I'd failed to interpret before, which isn't something that I'd really associate with the album before.

Speaking as someone who tends to place beats at the top of my music diet, I really hope they revisit this kind of territory in the future.

I couldn't agree more, this one just continues to open up and grow on me even years later.

It is in the same vein as their other 'meditative' tracks; Pule, keyosc, altibzz. But somehow krYlon has a different dimension, in that it seems to explore deeper into its own world. For me it matches the exploratory qualities of the long-form Untilted tracks but using pure melody.

• 3 months later...

Listened to Oversteps again today. Last time I did was before Exai came out I think.

The only new thing I realized is that Treale as a track name could very well be the words "true" and "real" melded together. Makes sense if that's treale. Ha. Ha.

I don't hate this album anymore but I still hardly ever listen to it - least favorite Ae for sure. I probably like Move of Ten better, especially after Exai & L Event made it click.

When I do listen to it, though, it's all about that stretch from d-sho qub on.

Except krYlon. Fuck that track. That & qplay are seriously just filler.

I don't hate this album anymore but I still hardly ever listen to it - least favorite Ae for sure. I probably like Move of Ten better, especially after Exai & L Event made it click.

When I do listen to it, though, it's all about that stretch from d-sho qub on.

Except krYlon. Fuck that track. That & qplay are seriously just filler.

Man, I love krYlon so much. And qplay. And the whole album basically. :cry:

Man, I love krYlon so much. And qplay. And the whole album basically. :cry:

I wish I understood. I've tried to get them multiple times, and just keep hearing them spewing random notes and trying to make it fit into some semblance of a melody. I mean I know that's what everyone says about Autechre until they really get it but seriously, it is just not gelling. With Oversteps they really pared it down too, mabye that's what I didn't like about it. I like my Autechre convoluted and obscured in clouds of noise.

I could listen the intro of qplay forever !...

First this naive melody, and then this bizarre beat/pattern kicks in.

Real contrast, typical Autechre !

... In Qplay, I like how you can define the melody in its entirety only at 3:43. First it's just suggested with other sounds, a sort of preparation for this step of excruciating joy, on the edge of sadness.

I often read that Oversteps was judged as a "back to basics". I do not think it's correct. The fact that the sounds are not aggressive, does not mean that the musical texture has taken a step back. It took me over a year to grab all the melodic combinations, which at first listen seemed only layers of ambient. From this point of view I found Oversteps most "extreme" than draft7:30, just to give an example.
...What I discovered in Oversteps, is the characteristic of building a musical phrase with distinct sounds ("instruments"), that only time will reveal themselves to be part of the same motif. O=0 and Redfall are the first two songs that come to mind.
And I do not think it's a coincidence that I am not the only one to have recognized the baroque elements on Oversteps, and not just for the harpsichord in Know(1), but, I think, because of the combination of "fugues".
...Have any of you had my own impressions?

Yeah, I thought that might be brought up. Maybe it really is in there, maybe I even hear what you guys are talking about but it just doesn't sound that great to me. I noticed I thought the same of irlite(get 0) from Exai the first couple times I heard it and then I was like oh shiiit.

... I remember vividly the first time I heard irlite (get 0), at first I could not say where, but it was clear to me that somewhere hiding an eruption of magic. Time two days and has become an obsession! Auetechre need time, apparently they are "extended release", such as benzodiazepines!

• 1 month later...
Guest hawaii

... I remember vividly the first time I heard irlite (get 0), at first I could not say where, but it was clear to me that somewhere hiding an eruption of magic. Time two days and has become an obsession! Auetechre need time, apparently they are "extended release", such as benzodiazepines!

which is the link between AE music and benzos? :huh:

which is the link between AE music and benzos? :huh:

well ... the fact that, in order to enjoy the benefits, you have to take them for a long period: like benzos they are "extended release"

Guest hawaii

LOL.

I thought you meant you enjoy ae on benzos more

never done benzos actually, have some etizolam at home tho

Edited by hawaii

LOL.

I thought you meant you enjoy ae on benzos more

never done benzos actually, have some etizolam at home tho

... he! I do not exclude that even your first interpretation is correct: a little 'everything is more enjoyable with the right medicine, even Autechre

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Most emotional album?

Its yanking at my heart these days for some reason......prob as i met this gal, etc......

Oh yeah. After listening to it a lot and getting my head around all these melodies, it's so beautiful--kind of like reading a writing that makes no sense when you read it a few times, and eventually it clicks. The polyphony and buzzy yet lush sound design makes it all the more interesting.