IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

• 5 months later...

Am I trippin' or is there a version of the Oversteps mp3s that had different artwork for each song. I just re-downloaded from bleep, and they are all the same. Does anyone have those original artworks?

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/b9234873eb89f1a3963ffb9181fcbedeb49bc5b1_m.gif

Edited by fletcher

• 4 months later...

I wasn't jazzed on this album when it first came out and regularly would have listed it around the bottom of their discography in terms of preference. I put it on recently and it clicked in a big way. Originally I liked the production sound but didn't think the tunes themselves were that memorable but this time the whole package clicked. Probably the highest jump in estimation I've had with one of their albums. Lush AF.

I wasn't jazzed on this album when it first came out and regularly would have listed it around the bottom of their discography in terms of preference. I put it on recently and it clicked in a big way. Originally I liked the production sound but didn't think the tunes themselves were that memorable but this time the whole package clicked. Probably the highest jump in estimation I've had with one of their albums. Lush AF.

Exactly the same here.

• 1 year later...

Three albums have totally opened up for me since the NTS Sessions were released:;: EP7, Quaristice and Oversteps.

I've been listening to the last half of Oversteps over and over again for the last 36 hours or so, and I just... Can not get enough of it.

Fuck!!! Autechre just keeps getting better and better as the years go by...

=D

This album is at its best during an evening rainstorm. Streetlights glistening off the wet streets. Give it a shot if you haven't already.

• 1 month later...

Goddamn the melodies and sounds in this album are fucking amazing. Heard it a hundred times I'm sure, but fucking hell do they still hit me right in the feels. Qplay? see on see? Ste Epreo? Redfall? FUCKING krYlon?? Just so fucking twisty and sharp and hiding layers within layers, but still with defined leads and variations, them boys really handed out a fucking killer album here. 

• 2 months later...

it's fall y'all

put on Oversteps and get in the mood my babies

unless you're like half the fuckin' forum who's down in Australia in which case I guess set a timer for 6 months from now when this relevant to you :)

• 3 weeks later...

How can u enjoy this if thers poveryt

flol

Oversteps was a weird album for me where, I was initially basking in all the melody and atmosphere, and then for a while I thought it was on the repetitive side compared to previous albums like Draft/Confield. Then I realized I was dumb, and now I solidly enjoy this album and consider it to be aging like fine wine and an especially unique slice of their discography. 

Not seen a lot of praise for it, but I think Yuop is my favorite closing ae track ever.

I don't hate this album like I used to, although it doesn't hit me right in the feels like it does a lot of people. krYlon is the one track I still don't have any use for. The rest of them are decent to good if a bit cringey-corny (d-sho qub is still LOL).

Agree with Yuop being excellent and underrated, although Rsdio and Nuane are hard to beat as closers (not to mention Arch Carrier and netlon sentinel if you'd like to think of them as "alternate endings").

I don't hate this album like I used to, although it doesn't hit me right in the feels like it does a lot of people. krYlon is the one track I still don't have any use for. The rest of them are decent to good if a bit cringey-corny (d-sho qub is still LOL).

Agree with Yuop being excellent and underrated, although Rsdio and Nuane are hard to beat as closers (not to mention Arch Carrier and netlon sentinel if you'd like to think of them as "alternate endings").

I can sort of understand what you mean about it the cringe of d-sho qub, but now it's just fun.

Hm, krYlon. I could see how it could be seen as either structurally repetitive, or maybe the melodies are too on the nose? I dunno, i'm totally into it. It's so shimmering and crystalline, and i love the way the subtler lower notes morph.

Oh man, Nuane, it's been way too long. So good.