IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Ambient and Max tracks? Ok now I'm excited, ready from a move away from the Untilted/Quaristice Machinedrum sound.

+ it sounds like quaristice cd 2 as the guy with the promo cd told :emotawesomepm9:

and a bit of plaid

As long as it isn't all just pure ambient/soundscapes/fieldrecording/... that would be boring as hell. A couple of tracks I could stand, but I need the signature AE style!

At the very least add subtle beats/percussion.

Edited by Fredd-E

As long as it isn't just pure ambient/soundscapes/fieldrecording/... that would be boring as hell.

At the very least add subtle beats/percussion.

when quaristice is their definition of ambient I am totally in

i feel like i've been lost in the desert for the past week and i just found an oasis with palm trees and coconuts

coconuts out of reach that is.

just biked in to say i heard oversteps and it's pretty good. it's a return to the more incunabula, amber, tri, chiastic, lp5, ep7, confield, draft, untilted and quaristice ae. definitely a return to the generative software ae but also a return to the more hardware-oriented albums.

fukin lush

just biked in to say i heard oversteps and it's pretty good. it's a return to the more incunabula, amber, tri, chiastic, lp5, ep7, confield, draft, untilted and quaristice ae. definitely a return to the generative software ae but also a return to the more hardware-oriented albums.

fukin lush

this

where? where? WHERE? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHH

I am feeling totally the same right now

yesterday I searched in the very old topics of the new releases section just to find something to distract me from listening to quaristice non stop

today I found a decent techno set that keeps me distracted for some time ... but how long...

r ess - pretty cool. more of an intro than a song. i think "r ess" means either "res," viz resonance, or maybe RS like, i dunoo, maybe some one's initials or like "Rob Sombie" or something.

ilanders- first autechre song with electric guitar. starts off slow, like just plucking around, you know like noodling or whatever. but then a wicked ae beat comes in, really tight compressed kicked with like really fast drum rolls all over the place. also the first ae track with vocals. as far as i can tell these are the lyrics:

using energy we create this recording

if you are sound of mind

you won't mind

our sick pads and their sense of forboding

(that las line might be "sons of fur-coating?" but wtf is that??

known(1) - literally the best song. reminds me of LUDD, kinda dumb but like brilliant at the same time. sick beats/ambient stuff.

pt2ph8 - i think the title refers to peer-to-peer gaming or something (is that even a thing?). anyway, this starts off very cinematic, lush orchestral swells, dark heavily reverbed brass looming in the periphery. then it conveys perfectly the following: you're in a nightmare, but it's a cube, but it's the house you grew up in. it's so weird b/c you know your way around perfectly but it feels like you're getting to the different rooms a lot faster than it should take. so: are the hallways smaller? or are you bigger/faster? fucking does your head in the way they do this.

qplay - kinda shite

see on see - made entirely of samples of water this piece is ambient but a bunch of times a big break beat just randomly comes in, like totally un-quantized and makes me think they didn't even know it was happening or something. pretty mental, the samples of the ocean are totally manipulated beyond recognition so it basically sounds just like the bass line in "vose in."

Treale - by this time i was pretty wasted so i feel like my observations might not be as objective. by the time this track comes on the album has already been playing for 65 minutes. so, you're kinda sick of it. this track sounds really gay, like, in a gay way: there's this 909 beat with a cute little whistling moog sound over the top (think snoop dog's first record) and a vocal sample that's saying either "dicks, eat 'em" or "this is IDM." i dunno, the voice sounds kinda like my ex so i skipped this one.

os veix3 - completed wasted by this point. i tried to turn this one up b/c it's really ambient but accidentally pressed the buzzer for my doorbell thus letting my mates in. they were like, "hey, is this the new ae?" and i was like, "dude, i don't even fucking know anymore." they told me this track was mega turbo ambient and i have no reason to doubt them.

O=0 - obviously a pisstake b/c this one is just 15" of silence (cf the title, lol @ ae)

d-sho qub - this one had me loling hardcore. the title is a play on the phrase "fo-sho, cuz" which is slang for "for sure, cousin," or basically, "yeah, dude." it sounds like they're using a korg ms-20 through a boss dd6 and then sampling that with an ensoniq eps with customized parameters and then filtering this through a korg wavestation? i think i also hear cs80, ems synthi100, and some buchla oscillators in there. it starts off really fucking creepy. like, creepy as fuck. like, i left my house at this point.

st epreo - depressing tune. a remix of "maetl" although at first it sounds like a remix of "silverside." really dark pads hover over a coffin-heavy bass line (probably a roland super jupiter). the beat sounds like it's composed entirely of samples from coltrane/rashid "interstellar space," although my mate pointed out that i was so fucked by this point that i had actually put on interstellar space but forgot and thought it was still oversteps.

redfall - via email i was told this was from a scrapped soundtrack for "redwall" but who knows. anyway, this sounds A LOT like the first track on incunabula. actually, my mate said i was at this point listening to incunabula. the song is lush, ambient synth strings with nice soft attacks. they sound metallic but gentle and soothing. leads into "bike" which totally surprised me. i was like "bike? on oversteps?" and i mean like the actual song, not a remix. mental.

krYlon - mental drill n bass thingy.

Yuop - the entire album, played in reverse, sped up X100, through a ring modular and buffer override. surprisingly the best tune.

8/10

Edited by Alcofribas

i have plenty to distract me while i wait for oversteps to release:

Drexciya - The Journey Home 12" should arrive tomorrow

Mr Fingers - Amnesia 2xLP should arrive later on this week

a friend is staying over for the weekend so lots of music, film, and cock showing

Aliens vs Predator comes out on Steam Feb 19th

i'm going to BLOC in March

fukin lush

plz use spoiler tags thx