IGNORED

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

Guest GrandPopPoplock

When I first listened to it, I also thought it was sort of messy. I also thought this about Los Angeles, which I ended up loving later on.

After a few listens, the dense thicket of musical phrases and righteous grooves began to make sense, and I realized that this album is jam packed with epicness and sheer ass kickery. :braindance:

Thats exactly what happened to me ( I never thought LA was messy though )

The album is one giant convoluted mess...and that's what makes it so epic .

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my god... this album is amazing! With headphones at times the beauty is simply overwhelming!

FlyLo has created something extraordinary here

Just picked this up on vinyl at the record shop with some fine cannabis. :emotawesomepm9:

Packaging is pretty nifty

edit: Seems this got P4k'd...

Hipster Approved! lol

I'm confused which are the real tracks and which aren't. Can anyone please post the real track lengths or where I can find them?

pitchfork lolz

"That sounds modest-- he's been persistently pursuing a singular vision for years now-- but his first two albums did share common traits with his forebears. Even the excellent Los Angeles from 2008 took some of its cues from J Dilla, one of Ellison's idols. :trashbear: But with Cosmogramma, it's not enough anymore to talk about Ellison's sound as "post-Dilla" or even "post hip-hop." :facepalm: It's his sound now."

:cisfor:

When I first listened to it, I also thought it was sort of messy. I also thought this about Los Angeles, which I ended up loving later on.

After a few listens, the dense thicket of musical phrases and righteous grooves began to make sense, and I realized that this album is jam packed with epicness and sheer ass kickery. :braindance:

Thats exactly what happened to me ( I never thought LA was messy though )

The album is one giant convoluted mess...and that's what makes it so epic .

I guess that's why it took so long to finish up, was worth it though. I saw him live at SXSW and the tracks he played there sound great on the album. Still waiting for my shiny CD though.

Actually, that was one of the better written Pitchfork reviews. I didn't really have any problems with it, and found myself agreeing mostly.

Although, I don't think Satelllliiiiiiite sounds anything like Burial.

Actually, that was one of the better written Pitchfork reviews. I didn't really have any problems with it, and found myself agreeing mostly.

Although, I don't think Satelllliiiiiiite sounds anything like Burial.

Yeah, that was a stretch, but I agree, it was a actually a fairly focused and non-pretentious review. And 8.8 is pretty damn high, I haven't seen one close to 9/10 on pitchfork for a really long time.

favs of mine right now are nose art (that bowbowbowbowbow thing kills me), computer face, and the world laughs and recoiled.

i really think he deserves a ton of credit for his handling of the thom yorke guest spot. it would have been very easy to ride the wave of having one of the worlds most famous rock stars on your album but he treated it so well. its really just another track on the album and fits perfectly. its so well done.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

Eh , that pitchfork review ain't that bad .

I still haven't recovered from their ludicrous review of Totems Flare ( pure :facepalm: & :wtf: )

Guest Grizz

I still haven't recovered from their ludicrous review of Totems Flare ( pure :facepalm: & :wtf: )

I do the sensible thing and just look at the score without reading any review text, otherwise it ends up being an immediate facepalm. They're usually alright with the scores. I think thats the highest score since Animal Collectives last year?

Guest GrandPopPoplock

That's usually what I do .

I don't hate hate pitchfork..they're ok .

Flying Lotus did a great job with Thoms voice. Sometimes I find his vocal a bit draining and boring, but he nailed it.

Yep, I was worried when hearing thom yorke singing, but it turned out better then I could have ever imagined.

I just read the Totems Flare review, since you called attention to it. :fail:

I find the Cosmogramma review pretty good by Pitchfork standards. It's not overly long either.

favs of mine right now are nose art (that bowbowbowbowbow thing kills me), computer face, and the world laughs and recoiled.

the yorke track is awesome... other favs of mine are mmmhmm & do the astral plane - really it's all great but I prefer the 2nd 2/3rds of the album to the first 1/3rd. I absolutely love all the strings & jazzy parts. I rarely listen to an album on repeat or back-to-back listens, but I've been doing that since I got this 2 days ago. Such variety, sounds fresh on each play through. Some of the bass parts sound like squarepusher songs, but better (sorry tom)

I like Cloak Catcher, Pickled!, and Nose Art, but I really feel like this album plays smoother starting from Intro//A Cosmic Drama. Maybe it will grow on me, but right now it feels like these tracks are just thrown on the beginning. Maybe I'm just not used to an album starting this way, especially an "epic" such as this.

Eh , that pitchfork review ain't that bad .I still haven't recovered from their ludicrous review of Totems Flare ( pure :facepalm: & :wtf: )
I do the sensible thing and just look at the score without reading any review text, otherwise it ends up being an immediate facepalm. They're usually alright with the scores. I think thats the highest score since Animal Collectives last year?

I glance at scores too, and read it only if it's super high or low, and then also go to metacritic as well. They've been reviewing things a bit after most other outlets as well...

That's usually what I do .I don't hate hate pitchfork..they're ok .

Thank god, sometimes I feel alone...this is like being in a casual-pitchfork-reader support group.

I like Cloak Catcher, Pickled!, and Nose Art, but I really feel like this album plays smoother starting from Intro//A Cosmic Drama. Maybe it will grow on me, but right now it feels like these tracks are just thrown on the beginning. Maybe I'm just not used to an album starting this way, especially an "epic" such as this.

Funny you mentioned that, I noticed he opened his SXSW set with the songs from the end of the album.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I just read the Totems Flare review, since you called attention to it. :fail:

I find the Cosmogramma review pretty good by Pitchfork standards. It's not overly long either.

Yeah...it's quite...wtf

my thoughts exactly.. I've started listenting to the album at track 4 a few times

I'm a little upset that the vibe of this album is pretty close to a track that I've been working on for quite some time... It's by no means identical, but no doubt people will find the track even more FlyLo inspired than it already was when I release it! :unsure:

the yorke track is awesome... other favs of mine are mmmhmm & do the astral plane

I don't mind the Yorke track but don't love it...I think Do the Astral Plane is my favorite right now.

I rarely listen to an album on repeat or back-to-back listens, but I've been doing that since I got this 2 days ago. Such variety, sounds fresh on each play through.

I've played it a lot in the last few days too and it's also rare for me to do so. I think part of the reason is its manageable length...it's not overwhelming, never has a change to drag on, and just leaves you wanting more. That's what I like out of an album. It doesn't overstay its welcome so it just makes you curious and want to really get to know it, see where it will go.

Guest bitroast

astral plane is my least favourite i think. it's alright, and i don't really mind it, but it always gives me a different vibe to the rest of the album when the song starts up. i dnno

Archived