IGNORED

Your favorite electronic & synth film scores

awepittance

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bizarre and terrifying synthetic Bird Noises made by Oscar Sala in Hitchcock's the Birds.

if you enjoy these sounds PM me and ill send you a link to the rip i found.

aren't both of those vids above after 1983? sorry to be such a stickler for the rules, but if i was to accept anything after 1983 it would be too much material.

none of it is publicly available... it seems to be part of some sort of reference collection at a university though. hopefully some of it will though at some point.

huh, so i take it the only samples available are the low quality rips on that BBC article ??

- Dr. Who was obviously a very influential TV show then and it was done in 1963. In between 1963 - 1970 was there anything else on film or TV that resembled the modern electronic qualities of the Dr. Who theme? i have too much stuff from the 70s, not much from the 60s, but i can't imagine a 7 year gap with no moog lead on a TV show theme.

Sorry, (early) 70s again, but I don't think this has been mentioned.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=21366

Guest analogue wings

Don't think it's been mentioned but Oscar Sala did some great work on The Birds. He used a synth to emulate bird noises!

The bizarre and terrifying synthetic Bird Noises made by Oscar Sala in Hitchcock's the Birds.

aren't both of those vids above after 1983? sorry to be such a stickler for the rules, but if i was to accept anything after 1983 it would be too much material.

risky business is from 83 (assuming thats what you were referring to)

risky business is from 83 (assuming thats what you were referring to)

my mistake, that sounds great. i'm going to download it right now

never saw the movie, i love TD & like Michael Mann tho. the soundtrack is interesting : long drones, spacey moments with 1980s sounds. i got it from a blog. the interesting bit is that it sounds like some soundtrack material to be used by the director/editor. what i mean, is that if the band would have released it back in the days, it would have been probably edited & shorter. while the bootleg edition last 76min.

Guest analogue wings

There are 4 or 5 bootleg version of the score - all quite different. TD released an official version in highly limited numbers for some shockingly extorionate price a few years back.

They play variations of pieces from The Keep on the "Poland" live album

Guest analogue wings

Oh, and the movie looks fantastic (Michael Mann slomo shots ahoy) and obviously sounds great but makes zero sense.

A lot of important shit in the book is simply not explained, so you are left with a really cool set up for a horror film followed by a whole lot of new age rubbish happening for what appears to be no reason at all.

Guest analogue wings

The real one seems to have all memorable cues from the film.

I tried the "Orange" bootleg - it has shit like odd really long noise tracks that sound like Throbbing Gristle that I'm positive arent even in the film.

TBH I'm more likely to just put the movie on than listen to the score. Treat the actual film as a realy cool WinAmp visualisation :)

Already been mentioned but I have to bring up the brilliance of Ennio Morricone's soundtrack to The Thing, one of my favorite works of music ever. It fits the movie perfectly but is really enjoyable in its own right, I use tracks from this in a few of my mixes. John Carpenter's soundtracks are pretty brilliant in general but this one is my fav by a mile. Also love the Clockwork Orange soundtrack and the opening theme to The Shining. Anything people would recommend based on that? I like dark ominous synth and orchestra stuff more than the Vangelis/Tangerine Dream type stuff, although that's great too.

watching Forbidden Planet right now. i like how straight it's played, reminds me of movie length version of an old episode of star trek.soundtrack is pretty awesome, i like how it's nothing but electronic sounds

Yeah it definately set the stage for Star Trek later on. The compositions are the icing on the cake, because the set and filming of it are pretty top notch. Even that "monster" animated scene is quite creepy and effective.

so a few questions- Dr. Who was obviously a very influential TV show then and it was done in 1963. In between 1963 - 1970 was there anything else on film or TV that resembled the modern electronic qualities of the Dr. Who theme? i have too much stuff from the 70s, not much from the 60s, but i can't imagine a 7 year gap with no moog lead on a TV show theme. - In the BBC article from last year that mentions Delia Derbyshire's 'lost experimental dance track' it says they recently discovered 20 previously unheard recordings. What outfit put these recordings out? it's been over a year so i assume it has been released but i could be wrong.
none of it is publicly available... it seems to be part of some sort of reference collection at a university though. hopefully some of it will though at some point.and between 1963 and 1970 there was a whole golden age of the radiophonic workshop! there's loads of compilations of that stuff.

Didn't they almost destroy many of the old tapes? (BBC was notorious about doing that in general)

This is jazz, but here's a good doc on the Radiophonic Workshop. Mad geniuses, all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKPGzX5kZd0

watching Forbidden Planet right now. i like how straight it's played, reminds me of movie length version of an old episode of star trek.soundtrack is pretty awesome, i like how it's nothing but electronic sounds

Yeah it definately set the stage for Star Trek later on. The compositions are the icing on the cake, because the set and filming of it are pretty top notch. Even that "monster" animated scene is quite creepy and effective.

yeah i was quite taken with Forbidden planet, i loved it. that animated monster scene was pretty amazing. It definitely is on the same level as Metropolis or 2001 a space odyssey for ground breaking visual effects and style.

Archived