IGNORED

Adore - [2010] Distorted Minds (Album)

Guest iAdore

Hi WATMM, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Adore, and I released my electronic album for free the other day. I never knew of this site until now, but it looks very interesting. Hope you like the album at least :) It's taken years to make...

You may download the album for free in V2 MP3 quality (190~ kbps approx) here -

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sha4rk or stream it here http://adore.bandcamp.com/

RELEASE

From the creator of "Beneath Us" and "Emotion" EP series, comes the third and first album release, "Distorted Minds".

We are all born in debt - hoplessly enslaved, and programmed from start. Some of us are revolving on fiction to live with ourselves, and are being controlled by a system with the illusion of participation. If we were to be dreaming in freedom, we would escape from reality. We would have a new beginning, with the option of choice. Vaguely remembering the leaders from before, and those we lost to the selfish beings. This is when we realize, that we are living a nightmare, and that the solution to most of the world problems, lies in common heritage.

jzi0pz.png

2qa1nvd.png

ARTIST

Adore is electronica artist Mikael Skramesto from Bergen (Askoy), Norway - inspired by artists such as Air, Air France, Aphex Twin, Bibio, Boards Of Canada, BT, Burial, Crystal Method (, The), Daft Punk, Edit, Flashbulb (, The), Gustavo Santaolalla, Hans Zimmer, Hybrid, J Dilla, Justice, Kanye West, Massive Attack, Prefuse 73, Prodigy (, The), Radiohead, Röyksopp, Sigur Rós, Shadow (, DJ), Thomas Newman, Tycho.

In the summer of 2008, he gave out his first EP "Beneath Us" (and a remaster in 2009) - which was released for free (with donating possibilities) across the internet, containing a lot of different genres (ambient, breaks, downtempo, electronic, experimental, idm & trance). In the summer of 2009, he released his second EP "Emotion" - focusing mainly on slightly softer music (ambient, breaks, idm & industrial). Now, in the beginning of 2010, he is releasing his first album "Distorted Minds", also in the same manner - containing more varied genres (ambient, breaks, club, downtempo, drum and bass, electro house, electronic, idm, industrial, experimental, trip hop).

TRACKLIST

01. Adore - Born In Debt (2:03)

02. Adore - Hopelessly Enslaved (1:32)

03. Adore - Programmed From Start (3:13)

04. Adore - Revolving On Fiction (1:54)

05. Adore - Controlled By A System (3:10)

06. Adore - Illusion Of Participation (2:52)

07. Adore - Dreaming In Freedom (2:58)

08. Adore - Escape From Reality (1:16)

09. Adore - A New Beginning (3:10)

10. Adore - Option Of Choice (3:00)

11. Adore - Leaders From Before (3:18)

12. Adore - Those We Lost (1:46)

13. Adore - Selfish Beings (2:04)

14. Adore - Living A Nightmare (2:00)

15. Adore - Common Heritage (1:48)

WEB

http://adore.bandcamp.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adore/227028150272

http://www.thesixtyone.com/adore/

http://www.reddit.com/tb/arfz0

http://www.myspace.com/iAdoreMedia

http://youtube.com/iAdoreMedia

We are all born in debt - hoplessly enslaved, and programmed from start. Some of us are revolving on fiction to live with ourselves, and are being controlled by a system with the illusion of participation. If we were to be dreaming in freedom, we would escape from reality. We would have a new beginning, with the option of choice. Vaguely remembering the leaders from before, and those we lost to the selfish beings. This is when we realize, that we are living a nightmare, and that the solution to most of the world problems, lies in common heritage.

Finally a definition for pretentious.

Seriously though :

doublefacepalm.jpg

Elitist forums ftw!!!

Perhaps you could extend the length of the songs and make them slightly more varied?

I just got a quote from another guy saying my album was already way too varied. Elitism is the exact opposite of what I'm proposing. I don't mean to be a spammer or anything guys, would just like some honest constructive criticism. I don't really listen too much to Plaid tbh, he doesn't inspire my music.

About Kanye. I don't like most of his behavior, but his music is deff something better than the other usual commercial music they play on the radio. I try not to let my personal feelings towards individuals interfere with with my opinion of their creative works.

Yeah I know Plaid is two guys, but I wasn't allowed to edit again... ^^ Also about Aphex Twin, my music doesn't sound like his tbh. I just listed my inspirations overall, they don't necessarily have to do with anything about the album.

lol, nvm I see what you ment now... :) My music doesn't sound like any of my inspirations though, so calling me a wannabe is something I don't understand. I have no ambitions of being another Aphex Twin.

Guest Erothyme

You guys are real dicks sometimes.

The brilliant irony is how enormous your ego must be to call egocentricism in response to someone offering you free music.

You guys are real dicks sometimes.

The brilliant irony is how enormous your ego must be to call egocentricism in response to someone offering you free music.

Thanks for the support guys, I hope you like it - or can offer me some constructive criticism at least :)

Thanks again, I was actually starting to feel a bit down... :/

how does aphex twin overall inspire you? that's what i'm getting at. this could be quite uplifting.

Oh. Well, he certainly is an interesting guy. I don't like all that he makes, but a lot of his latter work. I also study film, and even his music videos are often very creative. The very detailed editing work on Rubber Johnny to his percussion work is certainly inspiring, and how he freaks every male out with Windowlicker as well. Overall, I don't think he's the greatest musician in the world, but I respect that others might consider him to be (he's certainly one of the most creative though, and he always changes upon every release - he wouldn't bring us the same song every year). The tunes I do like from him though, I often find to be groundbreaking at times, and really dig it. I don't think Aphex is similar in any way to this release of mine, but I might have picked up a few things on my last EP (Emotion), which could be found at my Bandcamp page. It's less dancy (which I know some just don't like at all), and more melodic (ambient).

In short, Aphex Twin inspires me to be creative, and keep trying to create new things - which doesn't really sound like anything else. He also shed's a light on the electronic music industry, and is an artist who has proven that electronic music should also has a place in musical history.

you sir have inspired me to make one of those inspirational pictures... i have to figure out the font and torrent photoshop. but just you wait.

btw man, i wasn't trying to be a dick, you sound like some rendition of plaid in terms of the fact taht your beats never change and your primary focus is on bigtime synth wankery. you've got the soul of a self-promoter though so GODSPEED MY GOOD MAN!

* works on picture *

you sir have inspired me to make one of those inspirational pictures... i have to figure out the font and torrent photoshop. but just you wait.

btw man, i wasn't trying to be a dick, you sound like some rendition of plaid in terms of the fact taht your beats never change and your primary focus is on bigtime synth wankery. you've got the soul of a self-promoter though so GODSPEED MY GOOD MAN!

* works on picture *

:) hehe, hf... and yeah, I'm no drummachine dude. cheers

Some good tracks on this album, really liked the first track "Born In Debt" and "Hopelessly Enslaved". The melodies are way above average on alot of these tracks and will probably get repeated listens from me. Thanks for sharing.

Some good tracks on this album, really liked the first track "Born In Debt" and "Hopelessly Enslaved". The melodies are way above average on alot of these tracks and will probably get repeated listens from me. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers mate, glad you liked it... Thank you very much for the feedback :)

* whistles dixie *

i tell you what: as i chomp down pizza i will load all of your tracks into my mp3 player and put it on random. the first track that comes up will be thoroughly discombobulated and recombobulated by me. behind my failed attempt at lulz LIEs nuggest of tRUTH, baby. when the tuffles return the universe is in severe danger.

but hold tight kind sir, you seem like a nice enough kid and you deserve some t-RU?t.h. (theosophical hoedown) and i promise you that i will give you the definitive perspective on your music. * crunch *

I just got a quote from another guy saying my album was already way too varied.

I don't mean within the album as a whole, generally I like variation in an album- it keeps it from becoming boring. What I meant was, there should be more variation within each song. Also, I find a lot of your synths a little cheesy, maybe try spending some time sitting down with one vst and try to stretch it to it's full potential....

Sorry again for my original post.

Peace.

ok sir, seeing as you're ignoring me because i made that inspiratonal jpg about you, i will do the lord's work here and explain to you why you got called pretensious early. now look, while i am about to technically be humorous at your expense, pay attention and you'll learn a few things:

Hi WATMM, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Adore, and I released my electronic album for free the other day. I never knew of this site until now, but it looks very interesting. Hope you like the album at least :) It's taken years to make...

i sincerely doubt this took years to make. if it did, how did you make the other album/EP/whatever? were you working on like 30 tracks at once? i'll give you that you're technically solid at constructing the melodies and synths, but they're awfully vanilla. just about anyone regularly posting tracks in this sub-forum could make the drum beats for any given song in under five minutes if they were properly motivated.

You may download the album for free in V2 MP3 quality (190~ kbps approx) here -

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sha4rk or stream it here http://adore.bandcamp.com/

thanks for your permission to download this. i have tons (literally, by the 2000loads) of mp3s on my laptop hard drive here and you know what? i'd have a lot more peace of mind if i was given permission to download them.

RELEASE

From the creator of "Beneath Us" and "Emotion" EP series, comes the third and first album release, "Distorted Minds".

wow. where do i start with this? nobody here knows you from a hole in the ground and yet, your pseudo-press-release starts off by citing that you're the creator of the "beneath us" and "emotion" EP series? huh? when aphex twin himself, listed as an influence, puts out a press release, *IF* he even does, you can be rest assured that it doesn't start off "from the seminary mind of the man who brought you "i care because you do" and "the richard james EP" comes the EP "windowlicker" - see, right from the start you're going for a very commercial feel, and quite honestly this sub-forum is more a place for us FUCKING AMATEURS to have a sounding board to shoot new tracks by and get some feedback as we work on things. sure some people are a bit more established than others, but looking at a couple of threads that i saw the other day, now on page 2, you can see:

1) chris moss acid - here since 2005 with almost 10k posts - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/52869-inteceptor-new-5-track-album/

2) placidburp - also here since 2005 - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/48884-acidburp-the-end/

you see, neither of them have press releases or links to 5-6 different webpages or anything. it's more casual here, because quite honestly if you're to the point of pseudo-press-releases and coming off as hopelessly commercial, then you'd be selling the album outright and not asking for feedback on it. as presently constituted you seem a bit disingenuous.

AND THEN THERE'S THE MATTER OF THAT DESCRIPTION.

i've listened to your album, admittedly skipping through a lot of parts of it to see what you're accomplishing in the big picture, and i can tell you that i can yank the scrollbar on my foobar2000 player and go up a minute or two and you'll be on the next part of the song, but there isn't enough variance and dynamics to warrant listening to how you arrived at the next part of the song from the previous. it's very cookiecutter, which goes back to my disputing your claim that it took you years to make this.

THEREFORE, in regards to your description: what the hell are you on about?

what does this have to do with your music? i mean, if you want to hear something that goes for that dystopian feel that would live up to this description, try "dead cities" by the future sound of london.

((YOU HAVE YOUR IMAGES HERE))

ARTIST

Adore is electronica artist Mikael Skramesto from Bergen (Askoy), Norway - inspired by artists such as Air, Air France, Aphex Twin, Bibio, Boards Of Canada, BT, Burial, Crystal Method (, The), Daft Punk, Edit, Flashbulb (, The), Gustavo Santaolalla, Hans Zimmer, Hybrid, J Dilla, Justice, Kanye West, Massive Attack, Prefuse 73, Prodigy (, The), Radiohead, Röyksopp, Sigur Rós, Shadow (, DJ), Thomas Newman, Tycho.

In the summer of 2008, he gave out his first EP "Beneath Us" (and a remaster in 2009) - which was released for free (with donating possibilities) across the internet, containing a lot of different genres (ambient, breaks, downtempo, electronic, experimental, idm & trance). In the summer of 2009, he released his second EP "Emotion" - focusing mainly on slightly softer music (ambient, breaks, idm & industrial). Now, in the beginning of 2010, he is releasing his first album "Distorted Minds", also in the same manner - containing more varied genres (ambient, breaks, club, downtempo, drum and bass, electro house, electronic, idm, industrial, experimental, trip hop).

this is utterly ridiculous. have you ever bought a CD where it lists everyone's influences? even on press releases or whatever? i mean THE ARE NO PRESS RELEASES IN THE WORLD OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC MUCH LIKE THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL (ask tom hanks)

let's go back to aphex twin with come to daddy / windowlicker ERA stuff, can you imagine on the warp website anywhere it listening who aphex was influenced by and the genres of music he encompasses? the music speaks for itself. note: i keep on using aphex twin as an example because he is the golden standard here: the fucking bulletin board is named after an aphex twin song ffs.

TRACKLIST

01. Adore - Born In Debt (2:03) - going for anthemic. you start off with a peppy beat and league average synths, however, as it will be noted as a theme in your album, your drums only have that first intro part and then it kicks directly into a loop you use until the last 20 seconds or so when you ambient wank outro. there is no progression on the drum sequencing whatsoever. the drums only exist as a vehicle to bring us your synthwork.

02. Adore - Hopelessly Enslaved (1:32) - this track is more ambitious than many of the others, but it fails at it. it seems that you have this style where you lead us around with inspirational ambient wank for ~75-80% of a track then drop in the aggro part. in this case, the aggro parts and you have a retarded drum studder for 15-20 seconds before it goes away and your grating chainsaw synths go to work. as my mp3 player is on repeat one i can't help but notice that the stabby synths at the end of the cut are the same as they are a the beginning. once again, you only have two drum patterns.

03. Adore - Programmed From Start (3:13) - you have some decent synth playing, but that bass synth kind of shits all over it. you only have one drum beat in this entire song. however, you do have some talent at producing the synthwork so with experience i reckon you could get pretty good at this if you were to keep going.

04. Adore - Revolving On Fiction (1:54) - wow, circa 48 seconds into this you actually cut up teh drums to transition between parts! tally ho. outro is too excessive, suffering from post-ejaculatory ambientsynthwank at teh end. oh and the "check this out" sample to start is laughable =P

05. Adore - Controlled By A System (3:10) - you only use one drum beat for this entire song. also, what does the track title have to do with this song?

06. Adore - Illusion Of Participation (2:52) - THE AGGRO METAL DRUM AND BASS SONG WOO! you listed the flashbulb as an influence, and you are as to the flashbulb here as the flashbulb is to squarepusher in general. except you sound exactly like the flashbulb on this track. the drum beat never changes and that distortion is annoying, i mean, it only attacks the fidelity of what you're doing and imho that's probably the best aspect of your music in this early stage. if you make whole albums like this, you can have an army of lame girls worship you like they do the flashbulb.

07. Adore - Dreaming In Freedom (2:58) - decent track. it's a bit grandiose and i can tell you like your synthwork, and you did an admirable job of teasing the drums and the final drop is fine. i mean, i wouldn't buy this, but i could have it on in the background and i'd nod my head and keep on doing whatever i'm doing, sure. the problem is that it took ~1:50 to get there, and you know, that weird ambient ooh-ahh fest to a weird semi-drumbeat to back to oohing and ahhing, i mean, you'd have a better song if you limited the ooh ahh buildup to something like 20-30 seconds then went with teh drop you introduce at 1:50 or so.

08. Adore - Escape From Reality (1:16) - ambient wank. utterly pointless unless you're trying to fall asleep, at which point may i make a suggestion that you implant subliminal messages?

09. Adore - A New Beginning (3:10) - like many of your tracks, when i listen to them i expect the volume to go down and hear "your call is very important to us, please continue to hold on the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly"

10. Adore - Option Of Choice (3:00) - the distortion that starts in at 1:22 is laughably bad. it's been said by other people in the meek "more variance plz" mode, but really, you can get a decent vanilla vibe going with the synths and pads, sure. this doesn't change the fact that your drums are the very definition of pedestrian. for all i know you downloaded a bunch of generic drum loops and used those, because there is nothing to suggest that you have done anything other than applying looped drums to tracks. in three minutes of this song there's only one main drum beat and two different variations of it, with the only difference being an extra snare in the same exact loop for the main (read: non intro/outro) part of the track.

11. Adore - Leaders From Before (3:18)

12. Adore - Those We Lost (1:46)

13. Adore - Selfish Beings (2:04)

14. Adore - Living A Nightmare (2:00)

15. Adore - Common Heritage (1:48)

and the rest of these are either ambient wank or your typical song structure where you've got one drum beat with maybe a minor variation and just you playing the same synthesizer/s over and over and over.

OVERALL: your album is really really repetitive and quite pointless. you'd be best served to take maybe the 2 or 3 best tracks off of this and make that a small web-only-EP or have them be the start of something more ambitious. you have to actually treat your drums as more than a formality to give you timing to play your synthesizers to. obviously at this juncture in your career you're more synthesizer oriented, but really man, what i said on track #9... pretty much all of your tracks could easily be envisioned as hold music. i mean if you wish to make commercial music for anonymous backgrounds and for telephone systems, you are surely on the path... but in terms of having the kind of dynamics that would push this into the realm of listening music? sorry sir, you come up short.

i'm surprised you're not selling this on itunes, iadore. that's not even cute or clever in fact it makes you look like a WANNABE mac douche. not to mention, your bandcamp page prominently features a link to "donate" and the zip file has shortcuts to both BUY AND DONATE for this.

part of me thinks this could be an elaborate joke just trying to take the piss out of the forum, either that or you're 17 and have no clue what you're doing. nobody would buy this album except for your mother or some commercial enterprise that would use these tracks for hold music or maybe like, local cable access television for backgrounds on the community access channel, or the village bulletin board slideshow that runs all day long when they dont televise board meetings or something.

so there you have it, kid. there's the definitive take on your music and even though i did come off harsh at times, i took more time than anyone else on here to sit down and go through your music and your marketing and deconstruct you and your efforts. i hope you learn something from this. in case you're dense tho... THESIS STATEMENT: put away the notions of selling this, put away the notions of press-releases and artist bios because you're getting way ahead of yourself... i mean if you were sending this out to a record label, fine, but this isn't a record label. it's a music making community and while you do have some talent, you have a long long ways to go. you clearly see making music as a business and i think if you stick with this you'll be making vanilla/anonymous corporate music like that, but as presently constituted i can't see you being an actual "artist" as much as being a "producer"

and in honor of your directing me to other music on "[your] bandcamp page. it's less dancy" , once again

bandcamp.jpg

(once again, not to be confused with boundary-busting theoretical theoriest avant garde wunderkind les dancy)

i have to go to a funeral right now. so that was my proverbial wad for the day. and look, kid, i didn't do that to be mean... i did that because everyone else is just telling you "it's good keep it up!" which is the equivalent of the smile and nod. i gave you substance and if you take what i said to heart, you'll have a better time in the future hanging out not just here, but anywhere where people make and discuss the making of music.

iadore is just a nick because adore is always already used. thank you for your criticism. It helps by stating something good also, but I guess there wasn't much. I do appreciate the criticism though, and you're totally right about the beats - I'm not a drummachine musician, but I could still do some more work on beats.

Influences and earlier work were only listed to create interest, so perhaps folks that like similar artists can check out my work which is based upon their work. It was also to give some an idea of what I sound like. I find it inaccurate to say that anything was created out of thin air, and that's the deal with Aphex Twin. He is not ahead of his time or anything like that, something inspired him to sit down and create his creative works. If he decides to not share this information with anyone, that's up to him - but I'm not him, and I don't think I need to follow his path to be liked. Sure it's preferred in the community, but you fail to explain why.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not trying to be another Aphex Twin. Which is why I don't use his methods for acronyms usage, bothering people to spend an entire day organizing my music due to the thousands of various releases. I just state, here's the music (all easily collectible), like it or leave it - and please post feedback on either if you please.

Beneath Us on the site is a remaster from the 2008 version, so I've worked on this album since 2008 or something (while working on the other short releases as well). I'm not trying to advertise myself, as you can see I only have 6 fans on facebook - I don't invite any of my friends or anything to try to become big, I just let whoever likes the music see that little link and become a follower of status updates etc.

I made about 100usd (+) on the release, and it cost probly ten times that (or more) in equipment - however I am certainly a newcomer, and I'm not trying to become big, I'm trying to go where noone has gone before. I don't think any album sounds like this one, nor does it sound like my earlier works. Sure some might consider it to sound like shit, but at least it's different shit.

I try to create a story for every release. I study film, and film shouldn't be just a work of art (some guy throwing paint from a bucket at the wall). Like film, music can also start becoming more of a story medium.

I've never heard anything Flashbulb has made that sounds like Illusion Of Participation, but I guess he does mix drum'n'bass with guitars at times. I heard Flashbulb was considered the modern day Aphex Twin, guess thats not right.

It seems you really don't like ambient, or least of all not my ambient. You seem to add the word "wank" to it every time you so much as mention it.

On hopelessly enslaved the synths are not the same on the end as the beginning, there's another synth on top. I've never heard any song like this one, it's probably the most unique on the album, but certainly has elements of trance/club culture and distortion in it - which can be hard to grasp.

"Check this out" on Revolving On Fiction is supposed to add to the storyline. When I create music. I often picture them in my head a long with a music video, a storyline happening. In "Controlled By A System" i created this story about kids from all over the world, gathering to protest in front of i.e the white house, due to the world they were forced to grow up in. You really seem to dismiss distortion, and that's fine. If you don't like distortion, you won't like the album - simple as that. Seeing as it's based a lot on the storyline of Distorted Minds - being that the population don't see the world for what it really is. I don't want an army of girls liking my music, nor do I see music as a business for myself - I'd make commercial shit like the Jonas Brothers do, then.

I dont understand how'd they manage to play the distortion and multiple layers parts of A New Beginning through a phone (around 2min). It's one of the few feelgood songs on the album. I find it more likely the play something like "Avril 14th" on such things.

"Option Of Choice" consists of 4 drumparts, its not very versatile - but neither is melodic drum and bass known for being.

I do consider this album to be my more danceble release (meme), but that doesn't mean I don't think it's listenable. And often drumwork on dancemusic is unfortunately very repetetive. It's mainly because my last one was an ambient one I decided to go this path. Emotino was veryyy dreamy, kinda like the music you sit listening to in a dark room all by yourself - setting a certain mood. Again though, I could certainly work more on beats.

People did buy the album, not advertisers, nor my mother - I don't share my music with friends because I fear it's not good enough, or a certain genre they wouldn't appreciate. Just regular guys from reddit and various torrent communities, who appreciates my effort - and presumably the music itself. Sure it's less then the money I would make working two days at a convenient store, but at least it shows signs of appreciation - and it gives me a reason to improve. I don't know why you don't consider me actual artist, but a lot of people don't even consider electronic musicians to be actual artists. I for one conclude that an artist is someone who creates something, but I guess it has become more of a personal perceptive word.

Sure I'm not as good as many of the electronics artists out there, but I'm sure I've come just as long as many of them did, after only three years.

Thanks again for your critique. But it's like this. You were already set out to hate it before you even heard it, because there were certain elements that bothered you just by the simple presentation I did. It's like stating that you don't like a comedian to your friends, then go to see his show with them - even though there's a slight chance you wanted to laugh during the show (hypothetically), due to your earlier statement to your friends, you would much rather keep your pride than laugh and admit being wrong.

This is a common human thing, and I'm not saying that it's the case here. I'm saying, even though you might have liked the album (hypothetically), odds are you'd probably much rather keep your pride to what you said in the first place, before even listening to it. We've all done it at some point.

-Adore

Archived