IGNORED

IAMAMIWHOAMI

Guest KY

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masonic Boom

No, I think that Gaga is interesting because her songs, even though I don't particularly like them, stick to my brain like nothing else. The nonsense chants are earwormy as hell and whether you're a fan of pop or not, making that kind of thing effectively takes a certain kind of skill.

If you have no respect for pop as a genre in the first place, then obviously this will mean nothing to you, and that's your taste. If you don't like even the *idea* of Madonna then sorry, there's not much I have to discuss with you.

I think that Gaga is interesting - and is enjoying huge success - because she is doing something different enough and brave enough to appeal to an audience hungry for something... Other. The fact that in an age of botoxed identiclone perfect pop stars, she's willing to actually deliberately look *UGLY* and bizarre and play with imagery in a way that goes beyond the pretty-perfection that women are indoctrinated to aspire to - that makes me think there's something to her. Because that's a pretty astute direction to go in.

Sure, she's not the first person to do this - The Knife were wearing masks onstage and bizarre outfits years before Gaga - but she's certainly popularised it and made it A Thing in the popular eye, to reject this airbrushed ideal.

Whoever the woman in the mud is, I'm betting that the germination of the idea came from this strand of pop culture. And to me (and a lot of people who are intrigued by this imagery) that's something worth paying attention to.

I'm not a Gaga stan by any means, but I do think there's a lot in contemporary pop worth paying attention to.

And the appeal of formulaeic music is exactly this: with a strict formula, you really have to use your imagination to subvert the form and do something new, which will be appealing. This is why I love bubblegum so much. You almost have to be *more* clever to make effective bubblegum because of the constraints.

Guest illfly mandog

i have nothing against pop music. id say most of the music i listen to is pop. but also know that to my ears pop isnt a genre. its a structure.

Guest Masonic Boom

i have nothing against pop music. id say most of the music i listen to is pop. but also know that to my ears pop isnt a genre. its a structure.

No, I absolutely agree. It's a method of working - a formula is you like.

However, it is also a genre, albeit a fairly broad one like "dance" or "electronic music" which can mean many different things to different people.

In fact, it's a lot like the "dance" genre - that can mean many different things at different times - it can mean James Brown or it can mean Aphex Twin. It's a functional genre, i.e. its definition is that it is designed to make people dance.

I'm not sure what the algorithm that produces "pop" genre is - by its definition it's something that is popular, i.e. appeals to many people and is commerciall successful? yet it's more than that in an intangible way.

She's an over the top spectacle who can thank producer RedOne for an earwormy foundation.

But these videos are not Lady Gaga, so whatever. Who do you think they could be? Does the music production have any signature sounds that give it away?

Guest Masonic Boom

She's an over the top spectacle who can thank producer RedOne for an earwormy foundation.

But these videos are not Lady Gaga, so whatever. Who do you think they could be? Does the music production have any signature sounds that give it away?

Ha ha, Gaga's production is actually the least interesting thing about her. But point taken. The videos in discussion are not Gaga, even though I think that they are quite influenced by that aesthetic.

Every guess I've made about the source of the sounds has been wrong so I'm getting bored with the waiting game and just want to know who it is already.

Guest illfly mandog

ive been trying to up my cool points...golly g...but they just wont give me anymore of those funny little dots under my avitar...

:trashbear:

O shiet nu paeg.

Well, I'm eagerly anticipating the next little video. I hope this is christina aguillera, but I'm happy to listen to whoever it is, even it should turn out to be Hanna Montana. The videos are great (and the music tickles my nutsack).

Guest Masonic Boom

Ha ha I love the way that Lady Gaga (and people like her) act like a kind of lighting rod for the most vicious kinds of misogyny. You can tell a lot about people by their reactions to her.

If someone just shrugs and goes "nah, not for me" they're sound, but if they start the whole "OMG REALLY A MAN UGH REVOLTING HERMAPHRODITE UUURRGGGGHH" then you kind of know that this person is highly unlikely to have any opinions worth paying attention to.

This morning on the bus I was thinking about what artists have been quiet lately/might have something coming out soon - it was actually the VOICE on the last one which made me think - Little Boots?

Sure it's heavily processed and vocodered, but the range and vocal tone is much more like Little Boots than Christina - plus, she's got the label backing behind her to pull of something like this. And the production makes sense with the direction she's been going in.

Wish I could hear words to establish if the accent is right.

Ha ha I love the way that Lady Gaga (and people like her) act like a kind of lighting rod for the most vicious kinds of misogyny. You can tell a lot about people by their reactions to her.

If someone just shrugs and goes "nah, not for me" they're sound, but if they start the whole "OMG REALLY A MAN UGH REVOLTING HERMAPHRODITE UUURRGGGGHH" then you kind of know that this person is highly unlikely to have any opinions worth paying attention to.

This morning on the bus I was thinking about what artists have been quiet lately/might have something coming out soon - it was actually the VOICE on the last one which made me think - Little Boots?

Sure it's heavily processed and vocodered, but the range and vocal tone is much more like Little Boots than Christina - plus, she's got the label backing behind her to pull of something like this. And the production makes sense with the direction she's been going in.

Wish I could hear words to establish if the accent is right.

youre right. the most important thing is that her music is shit.

ive only skimmed this thread but let me get this straight. the reason why everyone is so interested in these videos is because there are rumors that its creator is also a maker of boring (imho, of course) mainstream pop? i listened to a little of a couple of the videos and its pleasant enough, but i hardly think anyone would care if there wasnt mystery surrounding it.

Guest Masonic Boom

You don't have Little Boots wherever you're from?

Wow, she was pretty inescapable over here either last year or the year before. English electro babe, plays a Tenori-on, builds her own theremins and stuff? Ringing any bells?

Trying to find a more recent picture coz she's blonde now, but this was her press shot before she got signed and they turned her from a bedroom producer into a mini Madonna

l_c56375bab8ae3d0957aafa5c15a87518.jpg

she's probably due for a new album quite soon as she toured the heck out of the last one last summer?

She had a huge production budget for the videos on the last album though they were more "SPACE BABE" themed than these more earthy ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeJBd746-4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McdqerXrwXE

This would be a really good way to attract American attention, which seems to have eluded her so far...

I like little boots a bit. She's much more of a sit at the piano and sing a song girl than make cool synthy noises and interesting beats, as a lot of her pix with synths would suggest. Same goes for Tara Busch She's a lil more experimental and more like portishead, but all the same, just kinda sit and sing a song with some atmospheres. Interesting, but not captivating.

Edit: But it's nice music. Just not overly synthy music.

I saw some other people suggest Little Boots as well. Wish I could find a pic of her bottom teeth!

p.s. She was way cuter as a brunette!

what's wrong with her teeth?

Archived