IGNORED

sync modular

Bubba69

This was one of the best modular software synths before it was halted by the developer after he got bought out by NI to re-write reaktor's internals using his knowledge/code from writing sync.(or something like that, its been a while since i've heard the story) Now NI have decided to let him release it for free.

http://www.syncmodular.com/

sorry if this was already posted.

i never got the full story on how Reaktor developed. Like did NI buy Sync Modular and turn it into Generator first? or was Reaktor effectively a hybrid between 2 products NI bought from people (generator + sync modular) .

continuing the earlier thought, if you do have reaktor then this is not worth grabbing. it's neat and can certainly tell you which part of reaktor came from which program, but has nothin' terribly unique.

this won't function as a vst right? I don't think I can be arsed then, since I'm already running reaktor.

i never got the full story on how Reaktor developed. Like did NI buy Sync Modular and turn it into Generator first? or was Reaktor effectively a hybrid between 2 products NI bought from people (generator + sync modular) .

I think he worked on 5, maybe 4, only. He was hired in 2003.

• 2 years later...
Guest RadarJammer

Anyone find any cool patches floating around the web?

Totally different products confused by the fact that they both called patches "ensembles". NI hired Dr Sync (Vadim Zavalishim) to develop core which is basically just a lower level and better looking implimentation of Sync Modular, which is why you can pretty much translate any Sync Modular patch into Reaktor without having to kludge things too much.

Guest RadarJammer

yeah I have seen all that stuff and it isn't much (after more than a decade that's all there is?) and most of it seems pretty boring and samey. I am wondering if there is a treasure trove of patches in the Sync Modular yahoo group but it looks like the admin might not be around to approve new accounts so the files section remains a mystery.

• 7 years later...

Been having some fun with this lately. The ensemble Gong Explorer is really nice (physical model), and there's a nice reverb (R66) built out of nodes all the way down so you can go really low level and mess around with it.

9 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

This makes me want to install BeOS.

Wouldn't go that far, but ... wow. Did not expect to see that link in 2020.

I *bought* a copy of BeOS back in the day. Really liked it.

Nice.  I've never used it, it was one of those cool but unattainable things like a Video Toaster that I used to see advertised when I was a kid.

It still has a small user base and even an open source modern variant that hadn't been updated in years until recently, but got a new version in June:

https://www.haiku-os.org/

It'd be kind of fun in a pointless way to stick this on an old computer and use it as a standalone Sync Modular box.

• 1 month later...

use vaz modular , best vst softsynth modular has 2x oversampling. or bitwig. better than all.

^unless you buy a nord g2 modular looking at $1300 you can use it like a vst though, comes with a soft editor. digital. 

1 hour ago, Brandi_B said:

use vaz modular , best vst softsynth modular has 2x oversampling. or bitwig. better than all.

^unless you buy a nord g2 modular looking at $1300 you can use it like a vst though, comes with a soft editor. digital. 

Vaz was my first modular experience back in 2001. I had nothing to compare it to, but it was totally wild. I have a cassette somewhere of some granular strings I made with its sampler module and it seriously sounded like Narkopop.

Archived