IGNORED

Die Antwoord - Enter the Ninja

Guest chax

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to me, it doesn't come off as a hoax or 'novelty' act (not any more than any standard pop act is a 'novelty' act, anyways), but there's definitely a tongue-in-cheek aspect to it.

what i find remarkable about it is that even though die antwoord is, for lack of a better term, 'manufactured', there's a definite authenticity to it. the production is well done, their live shows look fantastic, and the 'characters' (if you will) are likeable.

looks like the hipster "blogosphere" (fuck the shit out of that term) is picking up on this stuff though. so be warned.

Love the weird reference to Bronski Beats "Hit That Perfect Beat" in "Zef Side". Just great. Lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRnMfZyYrw

that's what i thought as well. not many people who'll listen to this have heard of bronski beat, so it's just a catchy verse to them.

looks like the hipster "blogosphere" (fuck the shit out of that term) is picking up on this stuff though. so be warned.

lol. i have just heard of these guys about 10 minutes before i found these threads from a friend on facebook who i'm sure most of the people here at watmm would consider him a hipster. i then clicked on the page and saw that other friends are into them, who all of which would be considered hipsters to watmmers!

up watching these vids, i didn't like the samurai one much (i did like yolandi's part in it though). but i did enjoy the others, especially when the beat dropped on that one where she was singing "hit that perfect beat". upon further viewing of the vids, i like the "max.." ones best. especially the "dassie" one.

actually i just watched the samurai one again, and i'm a little more down with this the second time around... i'm down with die antwoord max whatever!

to me, it doesn't come off as a hoax or 'novelty' act (not any more than any standard pop act is a 'novelty' act, anyways), but there's definitely a tongue-in-cheek aspect to it.

what i find remarkable about it is that even though die antwoord is, for lack of a better term, 'manufactured', there's a definite authenticity to it. the production is well done, their live shows look fantastic, and the 'characters' (if you will) are likeable.

i believe its possible for 'standard' pop to be more than novelty. and i question the assumption that theres something tongue in cheek about this act.

i question the assumption that theres something tongue in cheek about this act.

do a little research on the references listed in these discussions. look up the maxnormal.tv stuff.

they're not impoverished ghetto rednecks from the cape town flats, as their schtick would imply.

that's not to say what they're coming up with isn't legitimate, but it's definitely got a theatrical element to it.

just watch the zef side video. he lives with his grandma, yo-landi is the neighbor from across the street. dj hi-tek makes 'next level beats'. if you think this is 100% authentic, i have some great property to sell you.

"the answer to what?"

"whatever.... fuck..."

i love these guys.

yeah, this shit is hella fun. wat pomp has the freshest beat I've heard in a good while. I love this nonsense.

i question the assumption that theres something tongue in cheek about this act.

do a little research on the references listed in these discussions. look up the maxnormal.tv stuff.

they're not impoverished ghetto rednecks from the cape town flats, as their schtick would imply.

that's not to say what they're coming up with isn't legitimate, but it's definitely got a theatrical element to it.

just watch the zef side video. he lives with his grandma, yo-landi is the neighbor from across the street. dj hi-tek makes 'next level beats'. if you think this is 100% authentic, i have some great property to sell you.

"the answer to what?"

"whatever.... fuck..."

i love these guys.

wait, so theyre like a south african trailer park boys?

i really dont feel like doing research on these guys as i find the music deeply lame. not my thing and not my thread.

Guest futuregirlfriend

i really wonder what marketing genius or PR person got this group together and has portrayed them this way. there is no way in hell i can absorb this at face value

the guy with the vanilla ice haircut most likely. him and the girl have had other musical projects as different characters. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Watkin+Tudor+Jones

lol at the bit in the second vid from the first post, where the camera focuses in on the girl in the background observing the guys cock flapping forward in his shorts.

so yeah it's a big scam, still it's a really artfully generated scam.

i really wonder what marketing genius or PR person got this group together and has portrayed them this way. there is no way in hell i can absorb this at face value

the guy with the vanilla ice haircut most likely. him and the girl have had other musical projects as different characters. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Watkin+Tudor+Jones

is he like the sasha baron coen of rap music , now im questioning if those tattoos are real or like movie style fake ones

is he like the sasha baron coen of rap music , now im questioning if those tattoos are real or like movie style fake ones

Well, he doesn't have them in the wat pomp video or the zef side video. So I'd say either they're fake or he got them specifically for the Ninja video.

Archived