IGNORED

Oversteps Tour

Blir

Guest victorian sewer rituals

? that's from the Untilted tour of 2005 or..... wait what?

Yeah it is. Classic part as well.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Greg Reason

err... no, you can't up the volume without any difference in quality - besides amplification of floor level noise, you're also losing headroom (bitdepth).

The digital format is theoretically noise free. So whatever noise is on your recording would be from the room. So that noise would be louder if you recorded louder or if you make the recording louder later on. Tape, however, if you record louder you literally get less noise but if you record softer and you try making it louder later, you will raise the noise floor.

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah that's the golden shit in that YouTube link. The definitive version of that imo is at the hallowed Glasgow gig, which I think is what they used to make that YouTube (but if you dl the audio it's in much higher quality than that)

Guest Greg Reason

That is a good point, I guess most people these days record with those handheld Zoom things, I've never used them so I don't know how they do with signal to noise ratio. I'm used to using the low to mid range of professional gear so noise doesn't tend to be an issue unless I record with ribbon mics.

a mate (Godwin Austen - a member here actually) asked me if i wasn't going to record it - like i have the quaristice set we were at.

which quaristice tour boot was this? was it ever uploaded here?

thanks for this current recording, btw. this is the first one where you can actually hear what is going on melodically.

Guest Greg Reason

Finished mastering, it came out bloody fantastic. Great recording, that helped alot. I didn't smack it too hard with compression because I didn't want to bring out too much grit from where the bass distorts but I got loads of detail out of it while still having good bottom end. Fuck they pound the bass at times don't they! Right at the very end it goes crunchy as all hell. Still, great sounding recording.

Just upping it now, I've converted it to 320kps mp3 but it's still going to take a few hours to get it online.

err... no, you can't up the volume without any difference in quality - besides amplification of floor level noise, you're also losing headroom (bitdepth).

The digital format is theoretically noise free. So whatever noise is on your recording would be from the room. So that noise would be louder if you recorded louder or if you make the recording louder later on. Tape, however, if you record louder you literally get less noise but if you record softer and you try making it louder later, you will raise the noise floor.

"theoretically" could be noise free, yeah... but there's noise on loads of digital devices - it's just way less of an issue than it is on tape. i've never really looked into why, but i guess it's from interference type stuff from the electronics and from the mic and that... not to do with the medium but the device itself.

i guess good audio soundcards might be noise-free (i've never used one) - but especially with portable devices it's still there. what you're saying about recording as loud as possible is still relevant for digital. it's not just to do with volume either - there's only so much resolution on any medium, so you'll want to use as much of that as possible.

noise is definitely a problem on the device i recorded with. and even on the expensive pro converters, you still have to deal with s/n ratio. that means the noise exists even in those systems, but they have much better signal-to-noise ratio, which means the noise is quieter there. so you can amplify the signal much more, before hearing the noise. just like on tape, except the noise isn't inherent to the medium, but it got there by the recording equipment.

then another thing you're losing by not recording as hot as possible is headroom. just like on tape, you're losing resolution if you record low - you're not using all the data bits that you could have. and this directly affects the dynamic range.

Finished mastering, it came out bloody fantastic. Great recording, that helped alot. I didn't smack it too hard with compression because I didn't want to bring out too much grit from where the bass distorts but I got loads of detail out of it while still having good bottom end. Fuck they pound the bass at times don't they! Right at the very end it goes crunchy as all hell. Still, great sounding recording.

Just upping it now, I've converted it to 320kps mp3 but it's still going to take a few hours to get it online.

that's awesome, i can't wait to hear it. i'm no sound engineer by any means, so someone with experience in the field can really make this shine. i listened to the raw material again last night and i was surprised to hear it actually doesn't sound that much worse (but really different) than my processed version, i went crazy on the EQ :)

anyways, bring it on!

Is it bad that I feel kinda cheated that they've developed their set over the tour? This Kino Siska set whips the ass of the set I saw, which was still good, but nowhere near this thing - this is killer!

"We have detected an elevated number of requests from your IP address.

This may be caused by improperly designed third-party software."

- Or it could be that you're just a big shitter Megaupload

Thanks for the upload Mr.Reason, hopefully I'll be able to grab it soon....

Guest Tankakern

Im a noob to this thread now. Last time i heard of the following, could someone update me?

—Awful muddy MCR recording

—Good Birmingham recording (minus the drunken shouting)

—An MCR recording sounding as though taken from the back of the stage with no low end

Guest Greg Reason

Giving it a decent listen now, definitely some Quaristicey stuff goin on in there, doesn't sound like any one song in particular but has that peculiar vibe, oohhh just thought I heard one of the "duh, duh duh" vocal things from Plc

thanks for uploading this, the only thing remotely Oversteps like im hearing in this entire recording are the physical modeling glockenspiel like sounds rapid firing off around 35:30

its cool to hear them using that int he context of heavy percussion, the only songs with bells like these on OVersteps are lacking of beats

Just listening to (Greg's remaster) for the first time. Thanks to everyone involved. This sounds a lot better than the Quaristice tour boots i've heard. It definitely sounds like the intend to grow/develop this set, so this early-tour stuff is kind of exciting/making me anticipate future boots (whereas the Glasgow sound board just makes me want to live in that single set forevaaar).

Oh my gawd, that goddamn cetacean bit about 25 minutes to the end is wonderful. Save the motherfucking rales.

Archived