IGNORED

Bikes

Guest AcrossCanyons

Guest AcrossCanyons

Got a bike finally. Forgot how much fun they are. Also forgot how much work it is going up hills on one.

Shelled out a fair bit in the end (for me) - £170 or 179 or something, but it's really nice and I'm happy I got it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a bike finally. Forgot how much fun they are. Also forgot how much work it is going up hills on one.

Shelled out a fair bit in the end (for me) - £170 or 179 or something, but it's really nice and I'm happy I got it.

What bike did you get?

Me and a friend are planning in a few years to do a cross country bike ride through Canada and America, just travelling anywhere south pretty much. That's basically gotta be the nuts.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Ended up getting a "trekking" bike, which I kinda assume is the same as a hybrid (it was labeled as for roads and trekking paths). I don't know the exact make/model because I'm not around it, but it seems to be a pretty decent bike. Only took me about 10/15 minutes to get down to the river in town for a quick joint with a buddy where a bus would have taken just as long into town, plus a 5 - 10 minute walk down to the river.

Need to get some accessories now (lights and stuff I guess), how much should/do I need to spend on these bits?

Guest Ron Manager

Ended up getting a "trekking" bike, which I kinda assume is the same as a hybrid (it was labeled as for roads and trekking paths). I don't know the exact make/model because I'm not around it, but it seems to be a pretty decent bike. Only took me about 10/15 minutes to get down to the river in town for a quick joint with a buddy where a bus would have taken just as long into town, plus a 5 - 10 minute walk down to the river.

Need to get some accessories now (lights and stuff I guess), how much should/do I need to spend on these bits?

Decent lights = maybe £15-20? I think mine were 20.

Lock = I have a D-lock, made by Kryptonite or something I think. Cost £25-30 and it's pretty hefty, I'm happy leaving it locked up around Manchester. As chaosmachine says it is possible to saw through them, but unless you have a ridiculously nice bike (like his probably is) I think you'll be fine. The scallies around here would have to be pretty fucking keen and cleverer than they are to get through it.

I ate shit the other day on the uneven roads around here - was swerving to avoid a pothole and my tire failed to get over the edge of a a concrete slab which was slightly elevated on the side of the road, lost control and took a hard fucking fall. I was really lucky looking back on it, only hurt my shoulder and banged up my knee which hurt like fuck for a couple days but is okay now. Broke my rear brake near the handlebar and snapped the clip off my front light (so annoying, the light still works fine...) but other than that the bike somehow didn't take any other damage - I was impressed. It's inspired me to start wearing a helmet, there's a high potential for some serious accidents...

Guest ezkerraldean

gears y0

lol

i miss having a bike. i don't really need one atm though, Leicester's so compact everything is easily walkable

• 2 years later...

Dahon-Jack-D7-folding-bike.jpgDahon-Jack-D7-folding-bike-folded.jpg

I have this bike. Bought it off a buddy for 100 bucks. Works great. Never had any major issues. I would like to add some stuff to it though.

I got one of these about a month and a half ago. I was previously riding a free bike from the 70s that was about 3-4 inches too small for me, with shitty breaks and a rusty chain. The day I got this, it was like the clouds parted and angels sang. I'm riding some much more now, and I love it.

trek72fx.jpg

I recently got this one:

8x-disc-2012-2738561_1024x768.jpg

Obviously not for commuting but recreation. It's my first 28" bike and i'm loving it. Previously I've only had MTBs and the last frame I had was too long for me (my back hurt a lot).

Now this is such a smooth and painless ride! I now ride 90% asphalt and it's perfect.

And if I want to, I can turn it into a more (monster) cross bike, by putting some thicker tires on. Looks like I can fit a 1.9" in there with no problem. Not a real 29er but still a fairly capable cross bike.

I have a rusty old 2nd hand cluad butler from the 80s.

It's remarkable how well it still rides, despite the abuse I give it. I love that bike.

400-912568.jpg

Just recently bought my one of these out of retirement. Needed new inner tubes, chain and a cable. I'm planning on finishing the cable today so will be ready for the weekend. It's been a while but I'm really looking forward to getting out. There's a place called Whippendell Woods about 30 min ride from me with plenty of downhill action to be had. Hopefully the weather's decent come Saturday.

Once you use this system you'll never go back to a traditionnal bike :

MontrealBixi%5B3%5D.jpg

I've used the Boris bikes which look very similar. They are a great idea but I don't get to use them too much. I prefer off-roading.

What bike did you get?

Me and a friend are planning in a few years to do a cross country bike ride through Canada and America, just travelling anywhere south pretty much. That's basically gotta be the nuts.

Oh hey there me. Yeah, still haven't got that bike have we? Dickhead.

I wish there was a better way to store ulocks on a bike. the frame mount clamp things are ugly and unreliable... just sticking the lock through the frame isn't ideal, as it inevitably shifts into contact with your legs. over the handlebars puts unwanted weight on the front end... under the seat seems ideal, but there isn't enough room to loop it through the seat rails...

i kinda like this idea:

8R7TN.jpg

still not really ideal, though...

somewhere there's a bike lock design revolution waiting to take place.

yeah, it's annoying. i put mine in my backpack, or sometimes when I am running errands, I strap a milk crate on to the back for transporting things, and I just throw it in there.

I have a Giant Rincon, middle-of-the-road MTB. I bought it 2 years ago and didn't ride it much until a couple weeks ago I decided to start riding it to work. It's been nice but I don't know jack shit about bikes really, this is the first one I've owned since the Huffy I got when I was like 10. So I don't have much to compare it to. I'm starting to think once I lose some weight I'm going to get a used street bike.

The rear derailer seems to have come out of adjustment, because a couple of the gears wouldn't stay put. I guess according to what I found on Google yesterday, this is part of the breaking in process. I tried to adjust it myself. I started feeling kind of nervous about it because I realized that I don't know wtf I'm doing. But I went ahead and rode it to work anyway and the gears seem to be fine now.

I need to grab some lights too. I found some at Target for like $10 and then there were some at REI for like $40. Starting to think I should just go the cheapo route cos, really, I'm not trying to impress anyone.

I just hook my U-lock into my bag's shoulder strap if I'm making quick stops. I use a messenger bag and it works great, but I can't vouch for how it feels on regular backpacks.

I recently redid my bar tape and got some new toe cages [with vinyl straps]. All red. I'm going to get a red saddle and chain. It's going to look great on the matte black frame.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

I wish there was a better way to store ulocks on a bike. the frame mount clamp things are ugly and unreliable... just sticking the lock through the frame isn't ideal, as it inevitably shifts into contact with your legs. over the handlebars puts unwanted weight on the front end... under the seat seems ideal, but there isn't enough room to loop it through the seat rails...

somewhere there's a bike lock design revolution waiting to take place.

i've taken to either carrying it in my (messenger) bag if i happen to be taking a bag with me, or i'll just use a cable (which came with the u-lock) and sling it over my shoulder so the lock sits on my back, just as a messenger bag would.

not obtrusive at all, but might not work as well if you were riding a cruiser and sitting straight up as opposed to a road bike like mine where you're much more forward/down.

Once you use this system you'll never go back to a traditionnal bike :

MontrealBixi%5B3%5D.jpg

I've used the Boris bikes which look very similar. They are a great idea but I don't get to use them too much. I prefer off-roading.

Yeah Boris are the same model from the original Montreal one. That's the thing anyway, you guys are all talking about U-locks, and how heavy they are to carry, and all the stress you get from having your bike stolen....

This has cured it all. No more thinking about "oh shit I might get it stolen". No more walking to your bike each day hoping it's still there. Bike sharing is amazing, if you have a good number of stations (500 and 5000 bikes here). I can take one, go to a store in a big urban street, LET THE BIKE THERE on the street, and it's still gonna be there after I buy something. Or the fact that's it's a big ass solid chunk of metal, a car will get hurt more than you if you get in a wreck!!!

i have a 12 year old mountain bike that weighs a ton and feels like im trying to navigate a skip lorry.

Watmm thread comes to the rescue again. Looking for a fairly decent road bike that means i can get further than 10 miles from my house without dying

Guest theSun

i ride my hard tail jamis mtb everywhere i bike since it's the only one i own. this thing is awesome, never really rode a proper mtb before this. i do 80% road riding though so i'd like to get a hybrid or a recumbent. anyone have any experience with these? i have a friend who had one, said they're hard to get used to but pretty nice when you've gotten used to it.

spm_links_tour_feld.jpg

Archived