IGNORED

Bikes

Guest AcrossCanyons

i ride my hard tail jamis mtb everywhere i bike since it's the only one i own. this thing is awesome, never really rode a proper mtb before this. i do 80% road riding though so i'd like to get a hybrid or a recumbent. anyone have any experience with these? i have a friend who had one, said they're hard to get used to but pretty nice when you've gotten used to it.

spm_links_tour_feld.jpg

I feel like that thing would put one hell of a strain on my neck after a while. And I would be less visible to cars.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theSun

definitely not for city use. seems like it would be comfortable sitting more upright than that one

• 1 year later...

Dawg that is one sweet build. On-One frames are solid and it looks like you've spared no expense with components. FSA headsets last a lifetime.

Guest Gary C

Hybrid from Halfords (yuck) that, after a few teething problems, I'm really starting to enjoy. So much so that I'm thinking about going out in the rain this afternoon for a ride.

7720867544_0599cb6917.jpg

It's pretty basic. And I wasn't bothered about suspension as I'm mostly cycling to work along cyclepaths. But in another year, if I'm still enjoying it and noticeably more fit, I might buy a racer and go on much longer rides.

I live in the flattest part of the country so I really should be using that to my advantage.

Guest Al Hounos

Dawg that is one sweet build. On-One frames are solid and it looks like you've spared no expense with components. FSA headsets last a lifetime.

Thanks! It was actually a pretty cheap build. All the parts were at least 20% off, the fork is a new old stock 2010 model from ebay, and the frame was only 100GBP on closeout.

Part of it is because everybody is going 29er these days, so old-fashioned 26er parts like frames and forks are often on clearance.

Guest Gary C

It looks nice. And I bet it was rewarding to build. But why would you want a single-speed for offroad? Is it for stunts?

Guest Al Hounos

Thanks, it was really fun to build.

Single-speed is definitely a niche within mountain biking, but I like it primarily because it is a fantastic motivator to go flat out all the time. 'Single speed' is really just that - you have to go fast up each hill, or walk. It makes you conserve momentum better, because you know how much pain it adds to the next climb each time you make a mistake or have to tap the brakes.

It also has obvious aesthetic appeal, it's lighter, cheaper, less maintenance, and silent. And it works your torso and arms much more since you're standing and hammering away up hills.

Guest Al Hounos

attachicon.gif

Wub my homemade single speed jump bike.

cool, i had a dirt jump bike just like that till i swapped out the frame and fork. now it's a pretty sweet XC machine.

Had some friends move out of the city recently and they gave me a vintage Schwinn cruiser. I think I'm going to get some Parisian style handlebars for it for relaxed riding.

My single speed road bike makes me feel like I always have to haul ass.

• 9 months later...

Just had a guy get out of his car to start a fist fight with me in traffic. I didn't even do anything illegal or cut anybody off. Some people need to get a grip on reality.

Just had a guy get out of his car to start a fist fight with me in traffic. I didn't even do anything illegal or cut anybody off. Some people need to get a grip on reality.

late last year a man was deliberately hit and drug about 50 yards after a confrontation. there's also an atl bike commuting forum where loads of people have had guns pulled on them by fantastically stupid drivers who feel "threatened" by cyclists simply telling them to fuck off and not run over me.

A bum (at 8:00am) just said "hrmf just run over me" when I ran a bit too close to him... he wasn't even mad though, he sounded sad

• 4 months later...

Just biking in to say FUCK. I brought a new bike 2(2!) days ago and somebody stole it today. I've rode it twice. I am so fucking mad.

FUCK

Archived