IGNORED

Known (1)

Guest the anonymous forumite

Guest the anonymous forumite

Now. Really. Even if this track has a conceptual meaning, I can't understand anyone liking it.

It seems to me that anything they've released from legofeet to quadrange doesn't contain such a bad track.

This track even makes Dial look good. But hey, the fact that Known(1) is such a bad track is actually a good thing

in the sense that it informs the most faithful autechre fan on how low his heroes can go. And I believe they can't go any

lower than this.

Yes, you agree with me.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

copypasta: just don't take it that seriously and imagine you are some fat, gay low-poligon mage with a neon pink robe and seriously tasteless particle effects around the head trading cotton balls in a mmorpg, whistling its melody. and it will work. :cisfor:

I didn't like it at first, and it's still my least favorite track but I'm a bit partial to it now as it reminds me of Sega Genesis music, particularly the soundtrack to a game called Galahad. It has the same sort of midi sounds before the uber fucked up synth comes in. It's ugly sounding but the there's a distinct melody and this really isn't a surprise given their Black Dog and LFO remixes, those were full of stuttering synths on overdrive as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMPEHqi47z4&feature=PlayList&p=80E4A848B21CA848&index=19

I promised I wouldn't post any more in the other thread, but I just wanted to say in this thread that you're not alone in thinking this is the worst Autechre track ever. It's not bad in a head scratching, 'what on earth is that racket about!?' kind of way. It's simply clumsy, repetitive, ugly, dreadfully produced and backward sounding. It's devoid of anything interesting or atmospheric, and it's not even funny, because it's too long to be funny and it hasn't got any rhythmical excitement to it (which at least other more light hearted tracks have had in the past, like bnc Castl or Fermium.) It also doesn't go anywhere. And were they trying to create the worst synth patches in existence with this song?

It kind of reminds me of of track 4, Tapr, off Draft 7.30 in a funny sort of way - though Tapr is actually bloody wonderful, what with its beautifully alien sound design and its placement within the album. I also really like the tracks on either side of known(1), so it's also annoying how that travesty ruins the flow of Oversteps. If it were around 1 minute long it'd be fine - a short WTF? moment before the album carries on in an enjoyable fashion, before the dull second half.

So yes, known(1) is probably the worst Autechre track ever, including even Cavity Job and Lego Feet and whatever else. At least that early stuff has a nostalgic charm to it. This hasn't got any charm.

PS- that Sega Genesis Galahad music sounds awesome. I love Megadrive game music.

On first listen I found it quite annoying and the worst of the album... but then after knowing what to expect on the next few listens I actually started enjoying it a bit. It's not so bad!

I absolutely love known(1). I pair it in my mind with see on see. They are both oddities for ae, because they have a chorus verse structure, and they both express pretty cliched musical emotions. See on see is gentle and blissful, and known(1) is like an epic movie soundtrack. What I find very impressive about known(1), is how it goes about being so cliched and epic, but in a very unconventional way. There's something funky going on in the rhythm on the plucked synth (the lead in to the first bar is a bit delayed). The top synth sounds like nothing else I've ever heard.

Two bits I really like: The little false starts in the high synth right before the repeat of the chorus and the plonk sound after the repeat of the chorus that interrupts the plucked synth.

Is it bad that this is one of my favourite tracks from that leak?

:-O

I'm genuinely interested in why, because I know you make good music (and Awepittance and glotch and others.)

Honestly, I'm open. Get as geeky as you want in explaining what's going on in this one to make it work for you. :)

I will say that I love the three tracks that follow it, especially pt2ph8 - now that's my kind of melodic ambience. Wet and deep sounding, as opposed to the super cheap and dry sound of known(1). Its so lush.

Rather unusual track for Ae, but I think this is not the worst track from Oversteps. The worst track for me - Sublimit.

Whaaaat? How can you not love that track? The last few minutes is one of my top ae moments. Different strokes I guess.

Is it bad that this is one of my favourite tracks from that leak?

:-O

I'm genuinely interested in why, because I know you make good music (and Awepittance and glotch and others.)

Honestly, I'm open. Get as geeky as you want in explaining what's going on in this one to make it work for you. :)

I just really liked it, it really clicked with me as soon as I heard it. Some of the sounds reminded me of Japan (the band, not the country) who are immensely under-rated IMO. Sure, it may feel a little clumsy in places, but I think it's a definite improvement on Quaristice which I felt was clumsy throughout.

Cheers for the music complement btw!

Guest Garkken

Rather unusual track for Ae, but I think this is not the worst track from Oversteps. The worst track for me - Sublimit.

Whaaaat? How can you not love that track? The last few minutes is one of my top ae moments. Different strokes I guess.

Track too protracted, as if assembled from multiple live's. It could be divided into a few really good tracks, but overall this is taken rather difficult.

Archived