IGNORED

Laughing Quarter

splesh

I know what tekwar is, but (a) he definitely doesn't say "found" at the very least, and (b) have you read the rest of the lyrics, because, lawl, it's not the most coherent thing ever written in the first place?

I can get behind a TekWar ref, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFV0dD9ksg

tek war is very serious business... i think they might have actually been "scratching" a vhs tape of a point in the tv show where they say that.

lol :cisfor:

I know what tekwar is, but (a) he definitely doesn't say "found" at the very least, and (b) have you read the rest of the lyrics, because, lawl, it's not the most coherent thing ever written in the first place?

Sweet thanks for posting that... I've always wondered what that was saying (I thought it was "damn, like a sucker".

That's kinda cute though if you think about it... I wonder if they picked that cos it's like Aw-tecker. I've always thought of Goz Quarter as being kind of "cutsey".

incidentally, just which part of no awareness is being scratched on goz quarter?

At 29 seconds when he says 'jam like a tecker'.

I've always thought it was "Jam to the Tempo", but having read your post I'm now suspicious that it might say "Jam like Autechre"

incidentally, just which part of no awareness is being scratched on goz quarter?

At 29 seconds when he says 'jam like a tecker'.

I've always thought it was "Jam to the Tempo", but having read your post I'm now suspicious that it might say "Jam like Autechre"

Some guy posted a while back about how he met kool kieth at a some sorta shoe store grand opening, asked him if he said autechre, and kieth said "yeah, I said it" or something.

I really think kieth says autechre. Seriously, who (what) else would you jam like with old energy?

One of my friends linked me to Dr. Octagon the other day. I was amused.

• 3 years later...

Laughing Quarter...one my all-time Ae favourites. This track still rocks the casbah almost 17 years later.

Sorry to bump an older thread, but part of the reason I did so was to test the new WATMM Google search. So far it appears successful.

• 5 years later...
On 3/5/2010 at 3:50 AM, Guest theSun said:

if you don't agree with this you're wrong and stupid and your opinion is completely useless in all aspects of life.

the track i go for the most on this ep. it just suits my mood most the time - but fuck me draun is breathtaking, very emotional track which is why i avoid it at times. and laughing can get too busy here-and-there but punchy af. came into this thread hoping for some more latent shout outs, not everyones thing i guess.

The whole EP is classic but Laughing is The One. Flat grey sky, crisp breeze, hoodie, futile streetlights, crunching leaves, air electric with imminent weather pattern. Bustle everywhere but with space to breathe. All things moving along smoothly, oblivious to each other. Vague smile, contagious anticipation for nothing in particular.

Draun is of course the comedown, still as coolly beautiful but quieter. 

Also, best fucking titles of the whole catalogue. 

Laughing Quarter has a special place in my heart. For being from nearly a quarter century ago it's aged quite well. It was right at the point where Ae still had that youthful spunk but were starting a technological transition at the same time.

One of my actual all-time favorite pieces of music in existence.

For me it's not even the technological aspect of it, it's how they were able to make sounds that are simultaneously so delicate and visceral and geometric. I can really feel the October air on my face when I listen to this. This EP is so fucking impossibly perfect, down to the Fallingwater art.

47 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

For me it's not even the technological aspect of it, it's how they were able to make sounds that are simultaneously so delicate and visceral and geometric. I can really feel the October air on my face when I listen to this. This EP is so fucking impossibly perfect, down to the Fallingwater art.

Didn't that Ae remix of Stereolab's Refractions In The Plastic Pulse basically have a carbon copy of Laughing Quarter's percussion pattern? Because I blasted that shit to and from Seward at the end of September last year.

13 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

Didn't that Ae remix of Stereolab's Refractions In The Plastic Pulse basically have a carbon copy of Laughing Quarter's percussion pattern? Because I blasted that shit to and from Seward at the end of September last year.

It's pretty similar. 

I'm much more sure that the weird flangey sound toward the end of Goz is also on the Velocity Kendall remix of Pelt.

Still love this EP. I'm really a sucker for these robotized distorted hip hop beats contrasted to a bunch of melancholic melodies. Can't get enough of it. Even if the structure is a bit of a shtick. You start with beats and add layers for a while. Then finally you poor on the melancholy melodies. Play with it a bit. Build the melodies. And retract layers until you end with just the melodies. Love it, but I'm glad they didn't stick with it for too long.

10 hours ago, goDel said:

Still love this EP. I'm really a sucker for these robotized distorted hip hop beats contrasted to a bunch of melancholic melodies. Can't get enough of it. Even if the structure is a bit of a shtick. You start with beats and add layers for a while. Then finally you poor on the melancholy melodies. Play with it a bit. Build the melodies. And retract layers until you end with just the melodies. Love it, but I'm glad they didn't stick with it for too long.

I think a reason it works so well is it's not -too- melancholy. They're believable, sincere without being maudlin. 

7 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I think a reason it works so well is it's not -too- melancholy. They're believable, sincere without being maudlin. 

if we are talking about melancholy - theres plenty of it in 'all end' so they definitely stuck with that till now. if you meant about  structure - well they threw that out the window from confield

Agree on "all end".

Disagree about structure, but I think I get what you're saying. It's definitely more naturalistic and jammy now.

Also don't forget Draft followed Confield, and it was all made in the DAW, so structure was front and center. Of course they tired of that approach pretty quickly. 

Archived