IGNORED

Awesome Aphex Twin moments

Capsaicin

nice post, baggermcguirk. could you describe a little more what it was like to listen to that track that time you had a fever?

i don't know if it's worth mentioning, but there is one track that gives me the same kind of feeling as rhubarb (beauty / melancholy / pain / death ), and that's slowdive's "blue skied an clear". (also on a more esoteric note, the theme music from the 1991 arthouse movie "begotten" [they mix really well together as well, but I've spammed this board with my mashup experiments enough in the past].

i've put rhubarb as my 5am wake-up alarm and it's perfect. last week, i remained asleep during the alarm and integrated the sounds with an ongoing dream. won't bore with the details but it was beautiful and heart-breaking, as ever. i've tried a few syro tracks as morning alarms but they made me want to hurl the phone on the walls. eod's innsmouth from vol. 1 on rephlex is a more upbeat track that really works for me as a gentle morning alarm. i never tire of it.

my favourite moments in rhubarb are the feminine lead voice reveal after the brief pause and the bar when the synthetic clarinet kick in.

Edited by jchgf

This track in particular appears to be comprised of flutes that...shouldn't exist Like the resonance of air though ancient walls, or a lullaby communicated by an alien intelligence. Every once in awhile I have to remind myself that this was made by an actual person. I've been listening to all kinds of music for 20 years since, and have never come close to the feeling I get every time I hear the opening moments of this track.

Thanks for sharing! SAWII is also part of my history as a teenager so your message was spot on. I was not into ambient back then, maybe some Nurse with Wound (Soliloquy) but that's it. I've heard SAWII in many different states of mind back in the day and I never managed to get bored by it. Still to this day, some of the songs almost instantly make me cry and I don't know why. They remind me of something that is not of this earth. It's like being in a womb or floating in space. When Aphex said recently that he has a full album of tape hiss, that's one of the songs I thought about. It's not a flute to me, it sounds like a universal wind breathing in and out melodies. :) Beautiful stuff.

Fuckin' A on Rhubarb. There's a certain mood/emotion I experience that can ONLY be triggered by listening to that one track, and I can't even explain or define it. Rhubarb proper takes me somewhere else.

Lichen is another one of my favourites from SAW2. That comes kinda close-ish.

The part about 20 seconds long in Mt St Michael where the tempo halves, was always my favourite spot on Drukqs when I first heard it as a teen. I would have loved a whole track along those lines

yeah mt st michael, the last minute with the drums going nuts and he's going wild on the gating thingy. so good. fuck i would like some more tunes like that.

also the first bars of ziggomatic, i always play me invisible bass and invisible drums once the snare comes in.

56 seconds on goon gumpas always gets me

38 seconds on Piezoluminescence and again at 52 there is this killer bassline that also plays at 53 seconds on syrobonkus.

I wasnt overly keen on the album after the first few listens then i woke up with that bassline in my head and i searched for it before finding it in both songs. Even though they only play like twice its my favourite two moments of the album.

I guess the fact that its constantly evolving is why a lot of people dont get syro, most people need something to cling onto musically but after a few listens it gets better and better still

• 3 months later...

To add on to the SAWII good times,

One time in high school I got stuck in the back of a class room of a science course that I wasn't in to finish up some work I had neglected for some time.

The class was watching some nature documentary that for some reason was on vhs because our school was alittle behind the times monetarily (this happened about 2-3 years ago btw) while trying to focus on my work a shot of an octopus gliding around the sea floor really fluidly came on while stone in focus played in the background.

The vibes from that track as well as the wavering sound from the vhs coupled with the octopus doing its thing was just so stunning I lost all thought about anything else but the movie, really beautiful moment. The coolest part was that I was the only one who really realized what it was, so it was like a little personal aphex moment just for me.

To add on to the SAWII good times,

One time in high school I got stuck in the back of a class room of a science course that I wasn't in to finish up some work I had neglected for some time.

The class was watching some nature documentary that for some reason was on vhs because our school was alittle behind the times monetarily (this happened about 2-3 years ago btw) while trying to focus on my work a shot of an octopus gliding around the sea floor really fluidly came on while stone in focus played in the background.

The vibes from that track as well as the wavering sound from the vhs coupled with the octopus doing its thing was just so stunning I lost all thought about anything else but the movie, really beautiful moment. The coolest part was that I was the only one who really realized what it was, so it was like a little personal aphex moment just for me.

Do you know what this documentary might be called

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kymppinetti

While back I decided to put some random music on youtube while I was making pancakes. And I clicked SAWI playlist.

That was the day I discovered aphex twin.

Ha, just yesterday i was making pancakes and put a Donkey Rhubarb EP on. Man, i've never done such a beautiful pancakes in my life, they were perfect. Highly recommended.

All of Melodies From Mars, or whatever people are calling it these days. Also, the moment he said he wanted to revisit that release (still holding breath).

I really want that live version of Ptolemy that he first played back in '93.

[youtubehd]38S2u_Lwe4E[/youtubehd]

It starts one minute in.

there are more, inc. versions of the tracks that were released on saw1, those will come out on a re-release one day hopefully, so saving those for that.

Almost a year later but, you might have a chance in obtaining it :) funny how after that Ptolemy edit (I don't hear that much difference compared to the orig. though) you can hear a few other (previously) unreleased tracks like Window Peeper too...

Ha, just yesterday i was making pancakes and put a Donkey Rhubarb EP on. Man, i've never done such a beautiful pancakes in my life, they were perfect. Highly recommended.

Lizard_Pancake_by_LittleForestWolf.jpg

:emotawesomepm9: what a cutie

Guest kymppinetti

Maybe I should try it with Donkey Rhubarb haha. Ty for the tip.

Edited by kymppinetti

• 2 weeks later...

didn,t know where else to put this ,so...,short train journey,new playlist on phone,on shuffle,stone in focus,followed by sloth,mind blown ,forgot why i was on the train for a moment,are these tracks related somehow because i know sloth is ab4 but i "aquired" stone in focus and fuck me if its not the best 20 minutes of music ever!

CIRCLONT6A is incredible in entirety but that turn it takes at the 2 minute mark, the build, and then that climax during 4:27- 4:29 is next-nextlevel. The silence is deafening.

Also, this song

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001/t13-quadraverb

+ T08+4 and system700 Comp have me incredibly excited about what the future may hold.

didn,t know where else to put this ,so...,short train journey,new playlist on phone,on shuffle,stone in focus,followed by sloth,mind blown ,forgot why i was on the train for a moment,are these tracks related somehow because i know sloth is ab4 but i "aquired" stone in focus and fuck me if its not the best 20 minutes of music ever!

sloth is such a beautiful, underrated track, and let me tell you it sounds fucking mint on vinyl. that's where all the skittery blip noises come in.

as for Syro, i think my new favourite moment is the breakdown @3:14 in CIRCLONT14. so full of life, so full of everything that makes RDJ...