IGNORED

Trainer

halisray

Guest ruiagnelo

I love Plaid - have most of their albums except for Trainer... is it a good album compared to the rest of their stuff? Should I buy it?

Just want to hear some thoughts of other Plaid fans :D

Trainer is actually a compilation with some of the most beautiful tracks they did in the 90's. Has tracks from Balil, Atypic, Tura and Plaid themselves. You need to get it.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

First time I heard Trainer I couldn't get into it. But recently, I've been getting cravings for the Mbuki Mvuki stuff...

Shit's cash.

i agree with Caretstik on Trainer being essential for any Plaid listener/fan?.. it has its own beauties in it, and so on.but to be honest i rarely get back to it and if i do, i return most of the time for Cd 2,,, to the great "Tan Sau" and the powerful "letter" mostly... the rest for me is,,, mostly outdated :/ but the need for these two tracks for me is unescapable!!

before my old channel was shut down, i had upped tan sau there, and it was getting HUGE views, and there were lots of people that said things like "oh wow i was browsing for some kung-fu moves and this came out!! im so lucky!! :)"

Even though i have had all the originals, Trainer was a must buy for the unreleased tracks. I remember a few people saying at the time Trainer wasn't worth releasing.. HELLO! When there’s tracks like the beautiful "Chirpy" full of the old Plaid charm, "Prig" stark, simple yet full of mystery. Then there’s, "Eshish", "Flywings", "Jolly", "Uland" and "Tan Sau"... all brilliant tracks (imo). I for one am very glad Warp released these unreleased gems.. Thank you!

Guest sirch

^ i definitely agree, magdog.

also it was good to have a decent copy of mbuki mvuki for anyone who didn't have it, like me. and anyone who hadn't heard it before.

definitely a worthwhile release. i loved it when it came out and i still do. that's one of the reasons i really enjoyed that rare tape that was posted last year aswell.. 'cos of the early vibes and rarities, plus those demos were very interesting, in the same way that a lot of those early tracks on Trainer are interesting... and good to hear.

and with Trainer you get to witness their progression, too.. from the beginning of Plaid in 88 thru their Black Dog days and right up til 95 and the split, and then the fuck off tour with Bjork and their resigning to Warp as PLAID.

it's a very nice concise background check if you ask me. :)

Essential IDM-comp if you ask me. Couple of evergreen gems like the tracks which got released on ART and Clear. Massively underrated track is Scoobs in Columbia. It crosses al boundaries inherent to electronic music and dance in general. That track can be played in any set. From House to Drum&Base. It may look weird in a techno set. But a techno set is not a techno set if it hasn't weird, imo. So even in a techno set it's perfect.

• 1 month later...

I'm strongly considering getting Trainer on vinyl. Does anyone know if the music has been digitally remastered? You see, when it comes to vinyl, I much prefer analogue mastering. If the music has been crammed into 44100Hz, you might as well just have it on CD, no?

I'm strongly considering getting Trainer on vinyl. Does anyone know if the music has been digitally remastered? You see, when it comes to vinyl, I much prefer analogue mastering. If the music has been crammed into 44100Hz, you might as well just have it on CD, no?

:facepalm:

Because you can definitely tell the difference ye?

I don't think the mastering on Trainer is all that good, not compared to the original vinyl recordings anyway.. still worth getting tho!

Guest sirch

the outdated and sloppy work is worth listening to. it all has this pleasant quirky side and the melodies are often very original.

i love outdated sloppy stuff. it's more human and real (music) :)

Guest sirch

Ye, because there is a difference between an analogue signal and a digital signal.

So, is Trainer digitally remastered?

not sure, but i don't think so.

not like "the book of dogma" and all those classic EP's that Dust 'remastered'.

Plaid - 1996 interview

we could re-release all the very first Black Dog Productions stuff if we wanted I suppose but, in all honesty, we’d prefer to get on writing new material, and it would really just be a money spinner”.

indeed.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived