IGNORED

Save State bending

mcbpete

krYlon reminded me that a while ago I accidentally corrupted a save on my megadrive emulator, if I then try to load other save states it sounds like it's trying to create various oversteps tracks. The first 30 seconds is me loading up another save in sonic and the other minute is Super Hangon -

Sonic hangon.mp3

EDIT: Here's what become of all of this - http://www.recordlab...is-bending.html

• Like 1

And here's one I just recorded 15 minutes ago from loading Ecco Jr ... It's quite epic ! It reminds me of the tape loop experiments from the 50s. It gets stuck doing the sound at 8:30 until I restart the emulator.

Ecco Jr.mp3

krYlon reminded me that a while ago I accidentally corrupted a save on my megadrive emulator, if I then try to load other save states it sounds like it's trying to create various oversteps tracks. The first 30 seconds is me loading up another save in sonic and the other minute is Super Hangon -

Sonic hangon.mp3

That is pure fucking class

And here's one I just recorded 15 minutes ago from loading Ecco Jr ... It's quite epic ! It reminds me of the tape loop experiments from the 50s. It gets stuck doing the sound at 8:30 until I restart the emulator.

Ecco Jr.mp3

goddam thats good, what megadrive emulator?

krYlon reminded me that a while ago I accidentally corrupted a save on my megadrive emulator, if I then try to load other save states it sounds like it's trying to create various oversteps tracks. The first 30 seconds is me loading up another save in sonic and the other minute is Super Hangon -Sonic hangon.mp3

And here's one I just recorded 15 minutes ago from loading Ecco Jr ... It's quite epic ! It reminds me of the tape loop experiments from the 50s. It gets stuck doing the sound at 8:30 until I restart the emulator.Ecco Jr.mp3

Holy shit, this is wonderful.

very much enjoying this ecco jr at the moment. reminds me a little of some of the stuff on benge's 'twelve systems' album from last year.

I've actually just found out that you can do it even without corrupted saves. Just load a rom of one game and a save state of another, it's quite hit and miss whether a tune will play and not just glitch out instantly. The glitched sonic 2 music is just the first level (Emerald Hill ?)

krYlon reminded me that a while ago I accidentally corrupted a save on my megadrive emulator, if I then try to load other save states it sounds like it's trying to create various oversteps tracks. The first 30 seconds is me loading up another save in sonic and the other minute is Super Hangon -Sonic hangon.mp3

And here's one I just recorded 15 minutes ago from loading Ecco Jr ... It's quite epic ! It reminds me of the tape loop experiments from the 50s. It gets stuck doing the sound at 8:30 until I restart the emulator.Ecco Jr.mp3

Holy shit, this is wonderful.

Yeah! Forget Oversteps, release an album of this! :}

One last one before I go to bed as it's stupid o'clock - it's loading a save state of a sonic 2 beta into a mod of sonic 1. The 'retriggered' drums actually sound suprisingly autechre-y :lol:

sonic broked.mp3

Apologies for the noise at about 5:20, I was gonna edit it out but I'm sure you guys would rather hear it untouched....

One last one before I go to bed as it's stupid o'clock - it's loading a save state of a sonic 2 beta into a mod of sonic 1. The 'retriggered' drums actually sound suprisingly autechre-y :lol:

sonic broked.mp3

Apologies for the noise at about 5:20, I was gonna edit it out but I'm sure you guys would rather hear it untouched....

you must be blessed by the idm gods to get them merry oversteps-melodies... here are some of the NICER sounds I got so far lol:

lachenmann.mp3

these glitched out mp3s are great! better than oversteps. :trashbear:

these have more interesting synth sounds & they're also not buried under tons of reverb so you can actually hear them.

some of these sounds remind me of a nord modular g1.

these glitched out mp3s are great! better than oversteps. :trashbear:

these have more interesting synth sounds & they're also not buried under tons of reverb so you can actually hear them.

some of these sounds remind me of a nord modular g1.

trollin.gif

Moved as to not derail the krYlon topic completely !

Here's the full method -

1. Download gens+ ( http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/genesis/gens_plus.html ). My version is 0.0.9.60 but hopefully .61 linked there onwards doesn't fix the (possible) bug that allows you do do this.

2. Download lots of roms (obviously I can't link them here, but a quick google should help you)

3. Make save states for some of the roms. I recommend going to at least the start of level 1 of the game when making the save as presumably it means more data should've loaded into ram

4. Load any rom, and select a save state from a diferent game.

5. Pray the IDM Overstep gods are on your side

I haven't yet worked out why some games completely bomb out and why some seem to work. I got quite lucky with the three mp3s I posted above - usually you get just 1 or two held fm notes ....

This shit is awesome. Just ripped 20 minutes of auto-glitch/abstract electronic music thanks to discovering your posts dude! I'll post if people wanna hear...

shining force 2 opening into street fighter 2

I should warn you, about 1:44 or so some crazy loud distorted sounds start coming in, but I kept it recording cause they come in bursts and started doing some rhythmic shit. but yeah, go easy on the volume knob for this one.

streetfighter2s_000.mp3