IGNORED

Save State bending

mcbpete

Guest mafted

Got this by mixing the Toejam & Earl 2 US rom with the EU rom. It enters another dimension at 0:48 :aphexsign:

it even fades it out in parts.. that is so weird. this is like the most creative thing to ever hit da inanet.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Now's a time where I wish I was smart. There are probably opensource emus that you could modify to do this task alone plus output each channel as a separate wave file. Is this the only emulator that can do it? Has anyone tried other systems?

i tried it with zsnes, doesn't work. it just loads the actual game that the save state belongs to. it probably wouldn't work even if forced anyway, since snes music is entirely sample based (ie. tracker music) - it'd most likely just end up sounding like rhythmic noise bursts or something.

Edited by modey

i tried with snes 9x with 5 roms and got 1 1second glitch. wasn't very musical. Other than that, they just speed up or slow down, I guess depending on the regions. Not to say it won't work, 5 roms isn't much of a test. It was a hassle renaming save states to load them too..

although speaking of samples I got my first sample based glitches loading brutal32x into other 32x games. it sounded pretty bad - 32x games use sample based music like a snes I guess.

man i've got so much gold from this, i might actually compile some of them and release an album myself. as well as submitting a few tracks for this compilation! thanks much to mcbpete for discovering this excellent source of inspiration!

i'm thinking there might be interesting thing to be had with c64

hmm, good idea. how to do it though?

CCS64 looks to be a dead end - save states just load the correct game

Stella for atari 2600 also seems a dead end (not much good music in 2600 games anyway)

well you can save "cartridges" that are basically snapshots

so if you could find/modify an emu that lets you change "carts" without rebooting

same as this rly

well you can save "cartridges" that are basically snapshots

so if you could find/modify an emu that lets you change "carts" without rebooting

same as this rly

hmmm yes, your avatar IS very distracting.

ok, here is the result of the sonic 3 saved game screen loaded into ristar:

http://rooftopaccess.net/audio/sonistar3.mp3

i had a similar result when loading the same save state into ecco, but different enough to be called a different 'piece' or something. actually ecco has provided some really great results so far. will post more when i can figure out which games i used hehe.

ps. :emotawesomepm9: + :w00t: @ the sporadic burst of notes at 3:11, and the 'door creaking' sounds throughout the track.

Edited by modey

oh wow, that is top notch modey. bram that was pretty great too, was that also with a save state from the sonic 3 data select, it almost felt like I recognized it there. that one is a really great one for producing results, that one I got from loading it into theme park is one of the most ridiculous things I've gotten yet. but that one you got there modey may be my favorite from that particular state, hot damn that was somethin.

Edited by taphead

Guest Bramsworth

Wasn't the data select, it was the competition options music. So far that's the only area of Sonic 3 I can get to produce anything.

I don't know if it boosts the affect any better but I found a list of games and their respective sound drivers. Maybe doing saves between games of the same driver produce better results...i dunno.

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Mega_Drive/Genesis_Sound_Engine_List

interesting list, will have to go thru and compare with my results.

thats weird that sonic 3 doesn't work so well for you, it's the game I've had the most luck with. you should try out this state, this is right after you beat the boss and it doesn't have a perfect hit ratio, but if it starts going it usually does something cool.

Wasn't the data select, it was the competition options music. So far that's the only area of Sonic 3 I can get to produce anything.

I don't know if it boosts the affect any better but I found a list of games and their respective sound drivers. Maybe doing saves between games of the same driver produce better results...i dunno.

yeah actually one of my game programmer friends was over the other night and saw me save state bending, he was the one who suggested ristar+sonic - he said pretty much the same thing (combining games with the same engine will produce the best results). he also gave me about 1.5gb of roms, zole.

i might try some more obscure/unpopular stuff this weekend. i was highly disappointed that michael jackson's moonwalker didn't produce any usable results!

Guest Bramsworth

Tried loading Puyo Puyo into Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Since they're both the same game practically I expected more results. This was all I got :x

robot-puyo2 was just s very short thing that happened that I found amusing. robot-puyo might be the first somewhat ambient state bend here, it feels like an ocean waves with a sound echoing in the distance :D

robot-puyo2.wav

robot-puyo.mp3

here's some gentle melodic things.

ghouls into outrun 2019

http://alextripp.com/music/ghouls_into_outrun_2019_japan_001.mp3

outrun 2019 into virtua fighter 32x

http://alextripp.com/music/outrun_2019_into_virtua_fighter_32x_.mp3

yeah actually one of my game programmer friends was over the other night and saw me save state bending, he was the one who suggested ristar+sonic - he said pretty much the same thing (combining games with the same engine will produce the best results). he also gave me about 1.5gb of roms, zole.

i might try some more obscure/unpopular stuff this weekend. i was highly disappointed that michael jackson's moonwalker didn't produce any usable results!

your music is fantastic. are you signed? do you want to be signed?

your music is fantastic. are you signed? do you want to be signed?

thanks much! yours is pretty freakin' awesome as well.

i'm not signed, but i wouldn't say no!

I'd be interested in hearing any of those other people as well.

I think this particular technique is worth noting over the hardware version, because with save states it is much much much easier to use music that appears later in the game. And also I'm not sure if it'd even be possible to mix 32x games and regular genesis games with the hardware technique. And also with the emulator you can disable the DAC channel when it's putting out horrible noise that covers up all the interesting musical things happening elsewhere.

tho of course, very cool, and if you have any links to the other stuff you mentioned, I'd love to hear it.