IGNORED

Tron Legacy - full trailer online

Rubin Farr

this new Tron does look sterile as can be, but it's kind of stylized. massive CGI is OK if it's done artfully. I also think the original looked way cooler than this - and though that movie isn't exactly amazing, it's still got a great art aesthetic. i'll still see this new one probably.

see thats what people sort of misjudged speedracer as - it was extremely, extremely stylized. to look past that and see only "CGI SUCKS" is missing the entire point. not to mention that it was a deeply emotional film (despite appearances - I rarely cry at films but at the end of that movie I nearly orgasmed / cried).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm surprised no none here is discussing the story, which is what made the first film so great IMO. all i see here is "that looks shit" "this looks shit". i'm glad the story is mostly different, remember Sark and the MCP are completely gone, this focuses on why Flynn disappeared for the last 20 years, and what has become of Clu (or Clu2 as Jeff Bridges calls him) as Clu was de-rezzed after being tortured by MCP. i'm really curious as to what happened to the Encom intranet system after Flynn liberated it, and why was Clu always the only yellow program we saw, while everyone else was either blue or red? also, Tron himself is confirmed to be in the film, so it will be cool to see a young Bruce Boxleitner along with young Bridges. can't wait for this.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

[instert age-old TronGuy pictures that i won't repost, so as to keep what little dignity i have]

you've only just found out about this guy, i see

... wrong... my point was to lighten up the fan boy energy of everyone saying that they are so disappointed the sequel does look like it was made in the 80's.... not to be bring the new school lolz.

i'm surprised no none here is discussing the story, which is what made the first film so great IMO. all i see here is "that looks shit" "this looks shit". i'm glad the story is mostly different, remember Sark and the MCP are completely gone, this focuses on why Flynn disappeared for the last 20 years, and what has become of Clu (or Clu2 as Jeff Bridges calls him) as Clu was de-rezzed after being tortured by MCP. i'm really curious as to what happened to the Encom intranet system after Flynn liberated it, and why was Clu always the only yellow program we saw, while everyone else was either blue or red? also, Tron himself is confirmed to be in the film, so it will be cool to see a young Bruce Boxleitner along with young Bridges. can't wait for this.

i was interested to see how Anakin Skywalker became Darth vadar too. I'll probably end up seeing this, but i just can't imagine it being an exception to the rape of my childhood phenomenon.

i, like many of you i'm assuming, grew up with Tron on VHS being played quite a bit. i still have the tape.

20100310_001.jpg

it certainly holds a special place for me, and while i will see this film (and it'll be the first mainstream film i'll see in 3D) i'm not holding high expectations for it. the original "VFX Test" actually had me quite interested. the new trailer does exactly the opposite. at least in the VFX Test, they had this weird CGI face inside the helmets of the "programs" that actually lent itself more to being obviously inside a computer world.

nothing is sacred anymore, even though I think this is gonna be a good movie, there is no point in getting worried about something ruining your childhood sweetheart. Its just a waste of energy. Instead of living in the past just realize this movie will be entertaining(wait to download the 1080p blu ray rip, go see it in IMAX 3D I dont care) just get all butt hurt and pretend it doesnt have potential to be an enjoyable experience for an open mind.

Guest Backson

everyone saying that they are so disappointed the sequel does look like it was made in the 80's

well played sir!

oh my god this looks absolutely awful, they took everything good looking about the original and polished it till it had no soul. visually it looks far less interesting than the original film.

and that bit crusher burst in the trailer? wtf! daft punk you've outdone yourselves

couldn't help but lol @ the bitcrush... I was like wtf? I thought it was still loading or something so I rewound it back.

Nope...

Oh look another sci movie that's black and dark blue. I wished they at the very least went with the Tron2.0 video-game visuals, this shit looks so generic. The appeal of the original visuals are great because they were retro and colorful, that was the point, was hoping it would look more abstract and glitchy but this is 2010 and we no longer have Moebius or Syd Mead in their prime doing the designs.

Sadly, your use of "jazzband" is somewhat flawed.

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/47611-tron-legacy/page__p__1090139__hl__tron__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=1090139

Rubin Farr posted his "Tron Legacy" thread on 25 July 2009 - 02:13 AM... whereas yours was posted on 28 October 2009 - 12:30 AM.

Also, both threads (both started by Rubin Farr) were technically focusing on the release of trailers for the film.

:tongue:

Guest cult fiction

There is no way Daft Punk did the music for this trailer... this is generic, boring stock music that could fit into any film's trailer(say, a Bourne film). I don't think Daft Punk's soundtrack has been in any of the trailers so far.

This is what Daft Punk's Tron score sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrew4XtbjrU

I think there's a clear aesthetic difference... although this trailer's soundtrack seems more appropriate for the glossy, overbaked visuals.

At least they didn't reuse "Lux Aeterna" like every other trailer for the past 5 years.

The clear transparent light-trails are the biggest offender, in the original it was always about the different colored bikes having a light-trail of the same color, that's the trademark visual about Tron, that laser style visuals, this is nothing.

oh my god this looks absolutely awful, they took everything good looking about the original and polished it till it had no soul. visually it looks far less interesting than the original film.

and that bit crusher burst in the trailer? wtf! daft punk you've outdone yourselves

Yeah. Judging off of the trailer, the costumes and scenery looked better in the original.

fuck the fuck off, i might as well say something equally as offensive. Star wars phantom menance looks far superior to return of the jedi an empire strikes back

Did you think I said "better than the original"? Because I didn't. I said "better in the original". You and I agree.

I'm a bit pissed they didn't treat the actors faces to look all ghostly like in the original. That was the best part.

tron_user.jpg

I recently re-watched the original and saw all of the dvd extras that explained how arduous the special effects were. Apparently they had to send the dailies to asia where they had dozens of effects artists blow each frame of the original that had an actor up to a 12" cell and composite multiple layers, only to backlight the cell and re-photograph each composited frame.

I bet the process of bowing-up, layering and re-filming every frame gave the people's faces that sort of "silent movie" image quality.

Nowadays, you think they could just do that shit in a few hours.

Either way, the computer world has been visually compromised in my opinion.

And btw,

Phantom Menace can sukk my cawk.

remakes. although i was talking about this with some 24 year olds and they had never heard of the original. so maybe everything is a remake and we just dont know it.

well said sensei

:facepalm: come on doods... its literally getting redundantly masochistic to expect so much more from Hollywood these days. Your only hurting your own feelers

Archived