IGNORED

Impressions of Oversteps on Vinyl

Guest Miblo

i haven't received mine yet, boh.

but i must ask, does the track continuity suffer on vinyl like it did on confield, lp5, and others that had tracks flowing into each other?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i haven't received mine yet, boh.

but i must ask, does the track continuity suffer on vinyl like it did on confield, lp5, and others that had tracks flowing into each other?

it's fairly well done. i think the only thing i find abrupt is d sho qub not instantly bursting into the phat acid bass of st-epreo.. it just cuts

i got it today!! holy crap, such elaborate packaging. sleeves within sleeves!

and it's a good thing the packaging is nice and thick, because there's a dent on one corner and one side, pah! i don't intend to re-sell this any time soon though so as long as it plays ok then all is good!

yep time for some greens and some beers tonight i think! nothing like some oversteps vinyl action to get my mind off things i've been going through lately.

my ears must be getting crap coz i truly think the wav sounds better than the wax thing. more dynamics i'd say.

anyway, Oversteps is a masterpiece. i have no idea how the Ae dudes did produce this record : its beautiful.

Guest neirdac

I bought it yesterday and there were huge ads everywhere for oversteps and like hundreds of vinyl packs. Ok maybe I'm going a bit too far but buying some Autechre almost made me feel like a hipster. It is an awesome set though and I do enjoy it more on vinyl.

Guest Miblo

os veix3 at 45rpm = :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9:

/me removes Slint's Tweez from the platter, places side 3 of Overstep on, switches the lever to 45rpm and waits for the lovely Laura Darlington to finish singing Flying Lotus's 'Auntie's Lock/Infinitum' to give it a go...

Guest Miblo

Indeed it is sweet. I'm leaving it on and enjoying 'O-0' with its gorgeous reversed melodies, although the higher melodies sound a little wrong. And now 'd-sho qub' is also too quick and bright. I'll leave it on, though, just for shits and giggles.

(P.S. Thanks to whoever first said 'shits and giggles' - this is the first time I've been able to sneak it in.)

Look what my dad woke me up with today at 2 pm (and some Gobstoppers).

nicely done. that oversteps poster is good looking.

It's up on my wall. The light is hitting it just right so I can read the track names through it (since they're backwards when their face is facing out). :happy:

Guest Miblo

nicely done. [...]

My heart was in my mouth the whole way through. Flinging it around this way and that - you've got to be damn careful with this thing of beauty, Xyrofen. At one point I saw the opening of the sleeve, watched you dramatically spin it around and thought 'Oh fuck, it's gonna fall out!' I did enjoy the fact that you had your .wavs on while you opened, though. Nice touch, that.

nicely done. [...]

My heart was in my mouth the whole way through. Flinging it around this way and that - you've got to be damn careful with this thing of beauty, Xyrofen. At one point I saw the opening of the sleeve, watched you dramatically spin it around and thought 'Oh fuck, it's gonna fall out!' I did enjoy the fact that you had your .wavs on while you opened, though. Nice touch, that.

It was actually hard to get them out. I was trying to be super careful when touching it though, so I only touched the very edge. They're really packed in there and hard to even get to move.

Guest Miblo

It was actually hard to get them out. I was trying to be super careful when touching it though, so I only touched the very edge. They're really packed in there and hard to even get to move.

/me grins and says, 'You were struggling right from the off with the BLEEP packaging,' indicating the lovely pair of scissors you abandoned at 0:28.

Let me just say, though, that it was really weird seeing this exact same thing (you know what I mean) which arrived at my house the other day, first of all on a video, and then being opened by somebody who isn't me! But then again, if it was me in the video, well...

I felt like a total dweeb trying to figure out how to open that thing, haha. Especially when I got to the inner-goods and the plastic was on way too tight to use scissors. :trashbear:

It's like "My First Sony" all over again. I figure when I move out and get a steady job or something I'll buy a basic USB turntable for myself (unless my dad lets me take his old one) as our only vinyl player is deep in storage right now and I'd love to start a vinyl collection since I already have a music collection going.

Don't tell me I'm the only one that had trouble getting that cardboard off. :shuriken:

so oversteps is your first vinyl ever?

wow! good start!

Yepperoo. My dad has a ton of The Who and Led Zepplin somewhere on vinyl. He doesn't understand why I wanted one at all. >_>

Guest Miblo

[...] our only vinyl player is deep in storage right now [...]

Well that was going to be my next question. Yeah, I'd say get yourself a very affordable turntable so you can at least listen to your records, and then save up possibly for a middle-of-the-range one before going right up there for a seriously audiophile setup, taking into consideration amps, pre-amps and cabling, as well as, of course, the turntable, tonearm and cartridge (have I missed anything?). I'm possibly going to go for a middle-ish turntable - maybe in the region of £600, but I couldn't swear to that, and may go for something cheaper just to free up the space in my room (2xAll-in-one, remember) - and then sort out the rest of my setup with separates.

[Pre-emptive edit] In fact, from where the hell have I got £600? I was always thinking of something like the Pro-Ject Debut III retailing here at £169.95. Perhaps this was the very affordable one, and then the £600 would be for the middle-of-the-range one. Either way I'm obviously knackered and must sleep.

Archived