IGNORED

Impressions of Oversteps on Vinyl

Guest Miblo

Guest Miblo

Phew, all those of Vinyl! I only have Incunabula, Quaristice and Oversteps, but haven't yet sorted them into preference. However, it may be a pointless exercise because my setup isn't up to scratch. I'd love to get my hands on Draft 7.30, though, if only for 'V-PROC' at 1:27.5.

I've got a spare unplayed copy, yours for (paypal) £10 + £3 postage guvnor

Flamin' hell, this could almost be too good to be true. xy_politics, could you bear with me while I bank some cash, and then I'll gladly take it off your hands? Just out of interest, how come you came to have a spare copy, and could you possibly tell me about the condition of it all?

[edit]Since we're going a little off-topic, here, should we transfer over to PMs?[/edit]

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i fucking hate vinyl. the poppy crackling noises bug the shit out of me. i would take 'very slightly lesser quality' over those shitty noises any day.

'very slightly lesser quality', not even. Unless of course if the process of taking music that's entirely produced, mangled, mastered, etc. in the digital domain, then pressing it to a physical medium, somehow magically imbues it with higher quality.

Guest Miblo

[...] Unless of course if the process of taking music that's entirely produced, mangled, mastered, etc. in the digital domain, then pressing it to a physical medium, somehow magically imbues it with higher quality.

Yeah, I was of this opinion, and considered forgetting about Vinyl for electronic music, but although I obviously think the Vinyl sounds lovely, the whole package counts for something. Additionally, I even enjoy the leisurely pace at which Vinyl turns on the table, as opposed to the whirring spinning of CDs and frantic number crunching of digital stuff.

vinyl

..ahh the soothing turning of the plates, i like to watch them spin round and round.

i like to touch them, to drop and lift the needle on and off of them. i like to look after them

with tender care, slipping them softly in and out of their snug little sleeves.

Currently blasting over a pair of massive 1960s Tannoy dual concentric speakers a

pics please?

(the finest choice of a connessiuer btw. but then, i would say that.)

Guest Joebot Kill

vinyl

..ahh the soothing turning of the plates, i like to watch them spin round and round.

i like to touch them, to drop and lift the needle on and off of them. i like to look after them

with tender care, slipping them softly in and out of their snug little sleeves.

and there we have it! i have a problem... an addiction if you will. i can't move out of my parents house yet because i needed the vinyl version of oversteps... and night on tape... and cosmogramma... and eating us... and music for real airports... and the list goes on and on... :facepalm:

the packaging for oversteps is definitely beautiful. i love the double sided poster. brilliant!

but anyone think the package is a bit... annoying? trying to listen to this album while stoned... there are five sleeves and they all look pretty much the same. one can get a bit confused trying to figure out what goes where. but then again, thats just me being kind of a wreck.

but anyone think the package is a bit... annoying? trying to listen to this album while stoned... there are five sleeves and they all look pretty much the same. one can get a bit confused trying to figure out what goes where. but then again, thats just me being kind of a wreck.

winners don't do drugs

:trashbear:

i get the very outer sleeves mixed up, but the record sleeves have tracklisting on the very bottom of the back.

people mustn't be paying attention to the sleeve then...it's very easy when you look

20100403_010.jpg

Guest Miblo

people mustn't be paying attention to the sleeve then...it's very easy when you look

20100403_010.jpg

Yep, and the "(1—7)" and "(8—14)". Or make sure that you put them back in the case in the same place. Tortoise's Standards is the most cryptic record I have, since there is no tracklist anywhere on the jacket or labels, the only way to distinguish the sides of the record is by either reading the engravings in the run-out grooves or by knowing the lengths of the tracks and working out which side is which from there. I opt to always put the record back into its sleeve the way it came out; saves faffing about when I come to listen to it at a later date.

At last, my vinyl set has arrived! :D Royal Mail will be receiving a loss/compensation/whatever form next week for the first attempt... I did a video review of the package that sounds immensely wanky and will get uploaded on youtube at some point in the (near) future.

Black dots.

Insides are green.

Slipcases within slipcases within slipcases.

Vinyl sounds very "deep" and definitely better than the digital versions.

i fucking hate vinyl. the poppy crackling noises bug the shit out of me. i would take 'very slightly lesser quality' over those shitty noises any day.

But one of the AE records (Tri Rep?) says it's incomplete without surface noise!

Guest Miblo

Oh yeah, qplay and Treale at 45RPM sound awesome and are possibly better than the originals.....

Cool, just doing them with my .wavs (play 05-Autechre-qplay.WAV 07-Autechre-Treale.WAV -t oss speed 1.35) and the start of 'qplay' before the beats blast in is the most BoCian thing I've heard on Oversteps. All the comparisons must have been from playing it at 45rpm.

Incidentally, I fell asleep last night to Oversteps at 33⅓rpm as if it were mastered at 45rpm - so, at speed .74074 - but I was too tired to stay awake even to the end of 'ilanders'. Which reminds me, I'll do the lot now.

But one of the AE records (Tri Rep?) says it's incomplete without surface noise!

Likewise, the CD artwork for both of Slint's LPs, Tweez and Spiderland, bear the instruction "This recording is meant to be listened to on vinyl." What baffles me, though, is the fact that the magnificent Spiderland wasn't pressed onto 180g vinyl, but just a normal piece of the stuff. Simple monochrome packaging, normal weight of vinyl, but ecstatically beautiful music.

qplay also sounds great pitched down.

also i agree with the above. some older autechre really sounds like it was mixed to make use of the 'sound' or should i say 'coloring' of vinyl.

Guest AnalogicalForce

At last, my vinyl set has arrived! :D Royal Mail will be receiving a loss/compensation/whatever form next week for the first attempt...

I dont received mine yet! Bleep says parcel was sent on 15th March ?¿??¿

in Madrid, usually i receive the bleep records in 8 days, strange.

Lost parcel?

your set arrived yesterday? Can u concrete me what exactly day they sent the parcel to you?

thanks in advance

At last, my vinyl set has arrived! :D Royal Mail will be receiving a loss/compensation/whatever form next week for the first attempt...

I dont received mine yet! Bleep says parcel was sent on 15th March ?¿??¿

in Madrid, usually i receive the bleep records in 8 days, strange.

Lost parcel?

your set arrived yesterday? Can u concrete me what exactly day they sent the parcel to you?

thanks in advance

I would contact them if I were you. I received the parcel yesterday after they sent me a second copy on Thursday 1st April as my first copy was lost.

Guest AnalogicalForce

I would contact them if I were you. I received the parcel yesterday after they sent me a second copy on Thursday 1st April as my first copy was lost.

Yes, i wrote bleep, but their respone is that i have to wait, 28 days from the date parcel was sent which was the 15th March. If i still dont received it then bleep will make alternative arragements.

I´m sure parcel is lost, i hope bleep send another one to me-

Its your similar case?

Strange lost oversetps copies isnt?

Guest Greg Reason

Yay finally got mine in the mail. Nice clean package, it looks good. Didn't have too much trouble getting the sleeves out of the box, they're not too tightly squeezed in thankfully. Once you carefully slice the shrinkwrapping off the side you're set. Haven't put it on the decks yet, hopefully I'll get around to it soon. Just finishing up a bunch of remixes over the new few days, don't know when I'll have the time.

Archived