IGNORED

MGMT - Congratulations

Fg45F.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congratulations_%28album%29

A mixture of the last 50 years of popular music and Circus Vaudeville make-up the bizarre yet entertaining nine tracks on MGMT’s much anticipated follow-up to their Oracular Spectacular debut – but whatever it is you’re expecting from their second album, you should expect not to get.

http://www.addictmusic.co.uk/reviews/albums/mgmt-congratulations-columbia-12042010/

i must say that i don't have very high hopes for this album, despite the fact that i thought oracular spectacular was gold. i have a hunch that the sophomore slump will be strong with this release, but i'd love to be proved wrong.

edit: ok just saw the samples or whatnot on the mgmt page. listening now and if the album sounds like this first song does, then this is a huge step backwards...

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I've only heard 'Flash Delirium' and it was extremely meh .

I'm very iffy about this album .

Guest ms-dos

i sorta liked a couple parts of the first album (hardly a ringing endorsement, here...)

this, however, is pure shit. i don't even care to elaborate.

Guest margaret thatcher

not a good album.

loved the first though..

probably something to do with the almighty dave fridmann.

Trust me, that album cover is the worst of all time. Its so fucking dire that your brain can't comprehend how bad it really is hence you try to convince yourself it might be quite good LoL.

Let's make our album cover ironic and kitschy as a way to cop out of being not cool. :cisfor:

OK, we're on to these stupid little tricks, so learn some new ones. It must suck being a "hip" band.

Let's make our album cover ironic and kitschy as a way to cop out of being not cool. :cisfor:

OK, we're on to these stupid little tricks, so learn some new ones. It must suck being a "hip" band.

I agree. Instead of just doing whatever feels right you have to pander to what you imagine your poncey, trendy fanbase deems as cool. Lame way to make music.

I agree. Instead of just doing whatever feels right you have to pander to what you imagine your poncey, trendy fanbase deems as cool. Lame way to make music.

as if they said, wow the 80s are in, lets be super 80s. i wonder if they will tour with those old painter caps with tails on the back of them. anyone remember those?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

wtf? dumbass whiny little bitch. aren't we presumptuous

So are you mate. Calling me dumbass, whiny, little and a bitch. All of which I am not. LoL.

Hit a nerve have we?

Guest Rabid

So are you mate. Calling me dumbass, whiny, little and a bitch. All of which I am not. LoL.

Hit a nerve have we?

Read the rules.

Guest 277: 930-933

I kind of liked Oracular Spectacular but fuck that shit was overcompressed.

Even hurt my ears at low volume.

Goddamn.

First couple of bars of the first track of new album I thought, 'hey this could be alright' but after 2 more minutes I'm pretty much done with it.

musicly speaking it sounds meh, like b-sides and leftovers from oracular espectacular or something...

now, whoever recorded it mixed and mastered, must have been under the infuence of a specific drug that makes you deaf... cause it sounds like shit... i hope it's only the leaked version.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Hit a nerve have we?

not really i just found your statement to be really absurd. how you made those findings we'll never know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hit a nerve have we?

not really i just found your statement to be really absurd. how you made those findings we'll never know.

the artwork is by anthony ausgang, who did the art for E.A.R.'s albums.

ear_picturedisc1_com.jpgear_pocket_symphony_com.jpgear_picturedisc2_com.jpg

not a good album.

loved the first though..

probably something to do with the almighty dave fridmann.

Dave Fridman mixed the new one, actually.

This one is produced by Sonic Boom (of Spectrum, Spacemen3 and E.A.R.).

... they seem to be currently obsessed by all things "Sonic Boom"

they're trying to scare off fans basically

This is the truth. They apparently aren't too happy with their new-found fame and want to distance their fans a touch.

I'm listening to the album (streaming on their site) right now. Honestly, I like it. It also seems like something that will be sure to grow on me as I listen to it. Some of the arrangements are a bit odd, but I think the songwriting is still there.

Although it may not be more of Oracular Spectacular, I'm sticking to my guns. Good shit.

Favorite song (so far): "I Found A Whistle".

and, for the record, it sounds nothing like spectrum/spacemen3.

Archived