IGNORED

Modern Psychedelic Music

Rubin Farr

sunburned hand of the man

particularly the four tet produced album - he, amazingly, managed to fashion a structure out of their excellent acid-baked musical noodling

Guest JohnTqs

check out these labels:

Night People

No Not Fun

Important

I think you mean Not Not Fun, right?

if you're checking that label out, robedoor has some good releases on it.

Edited by JohnTqs

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O.

Growing

Expo 70

Cloudland Canyon

Jonas Reinhardt

The Alps

Kawabata Makoto

White Rainbow

Valet

Ulaan Khol

Kaini is on it but most of you are lacking, Tauhid knows what is up!

and I add:

Pocahaunted

Emeralds

Sun Araw

Stag Hare

Black Dice

Fuck Buttons

Nice Nice

Holy Fuck

Gang Gang Dance

Grouper

Natural Snow Buildings

Panda Bear

Sunken Foal

Vibracathedral Orchestra

No Neck Blues Band

Eluvium

Leyland Kirby

Gonjasufi

Atlas Sound

Yeasayer

some may not be as psyched out as others but they are all taking music to places I think are very interesting.....

and tripped out.....

especially recent Broadcast(and the Focus Group), White Rainbow, Nice Nice, and Black Dice(might be considered too noisy but I think they are very psychedelic)

seeing/experiencing Acid Mother's Temple live is a necessity to truly understand what they are doing...Kawabata is the man!

the Flying Lotus show I just went to was so freaked out, was a space adventure but most people wouldn't consider his music in this category....

I prefer this list of music to the Bonaroo bands some people are bringing up ITT :facepalm:

that being said, still a huge advocate of hypnogogic pop (as clinical as the term is). Skaters (James Ferraro has to be up there in my list of favorite musicians), Dolphins Into the Future, Pocahaunted, Ariel Pink, etc. Love it. A few names to add to this category:

Rangers - pretty new group. Just (re?)released an album on Olde English Spelling Bee. Sick 80s mind exercises.

Ducktails - pretty derivative but nice at times. Just released something on Olde English Spelling Bee. stoned-in-new-jersey jams.

Matrix Metals - James Ferraro x faded dance music? (on Olde English Spelling Bee records! redundancy ftw)

And I second Sun Araw; a bit like a maxed out Expo 70, but their recent 7" sounds like lo-fi psych dub-excellent shit.

Dylan Ettinger is worth mentioning too, his music is like John Carpenter movie soundtracks recorded in your parents' basement.

I think a lot of the wilder ends of Finnish experimental music are easily considered both awesome and psychedelic. Avarus and the whole Lal Lal Lal crew, Kemialliset Ystävä and shit like that.

Woods kinda rides the line between psych folk and lo-fi K Records-sounding stuff or something but I dig it too.

And you can't go wrong with the boredoms.

fuck devendra banhart though.

damn and I was thinking of the wooden cupboard.

I always associated the Night People label with that whole tinny 80s minimal synth shtick instead, like blank dogs or dead luke, or more awesomely, like 39 clocks, but still a sick label

Edited by KY

Guest Glass Plate

Sun Araw is kinda shitty, also Matrix Metals is the other half of the Skaters not James Ferraro, and the Old English Spelling Bee is just a re-pressing.

I also agree on Dylan Ettinger (one of the many great people on NNF that I mentioned, as is Sun Araw, and a ton of other great acts like Topaz Rags, Sex Worker etc. etc. etc.)

Yes the Finn psych scene is by far the best straight-up "psych" scene of the 21st century. Besides Kmilliset Ystivat I really like Shogun Kunotochi (sp)

On the night people label I suggested try out these guys: Ryan Garbes, Young Savage Taterbug, Dead Luke etc.

Sun Araw is kinda shitty, also Matrix Metals is the other half of the Skaters not James Ferraro, and the Old English Spelling Bee is just a re-pressing.

Matrix Metals is actually Sam Meringue from Explorers (also worth mentioning) and OESB releases an excellent selection of out-of-print cassettes. Plus it's a great jump off point that doesn't involve buying tapes off ebay lol

have you heard Geneva Hits or the Sun Ark 7", gp? They're both a lot better than the previous sun araw stuff I heard. For some reason a backing rhythm makes the eighteen minute long songs a little more tolerable haha. oh, jams.

Edited by KY

Guest Glass Plate

yeah my bad, I kept thinking Sam Goldberg but I was like that's the guy from Emeralds, and I couldn't remember the guy who did Wingding's name so I randomly said the other half of The Skaters lol.

But actually ever thing I endorsed is still for sale. (NP, NNF, and Important all have very good self-run web shops, and I'm pretty sure you can still get Kmillieset Ystavat etc. from a lot of distributors.)

Oh yeah I forgot about wingdings/windings too, they're a serious lamborghini crystal bootleg but really sweet. It ends up back at the skaters anyway, lol.

I definitely second not not fun though. Arbor is pretty sick too. But I'm reeeally waiting for oneohtrix's label to get off the ground.

major fail on not mentioning Excepter, alternation lp is the definition of 'psychedelic', they also release hours upon hours of free music..

mouthus' softer albums - slow globes, divisionals, sister vibration. those guys are the autechre of noise/psych music, slow globes is probably the best album ever.

Kemialliset Ystävät is always awesome, i like the last 2 albums the best, they're like a fucked up focus group.

OOIOO is a continuation of boredoms VCN vibe, gold and green and feather float are a must.

jan jelinek - tierbeobachtungen

bulbs - light ships

wooden shjips

btw i was thinking of wooden wand here

wire mag fail

ah! that explains the "psychfolk" reference and my confusion thereafter. i'll have to check out wooden wand. i checked out nalle, but her voice grates on me a bit but i'll give it another try.

edit: anywhere in particular to begin with wooden wand?

Edited by fox

major fail on not mentioning Excepter, alternation lp is the definition of 'psychedelic', they also release hours upon hours of free music..

probably not mentioned because the vocals almost universally ruin the music for me.

Guest Glass Plate

Oorutaichi and Yximalloo are kind of an extension of the Japanese super crazy distortions of music we once knew. Not quite "folk" but fucking awesome. (since people keep mentioned boredoms stuff)

edit: anywhere in particular to begin with wooden wand?

i only have one album, james and the quiet (one of the only non-cdr things, it's on thurston moore's ecstatic peace). it's really nice.

btw re nalle their first album will always be my fav. and there's a couple of legit free downloads from it too:

http://www.pickled-egg.co.uk/Sunne%20Song.mp3

http://www.pickled-egg.co.uk/Iron's%20Oath.mp3

http://www.pickled-egg.co.uk/New%20Roots.mp3

the first track, sunne song, has lyrics adapted from a john donne poem (i think) and is absolutely beautiful, my fav nalle track

yes hanna can sound a bit like a goat sometimes; i love her voice.

yeah, that's pretty accurate. since we're getting somewhat bogged down with the genrefication of it all, would you consider hauntology to be psychedelic? i ask as you are one of the more expert hauntometrists here (the music being hauntology, the thinking about and measuring of haunology being hauntometry)

lol. moreso some than others - that eric zann album is waay out there, but i don't think we'll be getting another eric zann album tbh

besides that - the focus group i think often capture that feel of 'polite mid-sixties english psych' - early floyd, the move, the knack...

but i mean it all draws on library music; i think there's something inherently kinda fucked up about library music lol.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/16/2019 at 6:41 AM, ManjuShri said:

Proper Iranian psychedelic business

Thanks! played this for my mum and she really liked it, having come up in that whole blues-based distorted garage rock era, she loved CCR, The Zombies, and Paul Revere & The Raiders.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2019 at 3:41 AM, ManjuShri said:

Proper Iranian psychedelic business

i love this. thanks

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 1