IGNORED

THE RESIDENTS!

Guest illfly mandog

Guest illfly mandog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwLXPEYZi2M

Ive been listening to the Residents for some time now. They are easily amongst my favorite bands. Over the last year Ive started to feel that they are one of the first punk bands. Now i know its not punk in the way we are familiar with today, but, take this into consideration. They where trying to separate themselves from the mainstream by doing oddball covers of pop songs. There where not trained musicians in anyway. They just grabbed there pianos, horns, guitars and electronics and just went for it. And to top it all off they where living in Louisiana in the 60's,a hot spot for racism,and dressing up like retarded KKK members.

I would like to hear my fellow WATMMers opinions on this topic.

Guest Enter a new display name

I saw them in concert last month. Their music is definitely among some of the weirdest things I ever heard.

Great band one of the best of all time.

Don't necessarily believe the stuff about them dressing like KKK members.

All their early history is undocumented, and could very easily have been invented by cryptic corporation.

I think my favorite track has to be Santa Dog 84 (the original is damned tough to top though....)

Guest illfly mandog

what are they wearing in the Third Reich and Roll video?

smelly tongues is my fav as well, chassis.

Edited by illfly mandog

these guys have always creeped the hell out of me. i find them fascinating, yet i can't watch a couple of their videos or listen to a couple of their songs without getting a feeling of dread.

That's an interesting and oddly understandable reaction. It's definitely basement dwelling music innit

really dig everything from third Reich and prior, along with a few later gems

On second thought, my feelings would be more succinctly stated by saying that The Residents should have been called Devo instead, as "devo" defines their music for me.

Also they have excellent guests playing with them throughout their career.

I got to hear snakefinger because of the residents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4k5bvYtozI

And this residents appearance with Conway Twitty is just bizzare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5qKhPBnlA

That's an interesting and oddly understandable reaction. It's definitely basement dwelling music innit

funny you say that because the first time i ever heard the residents was through this really weird guy i did a roof for. i mean a real addams family motherfucker. he hung out in his basement all day and would emerge every once in a while with a different pet snake in his hand. he kept trying to get me to borrow one of his thousand residents dvd's. i would have taken him up on it, but that would have meant spending more time talking to him (which was awkward at best), so i told him i only listen to gangster rap.

he was really nice, and even bought us lunch a couple times, but god only knows what went on in that basement all day with all those snakes and residents dvd's. *shivers*

• Like 1

Guest illfly mandog

Z_B_Z-just start with Meet The Residents!

chenGOD- thanks for the conway twitty! most excellent!

funny you say that because the first time i ever heard the residents was through this really weird guy i did a roof for. i mean a real addams family motherfucker. he hung out in his basement all day and would emerge every once in a while with a different pet snake in his hand. he kept trying to get me to borrow one of his thousand residents dvd's. i would have taken him up on it, but that would have meant spending more time talking to him (which was awkward at best), so i told him i only listen to gangster rap.

he was really nice, and even bought us lunch a couple times, but god only knows what went on in that basement all day with all those snakes and residents dvd's. *shivers*

This is a great story.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...

I've been following them since 2006 or so, this prolific weird band has an extensive discography but my favourites are Commercial Album, God in Three Persons, Mush-room or The king & the Eye but every work have something special. They released Metal Meat and Bone recently but haven't listened the whole album yet. Anybody here has seen them live? I would like to.

PD: Also the new track DIE DIE DIE is hilarous

see ya

Edited by Diurn

• 2 years later...

Last week I checked Discogs to see if there was a listing for The Ultimate Box Set, but there isn't.

We used to play Mark Of the Mole a lot in the back room of the grocery store where I worked when I was 15.  The communal tape pile was basically a couple early 90s Melvins albums, the first couple Butthole Surfers albums, Mark Of the Mole, the first Prodigy album, a couple European grindcore albums, a couple Gwar albums and Thing-Fish.  I don't think you could get away with playing Thing-Fish in a grocery store these days.

Edited by TubularCorporation