IGNORED

Old Skool Rave Mix Tapes

J3FF3R00

this used to be a favorite of mine way back in the day... it had joy division, aphex, beaumont hannat, mu-ziq, kosmik kommando, nin, bauhaus.

the dj is DJ Thee-o. he's mostly known for more techno rave mixes. This is the only mix of his that i know of that isn't techno ravey.

woah, this is a great mix! thanks

• 10 months later...

Nice bump. How in fuck's name am I going to listen to all this music..

challenge accepted

I thought the same thing. This genre is huge... it will take a long time... but full of ecstasy and rave and funk and fun :emotawesomepm9:

Guest morphis2525

Prelude to Rave by Kevin Saunderson. google it and you'll find it. if i had two more hands it'd get four thumbs up. like 1986/87ish

Edited by morphis2525

Guest carthief

Hey, does anyone have a copy of Thee-O's Komakino they could upload or make available? All of the links I can find for it are either dead or broken, and I'm usually good at finding stuff like that...

Also, if anyone's been burning through these mixes, let me know if you come across any with a darker, or harder vibe...jefferoo's suggestion of Technical Itch has been a great one, but if anyone knows of any other artists/mixes, that'd be great!

Guest Reinforced Hero

For anyone who's interested here's my Oldskool Jungle / Hardcore blog where you can download high quality 320kbps mixes that were ripped from the original tapes. These are mostly live DJ mixes from raves such as Dreamscape, Dance Planet, Jungle Fever, Desert Storm, AWOL etc. I update the blog periodically so keep an eye out.

Link: http://jungleflashback.blogspot.com/

@ BCM - Yeah love that Randall mix. '93 for me has got to be the best year for Jungle / DnB.

• 8 months later...

Hay y'all.

I have a mixtape that I want to transfer to MP3 because I cant find it online anywhere.

Anyone have a good suggestion of the best method of transferring from tape to MP3 with a 30 minute track?

I have an old version of protools on an old computer, but it can be unreliable when recording for long stretches.

I have a mac, btw!

This tape needs to be shared with the world tho.

Edited by jefferoo

Audacity is free and most people love it. On my mac I use Sound Studio Pro, much cleaner and useful interface, easier to use with various keyboard commands. of course, i've been converting my vinyl for years now, so all the power user short cuts make a difference me. In term of sound quality audacity is good, just add the LAME encoder and you are set. Use V0 for the mp3 output. id keep the WAV file to so you can pop it onto a CD for roadtrips.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

FYI, Soundmurderer's "Wired For Sound" mix #1 is now a free download.

Classic mix....

http://ia600407.us.archive.org/12/items/Soundmurderer-WiredForSound/Soundmurderer-WiredForSound.mp3

tracklisting:
Cobra - R.I.P.
Remarc - R.I.P.
Remarc - R.I.P. (Remarc Remix)
Remarc - Sound Murderer
Remarc - Sound Murderer (Loafin In Brockley Remix)
Cutty Ranks - Original Ranks (Just Jungle Remix)
Kemet Crew - Truth Over Falsehood
Dennis Brown - Rebel With A Cause (Bizzy B Remix)
Johnny Jungle - Killa Sound (Krome & Time Remix)
DRS & Kenny Ken - Everyman (AWOL Remix)
DJ Rap & Outlaw Candy - Intelligent Woman
Kemet Crew - Vibe Out
Krome & Time - License (Remix)
General Degree - Papa Lover (Stretch Remix)
Rude And Deadly - Lightnin And Thunda
Shy FX - Who Run Tingz (T Power Remix #2)
Shy FX - Who Run Tingz (T Power Remix #1)
Remarc - Thunderclap
Cutty Ranks - The Return (Bizzi B & Ruffkut Remix)
Tek 9 - Pushing Back (Remix)
DJ Hype - Bad Man
Capone - Massive
Shy FX - Simple Tings (10” Mix)
New Blood - Worries In The Dance
Demolition Man & Prizna - Fire (AWOL Remix)
Simpleton - Coca Cola (Remix)
Garnett Silk - Flip Flop
Ackee & Salt Fish - The Gunman
Barrington Levy - Here I Come (Remix)
Physics N’ Tricks - Crazy Tings (Remarc Remix)
Simpleton - Unity (Remarc Remix)
Darren H & Punisher - All Massive (Remix)
Ninjaman - Murder Dem (Lewi Remix)
L Double - All Massive
DJ Rescue - Untitled #1
Pure - Anything Test (Zinc Remix)
Harmony & Xtreme - Wicked & Bad
Trinity - I Selassie I
Krome & Time - Studio 1 Lik
Chuckleberry - Bad Man
Run Tings & Liftin’ Spirits - Come Easy
Marvellous Cain - CB4
Squarepusher & MC Twin Tub - Full Rinse
Psychokenisis - Secret Place
The X - New Dawn (ST Files Remix)
T.I.C. - Raw
B.L.I.M. - Jeamland (Trace Remix)
Dom - Drones
Nookie - The Prelude
Decoder - Fog
DJ Rescue - Untitled #2
Kemet Crew - Powering Through
DJ Gunshot - Wheel Up
Solution - What Can I Do
Souljah - 2-1-2
Northern Connexion - Bounce
2 Player - Extreme Possibilities (Wagon Christ Remix)
Plug - Cheesy (Aura Mix)
Shy FX - Dubplate
3Cyche-Outs - Kaos Future To Kuranaka (Fukakuteisei Mix)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok y'all.

I took the time to transfer one of my favorite rave mix tapes that is literally impossible to find (I've done extensive Google searches for this, over the years and have literally found zero results... other than things posted by me trying to find it).

I've attached both sides of it in a zip file, for you to download.

Side B is definitely my favorite, so don't feel like you have to listen to them in order.

The style is Acid / Techno / Happy Hardcore .

Basically, if you never got a chance to go to a rave (arguably, when they were at their peak), listening to this is kinda the closest to what that whole thing was like.

I have no other info about the tape or DJ. I think it was recorded somewhere around 95-96? Possibly in Chicago.

Kill it.

DJ Toni - Afterland.zip

Guest Hanratty

thanks Jefferroo, sadly the sound is really bad, like a lot of other mixes from that time. The tracks are really good. I always wonder if stuff like this can be remastered and made to sound better, like they do to so much old music is these days.

thanks Jefferroo, sadly the sound is really bad, like a lot of other mixes from that time. The tracks are really good. I always wonder if stuff like this can be remastered and made to sound better, like they do to so much old music is these days.

Cmon. Its not THAT bad. I've heard WAY worse.

Yeah. It's a mix tape. Sound can only be so good. It's also probably from a dub of a dub. The EQ is a bit funky, as a result. Who knows, it may have been recorded live at a party.

But hey, I think it's part of the charm of mix tapes to sound like tapes.

I did a straight transfer without any EQ tweaks. It's also compressed, in order to upload here as one file. I bet I could re-transfer it with some lower mids and bump the bass a bit, but that's about all I'm willing to do. Anything more would require some serious effort that I feel isn't really worth it.

It's a great mix.

I love that these tapes are all real time capsules that capture some real energy from the era.

I really love this shit, so much.

I'd thought about getting ahold of some of my ex girlfriend's Chicago house mix tapes, if she still has em.

I was never that big into house, but I bet I'd really get into hearing some of that stuff after 16 or 17 years now! Fuck :facepalm:

Edited by jefferoo